Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with people proudly displaying last years' luggage tags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the deal with people proudly displaying last years' luggage tags?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Gold
When travelling to remote places abroad, it is nice to see an Elite/ SE tag on someone's bag regardless of the year. It is a grown-up version of patching a maple leaf on your bag. I have met several Canadians this way and have no problems with this.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I like my 2005 SE tag the best. First one I earned!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:47 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by greenlotus
I've seen a few "heroes" as the such that you have described. A stack of previous year E or SE tags. I think in my head "still living the glory years"! Also some people with single Elite tags from 2003 are so lame!
I have to confess that I am one of these "lame" people with a 2007 tag on my carry on.

It was from the first year that I was in the Elite program and I haven't bothered to change / update it.

Most of my other tags on my checked bags have been cut off or stolen so I gave up with the fashionable updates. It makes no difference to me anyway.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: FT
insecurity. only bag tags on my bags are yellow FT and blue MP tags.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73

It was from the first year that I was in the Elite program and I haven't bothered to change / update it.
guess you could change it now when pointed out or remove it?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sluis
When travelling to remote places abroad, it is nice to see an Elite/ SE tag on someone's bag regardless of the year. It is a grown-up version of patching a maple leaf on your bag. I have met several Canadians this way and have no problems with this.
I put my CX tag on, and people in YYZ asked if I was from HK.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by YQMer
I know they don't always enforce priority; however, when they chose to, I presume they use the BP info (*E / *SE...) instead of looking for a luggage tag. Carry on luggage tags are IMO for show to other travellers only.
I find they tend to do a good job of actually watching this- Last summer I was flying to LGA on AE points in Y. Upon boarding in YEG for YYZ, the agent scanned my BP and said "I'm sorry, we're only pre-boarding at this time". I said I'm Elite, she looked at my BP, I showed her my card, and she apoligized and said my status wasn't on my BP. That being said, I didn't have any tags on my luggage either. In YYZ, the agent said it's probably because I wasn't earning miles, so my number wasn't added to the booking.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Heads up: tried getting FT baggage tags from the store. They're not there, so I Google'd and found out you can get them free. Not going to post the way here, but it's easy to find and involves PM'ing 'the' mod.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by sluis
i had not thought of this...reasonable point.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Heads up: tried getting FT baggage tags from the store. They're not there, so I Google'd and found out you can get them free. Not going to post the way here, but it's easy to find and involves PM'ing 'the' mod.
i can send you a few. i have 7 in my office now. how many do you want?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by jlisi984
yup, that's how i got mine a month ago, was browsing the community forum instead of 375 for a change and found out they give those out for free, Carol and Paul are very nice and efficient ^
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by exbrit
I also can't stand the DYKWIA's. My carry on simply has the one tag, its the one provided to me when I flew Concorde. It helps my fellow former "supersons" recognise me.
I had security once threaten to confiscate the tin version because one of the agents felt its edges were too sharp and it could qualify as a knife! Now I just use my sterling silver one from time to time...along with a similar sized silver plated Six Continents Club tag.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: E50K
Just a note of thanks to the moderator for dealing with the rudeness on this thread. Too often, many posters on FT have a remarkable intolerance for those who are not just like them, and that can get tedious. It's the diversity of thoughts and ideas that makes a forum interesting.

I have old tags on some of my luggage. When they get ripped off by machines or idiots, I'll put the new ones on. Until then, I have better things to do. I'm certainly not going to get excited when a new tag arrives, the way Steve Martin's character in The Jerk got so happy over the new phone book. But if a new tag makes someone happy, more power to them!

I'm not about to judge what someone else uses for a luggage tag. That said, as I'm standing there, waiting for boarding to start, my mind might wander when I see an interesting tag. And on occasion, I've compared the tag to the person: "Does he really look like an SE? Or did he steal the tag?"

Is this a worthwhile topic for discussion? Of course it is. I'd rather read something fun from time to time than yet more blather about how Air Canada or Aeroplan are terrible, or how Elites are not worthy, and so on. I'd also suggest that this topic is close to irrelevant, but that doesn't mean it is not interesting. We come here for information, for enlightenment, and for entertainment. Tags are entertainment. Enjoy.

So again, thanks to the moderator. Some of the early comments were horrifying. Simon's even-handed, level-headed approach was just what was needed to get this topic back on track.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC E
I also think its funny how seriously people take this. I've had status on and off for a few years, and just never bother to remove the tags-- I don't think about it at all, just a tag to help identify the bag. So yes, sometimes i have a tag with no status, but by no means for DYKWIA reasons, simply because it might help if I get separated from the bag, I barely even think about this...
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:42 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, CX/Marco Polo Gold
Personally I think the worst tags are the one's that say 'hands off!' or 'I'm not yours'.

What's the deal with these? If I'm at the carousel, I don't want your clothes, get over yourself. And on the other hand if I was a baggage handler I'd be offended and I'd misdirect you bag to the other end of the earth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.