Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Elite worth a 6k MR?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, AC 'nobody anymore'.
Question Is Elite worth a 6k MR?

So I'll be sitting at 28,658 status miles by December 19th.

Is it worth the jump from Prestige to Elite to take a mileage run of 6342 status miles?

I fly a lot for work now and will most certainly hit elite by June next year. I travel primarily on TangoPlus Flight Passes to the US.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by canadianpilot

Is it worth the jump from Prestige to Elite to take a mileage run of 6342 status miles?

I fly a lot for work now and will most certainly hit elite by June next year. I travel primarily on TangoPlus Flight Passes to the US.

Thoughts?
I think it would be worth it, considering you are doing quote a bit of flying next year
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
+1. Drive down to Buffalo and pick up a few cheapie UA flights. No sense waiting until next June to get Elite benefits for only a few hundred dollars.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Yes- if you're going to be traveling alot next year, you'll appreciate the added perks. Do a quick MR around the states to pick up the miles (assuming you have the AC minumun req. miles/segments met).

I know a person who was E or SE for years, and began using Westjet on YEG-YYC flights regularly. In the winter, they can be more dependable than AC's DH3s, not to mention more comfortable (if the times work for you). She stopped paying attention to her status because she never worried about reaching it before, and ended the year just shy of Elite. Man, did she ever regret that!
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
***WARNING - THREAD HIJACK***

On a somewhat related note, I find myself sitting at 58K status miles at year end. Am I crazy to consider a SEA-ORD MR for $244 AI, just to get me over the 60K threshold for e-upgrade credits?

Rationale:
- Credits don't expire until 2013.
- It is cheaper than last LMU purchase for my trip to Asia in January.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador & Priority Club Plat, Hhonors Gold, Air Miles Gold
Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur

On a somewhat related note, I find myself sitting at 58K status miles at year end. Am I crazy to consider a SEA-ORD MR for $244 AI, just to get me over the 60K threshold for e-upgrade credits?

Rationale:
Definitely less crazy than some of the '34 thousand miles short of Elite should I do a MR' threads that keep popping up this time of year. 244 dollar total for 20 credits that will last until 2013 especially if you already have a flight in mind you want to upgrade totally makes sense to me!
Old Dec 2, 2011, 2:37 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur

Rationale:
You would be crazy if you did not do it.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 2:38 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by canadianpilot

Thoughts?
I don't know if Elite is worth it, but I do know that not being a Pretige or Basic almost certainly is.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by YukonYXY
Definitely less crazy than some of the '34 thousand miles short of Elite should I do a MR' threads that keep popping up this time of year. 244 dollar total for 20 credits that will last until 2013 especially if you already have a flight in mind you want to upgrade totally makes sense to me!
I'm short 11,350 I was banking on work sending me to HKG but it's looking less likely now that we're almost at the end of the year. D'oh!
Old Dec 2, 2011, 5:39 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
To the OP, I don't know if it is worth a 6,000 mile MR, especially if you're self funded.

You'll have E by June anyway, so in my view, you're really only looking at your comfort for the first 6 months. All you'll be getting during that time is priority boarding + Lounge Access. You'll get immediate E status in June. The e-credits and the bonus top tier points you'd earn now are getting to be a smoke and mirrors show- in that they're worth much less than you'd expect with the fuel surcharges on reward travel + upgrades clearing at the gate. .

If that is worth about $500 - 700 for you, then go for it. But I'd use your 3 free MLL coupons with prestige + pay $35 when you need MLL access till June. I'd also wait until they announce the benefits of the 2012 program in a week or two. You might find benefits you're interested in cut or removed after you've paid for your flights.

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Dec 2, 2011 at 5:46 pm
Old Dec 2, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriot Silver Elite
Originally Posted by KenHamer
I don't know if Elite is worth it, but I do know that not being a Pretige or Basic almost certainly is.
I had almost accepted dropping down to Prestige next year, until I read this
Old Dec 2, 2011, 6:13 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
I am in similar position. Thought about MR but will pass. I should fly enough early in year to get Elite around May. This way no additional cost and get E for 1.5+ years. May look at lounge access for the interim through my CIBC visa (yes I wll be a bottom feeding lounge crowder for a bit).
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:07 pm

I would do it if it weren't too expensive, but I'm already Elite.

An advantage of qualifying in June is that you will get the Prestige benefits until then (including credits and whatever else Prestige gets), and then get MORE credits in June.

If it is more than $500 to get the miles, then spend that on an Amex Plat which will get you some miles and lounge access in YYZ and a whole lot more for the 6 months.

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
If you're seriously considering a MR you might look at doing it in the new year so that you'll qualify for E earlier than June. That way you'll be able to double-dip for eUpgrade credits and will only have to "suffer" as a P between March and April/May.

If not, YYZ-LHR is $850 and makes a great weekend trip in December.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: AC
Really it wouldnt even be the full six months. Benefit year doesnt start until March 1st, so January to March you would be without the benefits anyways. Now that we are past the October deadline, I dont believe you get instant elite.

Makes more sense to wait for next year, pick up instant elite by June, and have it good until Feb 28 of 2014.

Just my two cents.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
To the OP, I don't know if it is worth a 6,000 mile MR, especially if you're self funded.

You'll have E by June anyway, so in my view, you're really only looking at your comfort for the first 6 months. All you'll be getting during that time is priority boarding + Lounge Access. You'll get immediate E status in June. The e-credits and the bonus top tier points you'd earn now are getting to be a smoke and mirrors show- in that they're worth much less than you'd expect with the fuel surcharges on reward travel + upgrades clearing at the gate. .

If that is worth about $500 - 700 for you, then go for it. But I'd use your 3 free MLL coupons with prestige + pay $35 when you need MLL access till June. I'd also wait until they announce the benefits of the 2012 program in a week or two. You might find benefits you're interested in cut or removed after you've paid for your flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.