Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

One of our own: Piano prodigy, 16, tours with Ottawa orchestra

One of our own: Piano prodigy, 16, tours with Ottawa orchestra

Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by SensFan
Show some respect for your fellow posters. Calling him "the kid who was complaining about not getting access to lounges despite his status" is a pretty petty remark. You could have searched to see if that was the case instead of airing what would seem to be a pet peeve of yours in this thread.

Enjoy your tour Jan!
There wasn't any disrespect intended.

Perhaps you're right, though it wasn't meant that way. For some reason, I thought he was being touted as "one of our own" by AC, which, I now realize, may not be the case.

IF it had been (which was the admittedly mistaken assumption I was under), then it would have been incredibly ironic to see AC touting him as one of their own after he had to file a public complaint on this board (amongst other things) to get a resolution in that case.

And yes, at 16, hes a kid. A prodigy no doubt, but I'm not going to be calling him a man or an adult.

His complaining about it was not a pet peeve for me - anything but. I do more than my share of complaining around here. Just thought it was odd that an airline he complained about publicly would tout him as one of our own. Granted, I now know thats not the case.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Hey guys,
Thanks for your nice comments!
I really appreciate it.
Indeed, I was the guy/kid complaining about lounge access. Absolutely awful.
Nonetheless, I'll have an interesting day tomorrow.
The ferry broke down (lovely NL ferries) and so the truck with all the instruments (not including a piano) has to drive back 10 hours to YYT and we'll try to load as much as possible on an E190... Fun!
Cheers from YYT!
Jan
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: meh
Originally Posted by jlisi984
The ferry broke down (lovely NL ferries) and so the truck with all the instruments (not including a piano) has to drive back 10 hours to YYT and we'll try to load as much as possible on an E190... Fun!
Cheers from YYT!
Jan
Unless its Schroeder's piano from Charlie Brown, I just don't see it fitting on an E90....even the A side of the Business cabin overhead.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: AC*G, UA*G
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Hey guys,
Thanks for your nice comments!
I really appreciate it.
Indeed, I was the guy/kid complaining about lounge access. Absolutely awful.
Cheers from YYT!
Jan
Priceless! Best of luck with that!
And, btw, brilliant show in Ottawa last week.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: AC S100K / AC-2MM
I had the privilege of hearing Jan play with our Symphony orchestra a couple of years ago - he is truly amazing. What a talent at such a young age!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by arf04
There's a nice interview in the G & M as well right now (yesterday or today--I don't know as I read it online).

I'll be picking up the cd when it's out for sure.
He has a Chopin CD put out by the Chopin Institute in Warsaw, their first in a new series of definitive recordings of the composer's work. It is available in specialty classical music shops (where these still exist). Picked up a copy earlier this year when in NYC.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by LAman
I had the privilege of hearing Jan play with our Symphony orchestra a couple of years ago
Jan, is there a concert schedule somewhere we can access? If you're playing with the CPO I'd buy a ticket.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan basic
Just watched your segment on CTV National news tonight Jan. Amazing talent all the best to you!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Jan, is there a concert schedule somewhere we can access? If you're playing with the CPO I'd buy a ticket.
See: http://www.janlisiecki.com/en/calendar.html

And to answer your specific question, he's playing with the CPO on Nov 30 as part of the Virtuosity Festival. