Question: travelling with infant

Old Dec 27, 11, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Smile travelling with infant

Hello flyers,

I'm a newbie, and hope you would kindly help me...

We'll be flying with our 11 month old to Hong Kong from Winnipeg.
We were lucky to book our tickets via aeroplan for business class. I've never flown business class before... pretty excited!

Here's our itinerary:
Winnipeg > Toronto (Aircraft 320)
Toronto > Narita (Aircraft 77W)
Narita > Hong Kong (Aircraft ANA 763)

Hong Kong > Narita (Aircraft Continental 738)
Narita > Vancouver (Aircraft 320)
Vancouver > Winnipeg (Aircraft 320)

My main concern is with the long haul from Toronto to Narita, and Narita to Vancouver... Has anyone flown in the 77W aircraft with an infant?

Any tips in choosing seats??? Are there bassinets? If yes, which row? And, will my baby be too big for the bassinet?

And, any tips on flying iwth infants????? I have no idea what I can bring and cannot bring?

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 27, 11, 1:27 am

there are no bassinets.... and when you lap with your baby, he/she has to be away from the airbag (mounted into the seatbelt like a pad).

Last edited by global happy traveller; Dec 27, 11 at 1:37 am
Old Dec 27, 11, 1:51 am

Programs: 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
My tip for flying with infants - please don't! Especially in C or F!
Old Dec 27, 11, 1:52 am

Programs: HH-S WS-G
Call ahead AC has to know that you will be bringing a lap child.
Old Dec 27, 11, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by originalfoodie View Post
here we go again.............................. ummm please dont bring the two drunken RIM that cause the diversion a mth back....... and also put a sock to those snoring.............. and a group of shopping trip ladies, sipping champagne and talking loudly about their personal stuff that the entire C/F cabin can hear............

geezzzzzzz for cryin out loud
Old Dec 27, 11, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by originalfoodie View Post
May I never have the pleasure of flying with you.

Just travelled with our eight week old daughter and five year old son. Just bring things they like. We were lucky and they didnt make a noise for the eight hour trip. But if he cries he cries. He is a baby. I hope you and your family enjoy the flight. Remember that even though some special individuals will be grumpy about it you have just as much a right to be there as anyone else.
Old Dec 27, 11, 7:43 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Welcome to FT.
You will have no problems with infants. No bassinets in J on your flights, and any
seat is pretty much as good as any other, although you will be assigned a seat that
has 2 oxygen masks.
Please do a search through this forum on infants, there have been at least 50 threads
with advice and answers to every question you may have.
Old Dec 27, 11, 9:40 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by josh_saunders View Post

Just travelled with our eight week old daughter and five year old son. Just bring things they like. We were lucky and they didnt make a noise for the eight hour trip. But if he cries he cries. He is a baby. I hope you and your family enjoy the flight. Remember that even though some special individuals will be grumpy about it you have just as much a right to be there as anyone else.
+1

Laying in bed in Paris, having arrived this morning with 6 year old, 4 year old, and 9 month old - all in J. Not a peep from the 3 kids the entire flight.

Plan ahead! Search on ft for prior threads.
Old Dec 27, 11, 10:41 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Search the Travelling with Children thread.

All seats are great. Eat in shifts so other spouse can hold infant. Sleeping should be a breeze. Take LOTS of diapers. Take toys they like. Bottle for TO & L to avoid ear aches from pressure. Take a change of clothes for baby and an extra t shirt for you If walking, take them for a stroll once or twice, but set boundaries for them. Don't let them run wild. If they cry, they'll stop, don't get upset.

FWIW you may not find the products your child is used to in HK. You may want to take along their cereal mix or other BF.

Much easier to travel with them at this age IMO then when 2-3 yo. Have a great time.

AC will likely charge you 10% of J fare if you haven't told them you have a lap child. Contact AP / AC.
Old Dec 27, 11, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Thank you everyone! As for now, we're seated in 1G&K, are those good seats for a lap baby?? Or is the popular row 6 better??

I'm thinking of changing our seats to either 1K and 2G/3G or 6A&D or 6G&K...

which is better??

THANKS SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!
Old Dec 27, 11, 2:20 pm

Programs: Continental SE 2010, Air Canada Elite 2011
Originally Posted by kiyanwong View Post
Thank you everyone! As for now, we're seated in 1G&K, are those good seats for a lap baby?? Or is the popular row 6 better??

I'm thinking of changing our seats to either 1K and 2G/3G or 6A&D or 6G&K...

which is better??

THANKS SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!
Go for a seat at the rear of any of the 2 business sections - pick a window seat. The window seats are darker than those in the centre and the seats at the back have an extra ledge (because there is no seat behind) where you can store the bits and bobs you bring with a baby.
Old Dec 27, 11, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by kiyanwong View Post

Narita > Vancouver (Aircraft 320)
You will be swimming a long ways if it were a A-320. Should be a A330.
Old Dec 28, 11, 12:28 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Good luck on your trip and ignore the naysayers of there are any. Few
Tips:
- if ur kids cry don't try to shhhhhh them. It doesn't help.
- if ur kids cry walk around with them.
- kids don't like to do things for a long time. And a 11 month old can't be bothered with with IFE. Bring lots of distractions.
-make sure u have lot of snacks. Airlines cater to adults more them children's appetites.
- have fun and hope for the best!
Old Dec 28, 11, 10:14 am

We've done quite a few flights in AC Pods with young kids. My tip: try to get the last pods in the J section. They are more private with a wall behind you and provide a bit more space for toys exc. The pods are also excellent with young kids as you can recline them and it becomes, effectively, a small play area with walls around it. This does mean that the parent with the child would need to be turned around and sitting cross legged - only practical if you're not too big. This also doesnít work if there is turbulence as you can't have your seatbelt on.

If you find that your pod doesnít recline take a look and see if it's the fault of one of our kids toys having slipped down in to the gears on a previous flight.

And, if you're bothered by kids, just appreciate how much less annoying they are that having drunken business travelers fighting and requiring unscheduled landings. You canít ignore that by putting on your noise cancelling headphones and watching a movie.
Old Dec 28, 11, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by josh_saunders View Post

I think you got the rights confused. Would anyone paying a full business class fare not expect the right to a comfortable flight. After all the baby may or not be hers/his. Should it not be reasonable to expect all passengers to have an enjoyable flight not just the baby's family?

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Dec 28, 11 at 6:47 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: