FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   RBC Avion transfers? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1290952-rbc-avion-transfers.html)

jlisi984 Dec 13, 2011 7:08 pm

RBC Avion transfers?

Hi all,

Considering churning the RBC Avion just once to transfer it to AA.

I'm sooo confused which cards apply.

Thanks for your help,

Jan

mikeyyz Dec 13, 2011 7:12 pm

Which cards apply for what?

I got the Infinite recently just for the AA miles. Pretty painless :)

jlisi984 Dec 13, 2011 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyyz (Post 17621955)
Which cards apply for what?

I got the Infinite recently just for the AA miles. Pretty painless :)

Ah, OK. What's the best welcome bonus?

I think I misread and understood that only some cards apply for mileage transfers... :confused:

robsaw Dec 14, 2011 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984 (Post 17621965)

I think I misread and understood that only some cards apply for mileage transfers... :confused:

Only "Avion" cards can transfer to other airline FF programs.

mkjr Dec 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984 (Post 17621965)

currently 15K without fee if you negotiate. best one, last year 20K and no fee.

mkjr Dec 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw (Post 17627656)
Only "Avion" cards can transfer to other airline FF programs.

correct and with avion you can transfer RBC points from other accounts to avion card to transfer.

so you could also open some RBC bank accounts and move those points to the avion and then convert.

Jan, why not just fly AA to Japan on some of these huge promos these days...YYC-DFW-NRT...or just come over to the OW dark side.

jlisi984 Dec 14, 2011 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr (Post 17627671)
correct and with avion you can transfer RBC points from other accounts to avion card to transfer.

so you could also open some RBC bank accounts and move those points to the avion and then convert.

Jan, why not just fly AA to Japan on some of these huge promos these days...YYC-DFW-NRT...or just come over to the OW dark side.

You mean the dAArk side? ;) :p

worldtraveller73 Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Jan,

RBC Avion usually has a promotion once per year where they offer a 50% bonus on all Avion points converted to BA Executive Club.

It is not clear whether it will be offered again this year, but it usually happens around Dec.

Provided in case you want to start earning with RBC.

jarusoba Dec 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73 (Post 17628115)
It is not clear whether it will be offered again this year, but it usually happens around Dec.

Now through January 31, 2012

AA_EXP09 Dec 14, 2011 5:36 pm

And they do this right after they devalued the program by adding YQ.....

shore9 Dec 14, 2011 6:03 pm

I got the fee waived last year when I got the infinite card, do they ever waive the fee the 2nd year, or do I have to cancel and reapply and get the 15K to boot?

Coolers Dec 14, 2011 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 17628403)
And they do this right after they devalued the program by adding YQ.....

The transfer bonus to BAEC was in effect before the devaluation; they simply extended the deadline.

100,000miler Dec 14, 2011 6:27 pm

I want cards that allow me to purchase tickets that I can earn mileage on, not more FF redemptions.

The downsides to the RBC Avion card are the redemption categories where your ticket is significantly under their tiers (eg wasted points) and even more importantly that the redemptions only apply to fares and not the other charges which we all know can be considerable on international travel.

The RBC Preferred or Gold Cards are far more flexible and include these other charges plus some insurance advantages.

I have not explored the Infinite card to see if it is better so if you know please let us know. I am considering switching out of the Avion card as it is overhyped IMHO.

Coolers Dec 14, 2011 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by 100,000miler (Post 17628619)
I want cards that allow me to purchase tickets that I can earn mileage on, not more FF redemptions..

Didn't you do any research about the Avion program before you signed up for it?

The Avion is the best card for people to redeem on OW carriers (through transfers to BA or AA) for premium (capacity-controlled) seats that we would never otherwise pay for. If that's not your goal, then get the TD Infinite or the Capital One Aspire Travel World.

worldtraveller73 Dec 14, 2011 6:51 pm

I certainly don't mind the Avion Card. The best part is the ability to earn miles and use upgrades on reward travel if you do it correctly.

I don't think we'll get any getting with airlines offloading the profit from base fares to fuel surcharge that is chargable to all persons - regular, reward and even employees