Wiki Posts
Search

Early recognition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50, UA 1K 108,678 miles 2014
Early recognition

My first post and after searching couldn't really find the answer. Hope someone can help me.

Recently achieved elite status for first time and noticed when I log into aeroplan that I have gained elite status. Also, in the top tier window under select privileges the 'default' privileges for elite status 2011 are checked with a tick.

I was wondering if indeed I have early recognition?

I then logged into air canada and went to 'miles and privileges' and clicked on my eupgrade account (didn't have one prior) and noticed that there are 10 eupgrade eligible credits which is what you get automatically when you achieve elite status. Also, it says that they expire in 442 days, mar. 1, 2013.

I didn't reach elite until Nov. 30 but to me it looks like I got early recognition.

Any thoughts on this?

I did call air canada to inquire about the eupgrade credits in my account and they told me an e-mail would be sent out next week to change the default privileges if I wished. I neglected to ask them about whether I had early recognition (wasn't sure if they gave the eupgrade credits as a mistake) but this is what it looks like to me.

Appreciate any comments,

Thank you
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Those points are likely the 10 threshold bonus points you get for hitting 20k miles awarded retroactively. Although the default selections are checked, it isn't likely that you'll be getting them for the 2011 year. But you will get an email soon inviting you to select your 2012 benefits.

Enjoy your new Elite status!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Those points are likely the 10 threshold bonus points you get for hitting 20k miles awarded retroactively. Although the default selections are checked, it isn't likely that you'll be getting them for the 2011 year. But you will get an email soon inviting you to select your 2012 benefits.

Enjoy your new Elite status!
Ok. Thanks.
Wasn't aware of the 10 threshold bonus points for hitting 20k miles.

Thanks for your response
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

One other question: Can I use my elite status for certain privileges like lounge access or priority boarding immediately even though it doesn't kick in until Mar. 1, 2012 or do I have to wait until Mar. 1?

Thanks
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
You won't have your card until next year, but give it a week for the Aeroplan/AC systems to sync up, and then remove your Aeroplan number manually from any AC or *Alliance bookings, and add it back in right afterwards. You should be recognized as AC*E or *G on check-in and boarding passes. You can also request upgrades and use the priority contact numbers (listed at the bottom of the Aeroplan top tier page) right away.

You'll still need your Elite card for non-MLL lounges though.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yvr76
You won't have your card until next year, but give it a week for the Aeroplan/AC systems to sync up, and then remove your Aeroplan number manually from any AC or *Alliance bookings, and add it back in right afterwards. You should be recognized as AC*E or *G on check-in and boarding passes.

Ok. great.
Thanks for the info.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:00 pm

You can also use your 10 eUpgrade credits so you can take advantage of the special Winter Promo Rates.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

You can also use your 10 eUpgrade credits so you can take advantage of the special Winter Promo Rates.
Great. Thanks
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by yvr76
Or print a copy of the e-mail and/or aeroplan account page. I have done it last year with MLL as well as RCC in SFO. And I was even able to bring a guest along.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:28 pm

Shouldn't a member's status show up correctly even if they swipe their old Tangerine card at a MLL?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Or print a copy of the e-mail and/or aeroplan account page. I have done it last year with MLL as well as RCC in SFO. And I was even able to bring a guest along.
Shouldn't a member's status show up correctly even if they swipe their old Tangerine card at a MLL?
Either can possibly work, but it's not guaranteed. I was almost denied entry once because I did not have my *Gold card with me, even though my boarding pass said AC*E and I had my Prestige (*Silver) card with me. Took about 5 minutes of back and forth before they decided to let me in.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for answering the questions I posed earlier.

I recently received my e-mail asking me to select privileges for elite status 2012.

I had a couple of questions and decided to call the priority contact number with a few questions but I probably should have asked here instead as the agent wasn't very friendly or helpful at all.

I have a prebooked flight before achieving status and inquired about lounge access as I wasn't sure if I would have received my Elite/star alliance gold card prior to the flight. My flight is on Jan. 16.

I was told very bluntly that I wouldn't have lounge access even though I was showing up on their system as elite until march 1. When I questioned this, I was asked again very bluntly...."who told you that?". I said I had read it somewhere and again was asked...."who told you that?". Certainly not very friendly service. I was going to ask about having my aeroplan number removed from the existing reservation and then added again to reflect my new status but didn't even bother due to the gruff responses I had already received.

I tried to do this myself online but for some reason have been unable to bring up my itinerary on aeroplan.

I was told that it takes 2-3 weeks to receive my benefits after selecting privileges so I decided to select thinking I should receive them before my scheduled flight.

With my card in hand, even though I was told by the agent that the card will say Mar. 1,2012 and I won't have lounge access or other benefits until that time do you guys think I will have a problem gaining access or requesting eupgrades, etc?

Can anyone help me out on this?

Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:34 am
Used to be '076753k'

Programs: AirCanada*G
With the sweep this morning, my account is at 35090 miles... It didn't change to elite yet....
Old Dec 18, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by Baley
Thanks for answering the questions I posed earlier.

I recently received my e-mail asking me to select privileges for elite status 2012.

I had a couple of questions and decided to call the priority contact number with a few questions but I probably should have asked here instead as the agent wasn't very friendly or helpful at all.

I have a prebooked flight before achieving status and inquired about lounge access as I wasn't sure if I would have received my Elite/star alliance gold card prior to the flight. My flight is on Jan. 16.

I was told very bluntly that I wouldn't have lounge access even though I was showing up on their system as elite until march 1. When I questioned this, I was asked again very bluntly...."who told you that?". I said I had read it somewhere and again was asked...."who told you that?". Certainly not very friendly service. I was going to ask about having my aeroplan number removed from the existing reservation and then added again to reflect my new status but didn't even bother due to the gruff responses I had already received.

I tried to do this myself online but for some reason have been unable to bring up my itinerary on aeroplan.

I was told that it takes 2-3 weeks to receive my benefits after selecting privileges so I decided to select thinking I should receive them before my scheduled flight.

With my card in hand, even though I was told by the agent that the card will say Mar. 1,2012 and I won't have lounge access or other benefits until that time do you guys think I will have a problem gaining access or requesting eupgrades, etc?

Can anyone help me out on this?

Thanks
Just called and have them remove your aeroplan #. Then re input it back in. The AC system will then show and recognize you ae E. your boarding pass wil show you as Elite. You will be able to then check in at Prority Board and possible use the pass to show your Elite in MML.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silvercity
Just called and have them remove your aeroplan #. Then re input it back in. The AC system will then show and recognize you ae E. your boarding pass wil show you as Elite. You will be able to then check in at Prority Board and possible use the pass to show your Elite in MML.
Ok. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.