Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What exactly can/does the AC concierge do?

Old Jan 5, 2024, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WoodlandCreature

Who is eligible for Air Canada’s Concierge service?

In which cities are Concierge services available?

How do I contact a Concierge?

• Remotely:
    • For SE: From the app, click your virtual Aeroplan Card and Customer Support. Email and phone numbers for Super Elite are shown.
      • There are per-airport email aliases as well, unpublished, but following an obvious pattern if you interact with them.
    • For Others: You don't.
  • At the airport:
    • They are wearing black AC uniforms.
    • The following Canadian airports are known to have accessible, landside, offices, all relatively nearby the check in desks: YVR, YYC, YYZ, YOW, YUL
    • Others: Good luck. Priority check in agent, or MLL agents, may be able to trigger one to materialize.
Print Wikipost

What exactly can/does the AC concierge do?

Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They've really gone to poop since moving to YUL.

I have a business class Aeroplan redemption, with the first leg in Y (X).

I sent an email after checking in to be added to the onload list for J.

Here's the response:

Great. Except, I'm not actually on the list. Did this get forwarded to SFO? Why not add me to the list yourself?!?!?

This is an example of a very simple request that has no self-service alternative, but they didn't do it.

It's not time sensitive, so I'm going to wait until morning, but if it's not done by then, I'm calling back and not hanging up until I'm on the list.

I guess what really annoys me is it looks like they've offloaded the work from the central call centre (which should have a bunch of agents) to SFO, which has at most two at any given time.
You see my question here is why did they say Hello/Bonjour? At a Canadian security line sure, because then I'll respond and they know what language to use, but in an email where one word, and only one word is in French, what really is the point? Plus surely given they have your name don't they know you prefer English? Because one assumes your email was also in English. Picky perhaps.

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
When did the call centre get moved? Interesting. Maybe there's a more receptive labour market in YUL. Paying $15/hr for new 'Concierge' staff in YYZ doesn't get you the best pool of candidates.
$14/hour for another 5.5 (or maybe more) months.

Originally Posted by lcohen999
Jumping back...I was just thinking

There was a time that I knew a bunch of Concierges very well at a variety of Canadian stations (the international ones with smaller staff are easier to keep in touch with).

Now-a-days, there has been a lot of staff changes and with the loss of direct communication with them I find it is difficult to re-build those relationships. Not that they are necessary of course but are nice to have.

Always nice to come off a 15 hour flight and recognize someone you know

I have always said, the phone numbers to each city should be put back and if no one answers or is busy, then ring back to the main line. It solves the problem of local contact and keeps the 24 hour line going as it should.

It 'seems' to be a simple fix to a problem. Hell, I have this exact setup with my Unison PBX system. Call my office, no one answers, it rings cell phones automatically.

It is just a shame,really
This sounds like an enhancement, along with potential IT involvement. Are you new here?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Jumping back...I was just thinking

There was a time that I knew a bunch of Concierges very well at a variety of Canadian stations (the international ones with smaller staff are easier to keep in touch with).

Now-a-days, there has been a lot of staff changes and with the loss of direct communication with them I find it is difficult to re-build those relationships. Not that they are necessary of course but are nice to have.

Always nice to come off a 15 hour flight and recognize someone you know

I have always said, the phone numbers to each city should be put back and if no one answers or is busy, then ring back to the main line. It solves the problem of local contact and keeps the 24 hour line going as it should.

It 'seems' to be a simple fix to a problem. Hell, I have this exact setup with my Unison PBX system. Call my office, no one answers, it rings cell phones automatically.

It is just a shame,really
But isn't that the opposite? You call the central line, and if no answer THERE, it rings the local?

I've had too many issues at smaller stations where "insignificant" issues monopolize the concierge time, so that when I'm at the airport, in person, and struggling, I can't get help.

I see the call centre as a filter. You tell them the problem, and they either help you (if possible), or they pass it along to someone local. I'd much rather have that than the opposite, because it keeps the locals free for issues that require local assistance.

Getting me on the onload list did not require local assistance, nor was it urgent. But maybe there was an SE at SFO who had a problem and required immediate attention. I'd hate for my request to prevent them from getting help from the one concierge on duty.

Originally Posted by jc94
You see my question here is why did they say Hello/Bonjour? At a Canadian security line sure, because then I'll respond and they know what language to use, but in an email where one word, and only one word is in French, what really is the point? Plus surely given they have your name don't they know you prefer English? Because one assumes your email was also in English. Picky perhaps.
Yes, my email was in English. I don't care too much about that, but I agree, the word was unnecessary.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
my default lately is to use SE desk

they stay on the line until problem is fixed

have had trouble lately getting through on concierge line

SE desk seem to know what they are doing
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
my default lately is to use SE desk

they stay on the line until problem is fixed

have had trouble lately getting through on concierge line

SE desk seem to know what they are doing
I can only second this. SE desk works great for me.

I had some very good experience with Concierge email service lately: My recent MXP-YYZ flight was delayed and they took great care of me by rebooking me and securing another seat on a second flight to make sure I reach my destination that day. They sent regular updates on the flight status and monitored the situation.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
They've really gone to poop since moving to YUL.

I have a business class Aeroplan redemption, with the first leg in Y (X).

I sent an email after checking in to be added to the onload list for J.

Here's the response:

Great. Except, I'm not actually on the list. Did this get forwarded to SFO? Why not add me to the list yourself?!?!?

This is an example of a very simple request that has no self-service alternative, but they didn't do it.

It's not time sensitive, so I'm going to wait until morning, but if it's not done by then, I'm calling back and not hanging up until I'm on the list.

