Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Missing 50 miles to reach Elite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Missing 50 miles to reach Elite

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Missing 50 miles to reach Elite

I am just 50 miles under the required mileage to reach Elite status. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on whether Air Canada would graciously grant me those extra miles to attain Elite or will I need to book a mini flight in order to attain Elite status.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: AC*E
unfortunately you won't know until it's too late. during my first year with AC, about 3 years ago, i was about 200 miles short of prestige. in the beginning of the next year, i surprisingly got a welcome packet for prestige. i guess it really just depends on how much it means to you to have elite. you either fly a short trip for the miles, or you play another form of the lotto! good luck!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
fly it.

From my experience in similar situations, I recommend flying it. The you won't have a follow up post of.. I should have just flown somewhere...
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
One would like to think that AC would grant the status for 50 miles, but there is no official, published guideline, policy or rule other than "you need 35,000 miles".

You follow up post could be, like hellomarty said "I should have flown somewhere", or "Woo-hoo! Got *E!" or "Ah. I bit the bullet and took a weekend trip to NYC".

Your call depending on your tolerance for risk. I'd ask myself what's the worst that can happen? No lounge access, no eUpgrades on T+, no nifty bag tag ...

Me, I'd find a flight (and make sure it earned mileage!).

Happy travels!

Btw, welcome to FT!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Every year we see the same types of questions and every year my advice is the same. Don't take a chance and take a flight.

That's of course if you think that its worth it. If I ended up with 34950 status miles, I'd do it - even with the devaluation to Elite status this year.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ht=short+miles
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: UA MP
Do an MR. There's a gulf of difference in benefits between E and P. You'll be kicking yourself next year every time you fly on *A if you only ended up as a P for being 50 miles short.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:09 pm
Suspended

You could buy a flight pass with the existing promo, it will give you status miles you can use now while deferring your flights until next year.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
This question should be a Sticky. It comes up each and every year. 300 or so times.
Do not expect AC to give you status onless you fly it. Yea some have had it comped for them but it's very few a far between. Just get on airplane and fly!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Don't chance it as imagine your feeling in January the morning you open up the letter from Aeroplan announcing your Prestige status! Not fun!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:55 pm

To the OP...

Dont take this the wrong way, but why would anyone who cares about status cut them selves that close? If status is that important you should monitor your flights and if you know you will be close, grab a few connecting flights to grab 500 miles here or there. Best answer to your question is NO, AC/AP will not give you status. With that in mind, if status is important, you have 50 miles of flying left to do. GL!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:01 pm

Been here for 20 years. Pre-SE. Kanata Club was a Canadian Airlines 1986 thing that recognized people for flying.

Ten years on. 2002. Business sucked. Flights not as often. I was short of SE by something like 79 miles.

I went one way YXU (Ontario) YYZ and locked it in.

Put things in comparison. There was a guy around here once that went by the name of Dorian. He once flew YVR-SYD-YVR-SYD-YVR-SYD-YYZ in about two days to get SE.

Epic. Hero. We don't know if he is dead, but he got his status that year. It was something like 34,000 miles in two days.

You are dealing with 50 miles.

You *must* do this.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Been here for 20 years. Pre-SE. Kanata Club was a Canadian Airlines 1986 thing that recognized people for flying.

Put things in comparison. There was a guy around here once that went by the name of Dorian. He once flew YVR-SYD-YVR-SYD-YVR-SYD-YYZ in about two days to get SE.

Epic. Hero. We don't know if he is dead, but he got his status that year. It was something like 34,000 miles in two days.

You are dealing with 50 miles.

You *must* do this.
That's insane! God bless him if he's still alive!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: AC*E
Fly my friend fly!

I missed Elite by 4 segments last year and spent more than $1500 in airport restaurants this year instead of being catered in the MLL. Ask Joe at Exchange Cafe (YYZ Terminal 1 gate 120) what a fool I am. Won't ever happen again.

P.S. I must say Exchange Cafe has the best burger on the domestic side. Hurry, they close next Tuesday Dec 13 until March for renovations.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: E50K
Love the Dorian story.

On the other hand, if the OP does not fly to get that 50 miles, and then does not get the higher status -- let's hope he would provide us with an update. Then every time Dorian is mentioned, or every time someone asks if the minimums are really minimums, someone could say, "remember the guy who was just 50 miles short and didn't go for it."

(Last December, I did a quick YYJ-YVR to guarantee Elite. I thought of taking the chance, because I was oh so close, then decided that if 34900 was close enough, why did all the Elite bumph say 35000?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.