Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:12 pm

Location: Near the pole, at the beach, top of mountains, underwater, golfing
Programs: AC E, FPC plat, TK E, VA G, HIlton diam, spg plat, CX gold, US air Plat, Hyatt Dia, A club Plat
sucks to be elite

double elite family, husband and wife, leisure travel, paid from our own dime, we reach 38k-45k status each year with combination of latitude fares to haiwaii / florida and tango plus NA and overseas, plus many many first class AE and US air redemptions...

spent 7-10k each to reach lowly elite, not one single overseas flight upgraded in 2011 due to reduction of r spaces... plus with the 2013 enhancements, our choices are:

1. go with agean for star gold
2. go with UA
3. stay with AC to try for SE at low fares to SIN. 5-6 times to SIN for 1.5k each.. SE= 8k spending?. not likely to happen with tango plus earning only 50% status.
4. ditch AC and book only on low fares / services / awards redemptions.
5. any other options without AC ?

looks like AC and AE will both lose all my business. no reasons to be elite anymore, even at the 50k mark, with the reduction of R space, competition from SE and now Elite +..

our paid flights will go to agean. award flights will be with other US UA...

A call to unhappy elites: "hasta la vista air canada" . wesjet now look promising.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC*E, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaNYC
The changes should not come as a surprise to anyone. There is no other airline in North America that gives their FFs the same benefits at 35,000 miles/year as AC did for so many years. This alignment was going to happen sooner or later.

I did 75K miles this year, but I will have a reduced travel pattern next year. So even though it will be difficult to make 50K and achieve *G, I accept the changes and appreciate the notice and the way in which everything has been communicated so far.

Aegean still remains an option for getting *G at 20,000 miles, but don't expect that to last long either.

TK and Asiana also offer *G status at competitive levels and they usually award status for 2 years.

Looking forward to more details in the weeks ahead.

Edited to add: TK's program seems to be especially inviting. For their elite status (*G equivalent) the initial qualification is the hardest at 40K within a year of the start of your membership. The status is good for 2 years. Then, for members residing outside of Turkey, you only need to get 37,500 with this 2-year period to requalify. And TK will let you buy up to 10,000 status to maintain your status. So basically after the initial qualification, you can fly 13,750 per year and spend 300EUR to buy the 10K top-up and continue to enjoy *G status. Not a bad deal.

There is also no other airline in NA that does "Tango" fares with zero QM.
Air Canada fares are also 90% of the time way more $ than competing NA airlines, especially if you can fly from a US border town.
United, etc often have DEQM promos in the year. Zero chance of that with AC.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:16 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mkjr
i think what he is getting at is at least AC is telling you what you will get in 2013. i do agree, those who booked for 2012 trips on the assumption levels would stay the way they are can be upset, but no more upset than you would be when you find out your 2013 benefits are devalued.
Fair enough, it's good to know ahead of time and plan accordingly, but it is still a huge devaluation of the program that will have a major impact on many travelers.

Last edited by m.y; Dec 22, 2011 at 2:38 pm
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I make by doing international travel, so this will hit me hard, no more upgrades on those routes. I can't see myself making E at 50,000, all my travel is personal.
Oh hum, one more year of E an then...... ?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by yvr76
- Tango : 75% (currently only 50% for international)
- Tango+: 100%
- Latitude: 125% (currently no COS bonus)
- Discount J: 150% (international currently only 125%)
- Full-fare J : 175% (currently 150%)
Why should there be COS for Lat and Exec Flexible? If you're paying for that flexibility (except for maybe Lat FP) you aren't doing it for the COS miles if they did exist. I personally would have it something like this:

Domestic Tango: 50%
International Tango: shouldn't exist at all
T+, Lat: 100%
Exec Domestic: 150%
Exec International: 125%

If you have the money for full-fare international C I don't know what you're doing flying AC, really.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by globaltravelers
3. stay with AC to try for SE at low fares to SIN. 5-6 times to SIN for 1.5k each.. SE= 8k spending?. not likely to happen with tango plus earning only 50% status.
T+ is still 100%
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by DavidYYC
I make by doing international travel, so this will hit me hard, no more upgrades on those routes. I can't see myself making E at 50,000, all my travel is personal.
Oh hum, one more year of E an then...... ?
retirement like i plan to do....and find another hobby.....
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
in all honesty it's good that they released the benefits of 2013 a year early

the qualification levels were late, but that was due to the retooling and need to release the levels and benefits together, there would be a bigger uproar if they released the new 5 levels without any associated benefits

regarding the names they should really call it P, E-, E, E+, SE to reflect what it actually is

i don't think they can change the mileage accrual rates till 2013, they're wrong either way unless they let people buy up without a change fee
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:38 pm
No longer with Air Canada
Original Poster

