YQR MLL Access

Old Nov 21, 11, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
YQR MLL Access

I am AE E flying on UA out of YQR. The lounge is passcode protected as it is not always staffed. Does anyone know if UA can provide the passcode to get in to the MLL?

Any help would be great!
Old Nov 21, 11, 12:15 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
You should be able to get this from the ground staff at your airport at the business class counter. You might have to stop by to collect it. The codes change on a regular basis. Bring Star Gold Card.
Old Nov 21, 11, 12:25 pm

I think the codes change daily. You can get them from the desk downstairs at check in, or usually also from an AC gate or the UA gate (manned by AC folks). Just show your BP and if Star G is not noted on there also your card.

One note is that they like to board the UA flights quite early and security for the flights is usually quite light so you don't need to get there more than 45-60 ahead of time (I'd say even less time, but I wouldn't want the OP to get caught out--I usually plan for security at about 35 minutes out at YQR for the UA flights and more if there are extra flights on -- eg, winter charters, which will create delays due to volume and VBITs).

The lounge is nothing to write home about--tiny and claustrophobic--and I normally do nothing more there than grab a quick drink and head out.
Old Nov 21, 11, 2:58 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
It's a pretty basic lounge as lounges go but it more than serves the purpose.

UA and AC seem to share staff to some degree. Checking in for a YQR-SAN flight in February (AC ticket, UA metal after the connection) the fellow taking our bag at the AC counter took us over to the UA counter and printed us real UA boarding passes for the connection (I'm not sure why the AC-printed ones for OLCI wouldn't suffice, but whatever).

Just ask the UA agent when you check your bag. If you have no checked bags, I'd still recommend you talk to an agent at the check-in desk as you might have trouble finding someone at the podium too far in advance of your flight. There are only three UA flights a day out of Regina.
Old Mar 25, 12, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC AP, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive
Originally Posted by arf04 View Post
I think the codes change daily. You can get them from the desk downstairs at check in, or usually also from an AC gate or the UA gate (manned by AC folks). Just show your BP and if Star G is not noted on there also your card.
I had a cnx here today and had to obtain code from AC agent.

The lounge is nothing to write home about--tiny and claustrophobic--and I normally do nothing more there than grab a quick drink and head out.
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
It's a pretty basic lounge as lounges go but it more than serves the purpose.
Very small lounge, almost didn't see it. I was only one in there for about an hour. It seems to be under some minor construction at the moment. TV didn't work either, so a rather quiet and peaceful rest.
Old Mar 25, 12, 5:44 pm

A quiet lounge is a good lounge.

How do the connections at YQR work? I've always wondered, since when you deboard aircraft here, you are channeled down a long corridor to the baggage carousels.

I suspect that if one showed their boarding pass to the security agent by the carousel escalator, that you could stay airside, but I've never known for sure.

This is my home airport so it's mostly a moot point but one of these days I may connect here to meet my wife to head somewhere else (that's our tentative plan for a SYD trip next year; I'll be coming home from YYZ the day we leave).
Old Mar 25, 12, 7:01 pm

A quiet lounge is a good lounge.

How do the connections at YQR work? I've always wondered, since when you deboard aircraft here, you are channeled down a long corridor to the baggage carousels.

I suspect that if one showed their boarding pass to the security agent by the carousel escalator, that you could stay airside, but I've never known for sure.

This is my home airport so it's mostly a moot point but one of these days I may connect here to meet my wife to head somewhere else (that's our tentative plan for a SYD trip next year; I'll be coming home from YYZ the day we leave).
Jim, what I've seen on the handful of times that someone has been connecting off a flight I've been arriving on is that the ground/gate agent meeting the flight has the FA ask for so and so to check with the ground agent. The connecting passenger is then let in through the sliding doors. They don't even get as far as the security guard. I would expect that if you aren't called out just asking the ground person to let you through and showing your boarding pass should be all you need to do.
Old Mar 26, 12, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC AP, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive

I flew YWG-YQR-YYC and there was no announcement when we arrived at YQR about what connecting passengers were to do. There was about 4 of us. So I followed the heard and headed down long corridor towards escalator. I knew this was going to take me outside of the secure area so before proceeding I asked a CATSA guy who redirected me back towards the gate where I waited until AC agent arrived and opened the sliding doors to let me in. Not very user-friendly and not marked at all.
Old Mar 26, 12, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by wannagoexplore View Post
I flew YWG-YQR-YYC and there was no announcement when we arrived at YQR about what connecting passengers were to do. There was about 4 of us. So I followed the heard and headed down long corridor towards escalator. I knew this was going to take me outside of the secure area so before proceeding I asked a CATSA guy who redirected me back towards the gate where I waited until AC agent arrived and opened the sliding doors to let me in. Not very user-friendly and not marked at all.
Huh. Well that's pretty stupid. The greeting agent will know if there are cnx. I'm not sure why at YQR they segregate arriving passengers from the gate area anyhow. It's not like either side needs to have different security measures and I think most if not all international arrivals use the north gates so you'd have to get past the commissionaire to get to the other gates.

Every time I've seen connecting pax it's been YWG-YQR-YYC btw.
Old Mar 27, 12, 10:24 am

Huh. Well that's pretty stupid. The greeting agent will know if there are cnx. I'm not sure why at YQR they segregate arriving passengers from the gate area anyhow. It's not like either side needs to have different security measures and I think most if not all international arrivals use the north gates so you'd have to get past the commissionaire to get to the other gates.
Not a lot of space is the real reason, I assume. If they deboarded passengers into the airside gate area, it would be pretty crowded at certain times of the day. Future airport expansion will solve that, and if YQR keeps growing its traffic I expect connecting passengers will become a more common thing.
Old Mar 16, 13, 8:47 am

Was at YQR yesterday and they've upgraded the entry system for the MLL as of last week. Instead of the passcode, there's now a kiosk where you swipe your card or scan the barcode on your boarding pass to verify entry. Pretty slick system.
Old Mar 16, 13, 10:58 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by laurenceYYZ View Post
Was at YQR yesterday and they've upgraded the entry system for the MLL as of last week. Instead of the passcode, there's now a kiosk where you swipe your card or scan the barcode on your boarding pass to verify entry. Pretty slick system.
Makes sense. Probably less abuse that way.
Old Mar 16, 13, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Good to hear!
Old Mar 18, 13, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by laurenceYYZ View Post
That's pretty recent. I was in the lounge three weeks ago and that wasn't there yet.
Old Mar 18, 13, 10:57 am

I asked the check-in agent and she mentioned it happened the second week of March (which makes sense since I was last at YQR March 1st and the system hadn't been installed yet)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: