Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Pros & Cons of Switching to UA/CO MP??

Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE

With potentially significant changes to the 2013 Top Tier qualification requirements, I have been looking at my anticipated travel plans for next year. More specifically I am looking at the likelihood of achieving 50K if this should become the new E qualification level.

One thing I immediately noticed when searching fares into 2012 was the presence of Tango fares on almost all routes along with increases to the cost of T+ fares. A quick check today now shows Tango fares ex-USA to Asia where before there was only T+. I am also seeing a few Tango fares to Europe ex-Canada. I suspect this will become standard in 2012 and beyond.

The UA/CO MP program currently shows 100% earning on AC Tango Int'l fares. Switching to MP looks interesting when I consider the following:

- 100% earning on AC Int'l Tango fares;
- 100% earning on all UA/CO fare classes; and
- 140K miles required for *A F redemption Asia.

What does AP offer that UA/CO MP does not? Are mini-RTW redemptions on *A possible through MP in the same fashion as through AP? What are the chances MP and other *A FFPs will knock AC Tango fares down to 50% earning or less as we move into the new year??

The case to switch away from AP is building...

Any advice??
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
One thing I immediately noticed when searching fares into 2012 was the presence of Tango fares on almost all routes along with increases to the cost of T+ fares. A quick check today now shows Tango fares ex-USA to Asia where before there was only T+. I am also seeing a few Tango fares to Europe ex-Canada. I suspect this will become standard in 2012 and beyond.
This is true. However the T+ fare of the ex-USA are similar to AC's fare during same time period last year (SEA-PVG for example, which I fly about 4 times a year), while the Tango fare is about $200 less than T+. Last year all they had was T+.

As long as the above remains true, the introduction of Tango fare simply gives you an option of spending less (and get fewer status miles - and no upgrades).

Last edited by g46r; Dec 17, 2011 at 7:05 pm
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA MP
What does AP offer that UA/CO MP does not?
International upgrades for mid-tier FF? I don't think that's possible with UA/CO for mid-tier.

I was E in 2010 and 2011, and I had successfully upgraded 4 YVR-PVG segments (from non-M T+), and 9 YVR-LHR segments (mostly from lat/B) during those two years. I think I'm doing pretty well with AC's program.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:00 pm

From a mileage redemption perspective, the Mini-RTW offered by Aeroplan looks more appealing. Also you can search availability on AP, which is not fully ready on UA/CO's online system. Nonetheless, you can book through the phone.

From mileage accrual perspective, I cannot find any other Canadian credit cards other than AMEX that can accumulate UA/CO points.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
From a mileage redemption perspective, the Mini-RTW offered by Aeroplan looks more appealing. Also you can search availability on AP, which is not fully ready on UA/CO's online system. Nonetheless, you can book through the phone.

From mileage accrual perspective, I cannot find any other Canadian credit cards other than AMEX that can accumulate UA/CO points.

I agree on your latter point - that is the biggest pain in the .... If there was a credit card in Canada for MP - I wouldnt bother with Aeroplan at all.

On your first point - really? mini-rtws are more appealing? They now cost hundreds of dollars.. you can get a mini-rtw (albeit with only 2 stops, one in Asia) on CO for 120k in J - but there are no routing restrictions.

The only airlines missing online are now CA and LX.

No change fees on awards is a big one as well - unlike Aeroplan and their $100+ change fee for even moving a flight half an hour earlier or later.

One-way awards for half price - what a concept!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:22 pm

now u got my ears opened with CO..... They got SQ online now?

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I agree on your latter point - that is the biggest pain in the .... If there was a credit card in Canada for MP - I wouldnt bother with Aeroplan at all.

On your first point - really? mini-rtws are more appealing? They now cost hundreds of dollars.. you can get a mini-rtw (albeit with only 2 stops, one in Asia) on CO for 120k in J - but there are no routing restrictions.

The only airlines missing online are now CA and LX.

No change fees on awards is a big one as well - unlike Aeroplan and their $100+ change fee for even moving a flight half an hour earlier or later.

One-way awards for half price - what a concept!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

now u got my ears opened with CO..... They got SQ online now?
oui monsieur.

Although the good flights in J are blocked again - same as Aeroplan.
Also, Air China is now online.

Missing are Swiss, Croatia and Adria.

For me, its a matter of I can do so much more with my CO miles than I can do with Aeroplan, its a no brainer. But my flying patterns avoid AC most of the time - and when they dont, I still get a nice 'prefered' seat on AC with UA status.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by g46r
This is true. However the T+ fare of the ex-USA are similar to AC's fare during same time period last year (SEA-PVG for example, which I fly about 4 times a year), while the Tango fare is about $200 less than T+. Last year all they had was T+.

As long as the above remains true, the introduction of Tango fare simply gives you an option of spending less (and get fewer status miles - and no upgrades).
I sometimes do this to take cheap flights to Asia and hidden city in YVR on the way back.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
oui monsieur.

Although the good flights in J are blocked again - same as Aeroplan.
Also, Air China is now online.

Missing are Swiss, Croatia and Adria.

For me, its a matter of I can do so much more with my CO miles than I can do with Aeroplan, its a no brainer. But my flying patterns avoid AC most of the time - and when they dont, I still get a nice 'prefered' seat on AC with UA status.
Lets talk PM, need help with SIN-HND/NRT-TPE
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC E75K
I'm certainly not an expert on MP, but it is my understanding that the changes being introduced for 2012 have made Premier Gold (50K requirement) rather unattractive. Also, I think it is conceivable that they change the 100% earning on ex-North America Tango fares rule soon to match the 0% earning currently applicable to North American Tango fares.

Overall, I think all programs will continue to be devalued as more and more people join the ranks of status members.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by g46r

This is definitely not the case from the east cost (EWR)... Fares to HKG for example are now ~$1100 for Tango and $1900 p/p for T+ !!! The same results are coming up over various months in 2012. Looks like the US "competitive fare" will be Tango and not T+. This past year it was easy to get EWR-HKG around $1100 with UA/CO at around $900. I was prepared to pay a $200 premium for AC, but not $1000 just to earn miles when other airlines are charging so much less! One can even find upgradeable B class fares on SQ and OZ ex-USA cheaper than AC T+ now!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:52 am
Original Poster

I think this might be the biggest hindrance to switching. However, a quick look at Amex SPG shows that one can get a 1:1 conversion to LH M&M or SQ Kris, or slightly better than 1:1 when one includes the SPG 20K transfer bonus. Unfortunately UA/CO is 2:1 which is definitely of less value.

I remember there was once an excellent chart someone had developed online comparing the *A programs. This is now pretty out of date; perhaps it's time to make a new chart to ensure myself that AP is the best option...
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this might be the biggest hindrance to switching. However, a quick look at Amex SPG shows that one can get a 1:1 conversion to LH M&M or SQ Kris, or slightly better than 1:1 when one includes the SPG 20K transfer bonus. Unfortunately UA/CO is 2:1 which is definitely of less value.

I remember there was once an excellent chart someone had developed online comparing the *A programs. This is now pretty out of date; perhaps it's time to make a new chart to ensure myself that AP is the best option...
but neither M&M or SQ Kris offer anything better in terms of mile redeeming than Aeroplan does really. However, 90k in J to Asia with US without scamcharges is excellent value for 75,000 SPG points.

The only cons of switching to MP as I can see:
Losing eupgrades on Air Canada - so if you fly lots of AC - that may be a problem
No lounge on purely US domestic itineraries (Canada you still get it)
Lack of credit card accumulation
Bonus has been reduced to 50% for Gold, 75% for Platinum
50,000 Star Gold as opposed to the easier 35k in Aeroplan

For me, its good to diversify, I let Aeroplan accumulate on CCs and credit all my flights go to MP.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Since you have 6 months to submit a missing miles claim, why don't you sign up for MP if you don't need the miles right away, wait until AC announces the changes and then send the request for mileage credit to the program that works better for you (assuming AC provides the 2013 details before July 2012)?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:40 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by AC888
I'm certainly not an expert on MP, but it is my understanding that the changes being introduced for 2012 have made Premier Gold (50K requirement) rather unattractive. Also, I think it is conceivable that they change the 100% earning on ex-North America Tango fares rule soon to match the 0% earning currently applicable to North American Tango fares.

Overall, I think all programs will continue to be devalued as more and more people join the ranks of status members.
The difference is that UA exists in a market where there is true competition, so they cannot be as capricious as Air Canada is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.