Wiki Posts
Search

E-upgarde to HKG question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite, Marriot Silver
E-upgrade to HKG question

Should I take the risk and split our PNR to give us a better chance at upgrading on the return leg from HKG?

Headed out to Hong Kong

My wife and I are headed on a direct flight to YYZ>HKG (AC15) on Dec. 30 and returning Jan 8 (AC16).

Because I don't have enough e-upgrade credits yet, I have asked my friend to e-upgrade us for the outbound flight. Right now, we are waitlisted as R=0, but J=9 and C=9. I suspect AC is waiting to see what LMU come through.

A slim chance exists for me to upgrade my wife and I on the return leg. By the return leg, I will have enough e-upgrade credits to sponor my wife and I.

The policy

However, I saw this policy on aircanada.com:

Travel using another member's eUpgrade credits

Currently, only one member may sponsor an upgrade per reservation. For instance, if a Super Elite and Prestige member are travelling together on the same booking, it is not possible for the Super Elite member to sponsor an upgrade for the departing flight(s), and for the Prestige member to sponsor an upgrade for the return flight(s).

A possible solution:

Given the above policy, I don't think I would be able to e-upgrade my wife on the return leg since she has been already sponsored once by my friend. To get around this should I:

1. Cancel the waitlist
2. Call Air Canada and separate our file into 2 different PNRs

For the outbound YYZ>HKG:
3. Have my friend e-upgrade and waitlist my wife
4. E-upgrade myself and get waitlisted.

For the return flight HKG>YYZ:
5. Repeat STEPS 3 & 4

Is doing the above worth the effort and risk? Should I just keep the wait list that I have for going to HKG and enjoy the comforts of economy on the way back?

If I take us off the wait list to HKG, once we re-request the upgrade we'll be at the bottom of the wait list. Executive First inventory is showing about 25 seats available.

Executive First Inventory for the HKG>YYZ is not so good. Only 9 open seats remain.

Thanks,

Azreal

Last edited by Azreal; Dec 28, 2011 at 6:25 am Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by Azreal
Should I take the risk and split our PNR to give us a better chance at upgrading on the return leg from HKG?

Headed out to Hong Kong

My wife and I are headed on a direct flight to YYZ>HKG (AC15) on Dec. 30 and returning Jan 8 (AC16).

Because I don't have enough e-upgrade credits yet, I have asked my friend to e-upgrade us for the outbound flight. Right now, we are waitlisted as R=0, but J=9 and C=9. I suspect AC is waiting to see what LMU come through.

A slim chance exists for me to upgrade my wife and I on the return leg. By the return leg, I will have enough e-upgrade credits to sponor my wife and I.

The policy

However, I saw this policy on aircanada.com:

Travel using another member's eUpgrade credits

Currently, only one member may sponsor an upgrade per reservation. For instance, if a Super Elite and Prestige member are travelling together on the same booking, it is not possible for the Super Elite member to sponsor an upgrade for the departing flight(s), and for the Prestige member to sponsor an upgrade for the return flight(s).

A possible solution:

Given the above policy, I don't think I would be able to e-upgrade my wife on the return leg since she has been already sponsored once by my friend. To get around this should I:

1. Cancel the waitlist
2. Call Air Canada and separate our file into 2 different PNRs

For the outbound YYZ>HKG:
3. Have my friend e-upgrade and waitlist my wife
4. E-upgrade myself and get waitlisted.

For the return flight HKG>YYZ:
5. Repeat STEPS 3 & 4

Is doing the above worth the effort and risk? Should I just keep the wait list that I have for going to HKG and enjoy the comforts of economy on the way back?

If I take us off the wait list to HKG, once we re-request the upgrade we'll be at the bottom of the wait list. Executive First inventory is showing about 25 seats available.

Executive First Inventory for the HKG>YYZ is not so good. Only 9 open seats remain.

Thanks,

Azreal
Your chance are very slim. You are traveling during one of busies times to HKG. One item is the Xmas/New Years travel and the other of the thousands of Canadiens travel to and from and back to school and work. HK is second largest city (next to LA) that has the biggest population of Canadiens living abroad. Over 400K in total. I'm looking to move there if I can. Now for your idea I can only suggest hat if you travel via YVR and then to YYZ you chances are better.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:05 pm

AC15/16 is one of the hardest routes to upgrade on......

SE - chances are slim
E - chances are very slim
P/Non-status - highly unlikely
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by Silvercity
Your chance are very slim. You are traveling during one of busies times to HKG. One item is the Xmas/New Years travel and the other of the thousands of Canadiens travel to and from and back to school and work. HK is second largest city (next to LA) that has the biggest population of Canadiens living abroad. Over 400K in total. I'm looking to move there if I can. Now for your idea I can only suggest hat if you travel via YVR and then to YYZ you chances are better.
I always get the upgrade on the YVR-HKG route. It is a 777 and not usually full in J, especially mid week. I would try that one but only if you can get on AC or 156 which have executive suites.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by mendy7511
I always get the upgrade on the YVR-HKG route. It is a 777 and not usually full in J, especially mid week. I would try that one but only if you can get on AC or 156 which have executive suites.
I agree with you and I travel here 2-3 times a year. I have been upgraded every time and count on that cause were SE. Although this time of year is super busy with Candadiens living abroad. HKG-YVR-YYZ is much easier too upgrade and especially if your E or P. I do use the direct path each time and in last 4 flights I have been upgraded at the HKG 45min prior to departure.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm slotted for the direct flight so we'll see what happens.

While not perfect, the seating map is still reporting 25 seats in executive first.

So we'll see at the gate what happens...

Fingers crossed,

Azreal
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:01 pm

Give us an update afterwards on what happened
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:12 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm slotted for the direct flight so we'll see what happens.

While not perfect, the seating map is still reporting 25 seats in executive first.

So we'll see at the gate what happens...

Fingers crossed,

Azreal
we are praying for you........ good luck!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

If I'm sitting in the lounge eating my Wheaties and I'm not at the gate for the upgrade announcement, does AC skip and move to the next passengers?

Just want to see if I have to cut my lounge experience short to listen for my name.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Thanks.

If I'm sitting in the lounge eating my Wheaties and I'm not at the gate for the upgrade announcement, does AC skip and move to the next passengers?

Just want to see if I have to cut my lounge experience short to listen for my name.
You should go down a little early, but they won't drop you if you're not right there.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Upgrade confirmed! Woo hoo.

Confirmed by email with 26 hours to go.

hmmm...time to figure out how to get upgraded on the way back.
Perhaps flying out on January 9th instead of January 8th...
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:27 am

Great News..Enjoy
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: UA MP - 1K

^
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
congrats, best of luck on your return upgrade

Have a Happy New Year in HKG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.