Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tdott
What you don't seem to understand is that 2013 requirements, are effective starting January 1, 2012!!!! People have already made travel plans which would have changed if they knew that AC planned to devalue their current reward level and increase the requirements for this so called new levels.

There goes your so far in advance theory.

Basically giving people 2 weeks noticed, for travel where plans are made well in advance.

As a 5+ yr Elite member, I am not happy with the changes. I will be switching programs. Thank you for convincing me it was the right move as I've been considering it for a while now.

If I had known this all my *A flights would be cancelled. Thankfully I only have one, which is a rewarding booking.
Well, some of us fly exclusively within Canada, so we are stuck. The only thing we can do is to adjust. I sort of anticipated negative changes and booked accordingly. I booked my Jan. 6-th trip to YHZ with an extra segment (YXU-YYZ-YOW-YHZ instead of YXU-YYZ-YHZ) and I will continue to do so whenever it's possible.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by YEG USER
Non issue. AC currently sells a worldwide lounge pass to people without satus. I assume they'd likely give you something similar.
ML Club Worldwide won't get you into a LH SEN lounge.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:09 am

Interesting observation, so far majority of the people commented 'happy' with the program are SEs

The fun part will be the E reaction coming forward

Here is my question to this:

"Members who have earned Million Mile recognition will continue to enjoy benefits similar to those awarded upon their initial qualification: If your status is to never fall below Elite, in 2013 you will be entitled to the same recognition as those members who earn 50,000 Status Miles or 50 Status Flight Segments. Of course, you will still be entitled to qualify for a higher level of recognition based on your annual flight activities."

What if your a MM member and fell below Elite? Do you get the 35,000 mile level? The answer above only address "if you never fall below"

Any for yvr76...... the new 35K Elite = *S, *S will not permit you to other carrier's lounges.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: AC*E
I did 48k status miles in 2011, all for leisure. I'm cant do 50K for 2013 is not doable, 35K is not worth it to me. The changes means they lost the ~48k in revenue ticket from me for 2012.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
I think the 35K (35 segments) level is a good product for the domestic traveler. I’ve had many years over 35 segments but below 35K. This new level will now offer the frequent domestic traveler MLL access, priority security clearance and upgrades from T+ on the NA routes. We’ll lose priority baggage handling for whatever that’s worth! I understand that some will be disappointed to loose *G status but we had a feeling that the new 50K *G requirement was coming. I’m overall pleased with the new structure.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:15 am

The good thing for us.... 50-75K range people.... is the ability to shop around.....

I have enough ecredits to cover the first 40K plus two transcons i guess?!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
the change makes sense. there was just too many AC ppl with Gold status. Most of plane is half boarded on Thursday evenings after letting Gold members pre-board.

I'm disappointed by the lack of addition benefits. Most of the other airlines like Delta, US Airways, United offer complimentary upgrades for their 100K flyers, yet AC hasn't added that.

I'll hit SE this year but i'm not sure i'll bother in 2012.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: AC-2MM & 75K
As "million mile" I am elite for life. I wonder what benefits I have now?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
As others have posted, it is nice to have a difference between someone who flies 35k and 95k, especially when it comes to upgrades, rather than be by fare and then time of request. I would have hated to not received my upgrade having 95k status miles when someone with 35k did.

Am I happy or not? I'm indifferent. What really pissed me off 1) Fuel surcharges on partner airlines booking, and 2) increases in mileage for Business/First Class redemptions.

Either way, we all have a choice, and that's to not fly with Air Canada. I know a lot of ppl complained about the "crowd-ness" of the lounges, perhaps this will make it better.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Santander
Overall I don't like these changes. 5-tiered Elite programme? Seriously? AC is a small airline compared to the US airlines which have 4 elite tiers to "thin out" the elites. No other airline has 2 *S tiers, and I can only think of one (VN) which has two silver tiers at all. I would prefer it if it stayed at 3 tiers like most airlines. I'm glad I'm not flying AC anymore next year.
The 35k tier is only due to the history of the program. If they were doing it today, you would just have the 4 tiers at 25k increments. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it a few years down the road.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: AE, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by drdrma
I did 48k status miles in 2011, all for leisure. I'm cant do 50K for 2013 is not doable, 35K is not worth it to me. The changes means they lost the ~48k in revenue ticket from me for 2012.
I'm in the same boat. I left in 2011 due to the cuts. Earned about 15k in AC (slightly more than the min reqs in case I had a change of heart.) Now knowing that 2013 means even further reduction in benefit for Elites it pretty much sealed my case. Won't even try to get AC status anymore. I won't abandon AC as there's some cases where I just have to (business pays for flying) but as 95% of my previous 35-43k ranges, I never hit 45k, were on my own dime there's just no incentive anymore. Time to shop by price rather than loyalty/status.

It's been um... interesting!

Originally Posted by yvr76
The 35k tier is only due to the history of the program. If they were doing it today, you would just have the 4 tiers at 25k increments. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it a few years down the road.
You can bet that'll come as the business model tries to aggressively encourage people to fly more.

Still, thanks for letting us know sooner than later. Much better than finding out Dec 2012!

Last edited by helraiser; Dec 22, 2011 at 11:31 am
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:19 am

Wait........ 35K gets to choose this option????!!!

"Complimentary Star Alliance Lounge access"

and Priority Boarding still?

Source: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...2013.html#none
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by YOWzer
I know a lot of ppl complained about the "crowd-ness" of the lounges, perhaps this will make it better.
I also hope half the plane doesn't line up for priority boarding in 2013.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
And for yvr76...... the new 35K Elite = *S, *S will not permit you to other carrier's lounges.
Yes, but you can select *Alliance lounge access as a select privilege (although at the expense of e-credits).
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: 2MM, Lifetime E75K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Does this mean there will be less gate lice when pre-boarding?

I wonder if there are also plans to introduce pre-boarding by status - that is to offer pre-boarding to J Class and SE's first, and then down the hierarchy list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.