Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Proactive Contact with SE Concierge Appropriate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Proactive Contact with SE Concierge Appropriate?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Proactive Contact with SE Concierge Appropriate?

Hello FTers - I'm a very new SE, and haven't yet had occasion to make use of/enjoy services of the concierge team. I know this is actually a good thing, as they usually get involved when travel goes sideways, so I'm lucky it has been a fairly smooth travel year so far.

Mrs. Politico and I have an upcoming AE reward trip in J, which has us travelling YYZ-FRA then onwards to IST. The connection in FRA is quite tight...I think in the neighbourhood of 50 minutes. The tickets were booked almost a year ago by an agent on the phone, and that tight connection must have slipped by me. I usually worry about connections in FRA (both for us, as well as our luggage), as it can be hectic place.

Would it be considered proper etiquette for me to email the FRA AC concierge ahead of time to make him/her aware of my tight connection and request any assistance that they can provide, or is it best to leave it be, and rest assured that they'll be monitoring us if there are any potential problems?

Guidance and advice appreciated! Cheers!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I wouldn´t be too worried if I were you, besides there´s not much (anything) the concierges can do for you.

Your onward flight will be on LH or TK, so the concierges will probably not have access to your file. You´ll only have to go to your next gate (which may involve going through security), but your luggage will be checked through, possibly a quick passport check, but nothing comparable to US/Canadian procedures. A 50min connection at FRA is doable, but no fun. (I´ve managed to do a 35min connection arriving in A Schengen departing in C non-Schengen, but never again) The good news is that there are plenty of FRA-IST flights each day, so LH or TK will just rebook you if you are delayed into FRA.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
Not to be too much of a contrarian, but I would definitely contact the concierge in advance, explain the situation and ask them to be on the lookout for you, if possible.

No harm in that, and while they may not be able to assist, there's no harm in asking.

It's totally appropriate.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vasbyte
Not to be too much of a contrarian, but I would definitely contact the concierge in advance, explain the situation and ask them to be on the lookout for you, if possible.

No harm in that, and while they may not be able to assist, there's no harm in asking.

It's totally appropriate.
Just curious as I haven´t been SE for a long time, what kind of service would you expect from the concierges in this situation?

I´d totally see the point if the OP was booked on IST-FRA-YYZ and ask the concierge to monitor the 1st flight and possibly rebook him to the later FRA-YYZ flight if necessary, but I can´t think of anything the concierge can do in the OP´s case.

Then again, I´ve always tried to take care of myself at FRAnkenstein, but I honestly can´t think anything to improve the connection experience.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:37 am

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Just curious as I haven´t been SE for a long time, what kind of service would you expect from the concierges in this situation?

I´d totally see the point if the OP was booked on IST-FRA-YYZ and ask the concierge to monitor the 1st flight and possibly rebook him to the later FRA-YYZ flight if necessary, but I can´t think of anything the concierge can do in the OP´s case.

Then again, I´ve always tried to take care of myself at FRAnkenstein, but I honestly can´t think anything to improve the connection experience.
Re service expectations ... just to be clear, I have no sense of entitlement, nor would I 'expect' anything, other than the Concierges to do whatever possible (which as I mentioned before may be zero).

However, concierges typically have (friendly) relationships with reps from all airlines, security, border personnel etc. and other airport staff. Comes from spending your working life at the airport.This speed things along ... for example ...

a) you need to get from A to B in a hurry
b) need to get to the front of the line
c) need to rebook flight regardless of airline
d) Have a boarding card ready as you de-plane to avoid checking in ...

etc. etc.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by Vasbyte
Re service expectations ... just to be clear, I have no sense of entitlement, nor would I 'expect' anything, other than the Concierges to do whatever possible (which as I mentioned before may be zero).

However, concierges typically have (friendly) relationships with reps from all airlines, security, border personnel etc. and other airport staff. Comes from spending your working life at the airport.This speed things along ... for example ...

a) you need to get from A to B in a hurry
b) need to get to the front of the line
c) need to rebook flight regardless of airline
d) Have a boarding card ready as you de-plane to avoid checking in ...

etc. etc.
a agree with all your points. They will help navigate you with any travel problems. I've had the YEG conceriage meet me at the Car Rental return to take my bags and hand me my boarding pass. Another example was when I was a Frankfurt. I landed from Milan and the conceriage called security and moved me through in 10mins by by passing all lines. I had 20mins to catch a flight to YYZ? To the OP I suggest you call the (not email) the FRA Concerige. Better to speak to someone and get to know them personally.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:32 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Silvercity
a agree with all your points. They will help navigate you with any travel problems. I've had the YEG conceriage meet me at the Car Rental return to take my bags and hand me my boarding pass. Another example was when I was a Frankfurt. I landed from Milan and the conceriage called security and moved me through in 10mins by by passing all lines. I had 20mins to catch a flight to YYZ? To the OP I suggest you call the (not email) the FRA Concerige. Better to speak to someone and get to know them personally.
+1 although the FRA concierges rarely pick up...
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks, all. Very much appreciated! Will do.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Btw, where do I find the different concierges´ e-mail addresses? I can only find the phone numbers under "priority contacts" in the top tier section.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Btw, where do I find the different concierges´ e-mail addresses? I can only find the phone numbers under "priority contacts" in the top tier section.
I don't know. I think there's a specific format for them though...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Scanning quickly through the threads, I first read this as:

Provocative Contact with SE Concierge Appropriate?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: AC*E50k, AvisFirst, HHonors Diamond
Re: your comment that your upcoming flights were booked a year ago...its likely that AC won't even acknowledge you as an SE on their file unless your TA goes into your itin and removes/re adds your aeroplan number.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
I would email them ahead and ask if they could meet you at arrival gate and have a golf cart ready to wisk you to immigration (if you need to clear). It is quite appropriate to let them know you have a tight connection.

Having said that I have done 35 minute connection (late arrival) and had no problems. It depends on the time of your arrival. Peak times could be a mad dash.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
+1 on emailing them ahead of time. If there is anything they can do, they will.

Also, if you booked the ticket a year ago, make sure you pull your AP number off and back on so it shows SE.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
I have had great experiences with concierge in Canadian airports. As mentioned above, FRA do not even bother answering the phone. I have called and left messages in the past and never received a call back.

(kudos to Dean at YYZ who called and left me a message while I was in the air when my flight was delayed and left a message that he had rebooked me and where I can pick up my new BP)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.