I guess what really annoys me is it looks like they've offloaded the work from the central call centre (which should have a bunch of agents) to SFO, which has at most two at any given time.
Junior/new Concierge: Just prints and hands the BP to you. You notice the seat is way back in Y and ask them if they could find a seat closer to the front of Y. They then make seat change for you and hand you a new BP.

Senior/experienced Concierge: Prints BP, asks if they can do something else to assist with your travels while looking at BP and notices your seats are way back in Y, then offers to find you a better seat closer to the front.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
junior concierge emails you to call when on the ground.

junior concierge goes to the gate and waits wondering if you will show despite you having checked into the MLL 20 minutes prior.

senior concierge meets you at arrival plane in first case, in lounge in second case.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
But isn't that the opposite? You call the central line, and if no answer THERE, it rings the local?

I've had too many issues at smaller stations where "insignificant" issues monopolize the concierge time, so that when I'm at the airport, in person, and struggling, I can't get help.

I see the call centre as a filter. You tell them the problem, and they either help you (if possible), or they pass it along to someone local. I'd much rather have that than the opposite, because it keeps the locals free for issues that require local assistance.

Getting me on the onload list did not require local assistance, nor was it urgent. But maybe there was an SE at SFO who had a problem and required immediate attention. I'd hate for my request to prevent them from getting help from the one concierge on duty.

Yes, my email was in English. I don't care too much about that, but I agree, the word was unnecessary.
I agree. There are menial tasks that need to be avoided from the concierges. That said, there must be a middle ground somewhere.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:07 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Smile

Originally Posted by BarrieTravelGuy
Man... I read these good experiences with the Concierge and it just doesn't happen for me. On AC12 from TPE to YVR. Stuck on the runway for 90 minutes waiting for gate. Was connecting on to 118 to YYZ. TPE couldnt give me my YYZ boarding pass and online check-in wouldn't work either. I had less then 45 mins to clear customs and security and make the flight. I called the concierge and they were busy so I left a call back number as well as sending an email. Got a call back from Toronto who said no concierge was meeting that flight. I should go to the connections desk. So why exactly am I paying for International Business Class and being an SE if I have to do the same thing as someone in Economy? I have yet to have a decent experience with the Concierge team this year. It feels like the people I talk to in Toronto on the line are brand new and don't really care.
I fly Business class for the size of the seats.... not concierge service.
You should have flown economy if that's the case ... you'd have receive the same non concierge service as SE.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:10 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Junior/new Concierge: Just prints and hands the BP to you. You notice the seat is way back in Y and ask them if they could find a seat closer to the front of Y. They then make seat change for you and hand you a new BP.

Senior/experienced Concierge: Prints BP, asks if they can do something else to assist with your travels while looking at BP and notices your seats are way back in Y, then offers to find you a better seat closer to the front.
Senior or junior is not really the factor. Pride and giving a sh%t about your job is what makes a difference.

Same as in crew staff , Some are old and piss%%d off and some are old and very outgoing. Same for young.

It's just character.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RZR
Senior or junior is not really the factor. Pride and giving a sh%t about your job is what makes a difference.

Same as in crew staff , Some are old and piss%%d off and some are old and very outgoing. Same for young.

It's just character.
Perhaps, however, this is based on my similar experiences with a couple dozen of the new staff. With over 400 AC flights last year alone (how dare I! IMPOSSIBRU!), I can tell you that there is a difference.

@24left had touched on this in the recent past as well... there is a marked difference in the way service is delivered by the junior concierge staff compared to the senior concierge staff.

Even if a junior employee takes pride in their job, it doesn't necessarily mean they have experienced soft skills or whatever.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
If you fly through YWG, you will see what a new Concierge, who cares, can, and will, do for you. There is also a new Concierge in YEG who is amazing. She, however, was a current employee with experience and great skills. I deliberately left names out.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
If you fly through YWG, you will see what a new Concierge, who cares, can, and will, do for you. There is also a new Concierge in YEG who is amazing. She, however, was a current employee with experience and great skills. I deliberately left names out.
I get the point, but we're not saying that "ALL" new concierges are lacking in quality.
The gist is, if you take a reasonable sample size of new concierges system-wide, I bet you will get more of what I have experienced.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I get the point, but we're not saying that "ALL" new concierges are lacking in quality.
The gist is, if you take a reasonable sample size of new concierges system-wide, I bet you will get more of what I have experienced.
Actually, here is my point: It is possible that some concierges are reading this thread. I don't want them all believing that folks are complaining about them when, in fact, they do deliver excellent service. We also have to believe that we can affect the morale of the employees that we discuss. We have to be careful about generalizations. For those Concierges, who happen to be reading, perhaps there is something to be learned by reading the complaints of the SEs on here. Please, though, don't take it personally. I have found your service to be extremely valuable!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
And in YWG they search you out and introduce themselves even though there are no IROPS! They have a great mentor in YWG!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Actually, here is my point: It is possible that some concierges are reading this thread. I don't want them all believing that folks are complaining about them when, in fact, they do deliver excellent service. We also have to believe that we can affect the morale of the employees that we discuss. We have to be careful about generalizations. For those Concierges, who happen to be reading, perhaps there is something to be learned by reading the complaints of the SEs on here. Please, though, don't take it personally. I have found your service to be extremely valuable!
I don't disagree with you at all.
And yes, we have to be careful about generalizations, but I also feel that a good conversation/discussion can be had without being black and white (not saying that you are), hence going with the "gist" of a conversation.
I think/hope that a reasonable person can filter these sort of things out, including any Concierge staff reading this.

As for reading the complaints of SEs on here, who else would complain, if they had a complaint? (I guess revenue international J pax, but their access to concierges seems to be a perpetual challenge according to this forum )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.