We’ve been reviewing some of your feedback, and we’re glad to see that many of you understand the key rationale around the new program – to realign benefits to those members who are flying with us most frequently. Additionally, as part of this realignment, we’re looking to offer you more choice in the program going forward – a perfect example of which is the fact that we’ll introduce Star Alliance Lounge access as a 2013 Select Privilege for members earning 35,000 Status Miles or 35 Status Flight Segments.

Two other things worth mentioning:

Our FAQs on aircanada.com provide a significant amount of detail on many of the questions and concerns that have been raised here, including how this impacts the Million Mile program, and how Early Status Recognition will be handled for members qualifying for the first time over the course of 2012.

There has been some confusion regarding the Priority Rewards benefit. Note that members earning 35,000 / 50,000 / 75,000 Status Miles or 35 / 50 / 75 Status Flight Segments will enjoy a similar Priority Rewards benefit to 2012 Elite members (ie, double the Classic Aeroplan Miles for Economy seats, up to aircraft capacity). Similarly, there will be no changes to the Priority Rewards program for members earning 100,000 Status Miles or 95 Status Flight Segments.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
double elite family, husband and wife, leisure travel, paid from our own dime, we reach 38k-45k status each year with combination of latitude fares to haiwaii / florida and tango plus NA and overseas, plus many many first class AE and US air redemptions...

spent 7-10k each to reach lowly elite, not one single overseas flight upgraded in 2011 due to reduction of r spaces... plus with the 2013 enhancements, our choices are:

1. go with agean for star gold
2. go with UA
4. ditch AC and book only on low fares / services / awards redemptions.
5. any other options without AC ?

looks like AC and AE will both lose all my business. no reasons to be elite anymore, even at the 50k mark, with the reduction of R space, competition from SE and now Elite +..

our paid flights will go to agean. award flights will be with other US UA...

A call to unhappy elites: "hasta la vista air canada" . wesjet now look promising.
Why not join KrisFlyer if you are flying that often to SIN from Canada / NA?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Originally Posted by dataflux
Earned Elite for the first time this year and it will probably be the last time I get a chance to enjoy upgrading international flights. Typically fly 4-5 TATL a year for work and vacation (booked in Y) and had planned on buying T+ domestic fares to ensure I kept E. I dont mind losing *G lounge access, but the lack of international upgrades for 35k on T+ fares is really disheartening for a fan of AC. Really happy to see that AC is involved with the FT community again and gave everyone advanced notice but hope they reconsider the international upgrades at 35k.
Similar boat. Earned *E for the first (and last?) time. Directed spend and tried to be loyal to AC for something in return: lounge access, upgrades on int'l flight, priority awards (we're 5 travelling together), *G and all that good stuff. Well, might as well enjoy the party in 2012 while it lasts. Not fun when the goalposts are moved back, but at least there is soem advance notice before getting too heavy in 2012 bookings. Now, E is P and P has its days numbered.

Funny, eh? AY and ACTT present themselves on FT after a noticeable and silent absence just hours before the 2013 program details are released. Good timing...
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckinKL
Why not join KrisFlyer if you are flying that often to SIN from Canada / NA?
I think once you reach over 50K, there are a lot of programs/associated benefits that one can choose from
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:48 pm

don't forget, if you book with AC, the SQ leg from HKG to SIN is operated by SQ and not eligible for status miles...
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by wwtsang
regarding the names they should really call it P, E-, E, E+, SE to reflect what it actually is
Actually E- should be the name of the 75k tier and E+ should be the name of the 35k tier. Then you'd have:

Peon
More Enhanced
Enhanced
Less Enhanced
Somewhat Enhanced
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
PRESTIGE
PRESTIGE PLUS
ELITE
ELITE PLUS
SUPER ELITE

Those are five terms that are spelled the same in English and French and mean roughly the same things.

Gate announcements will become longer!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.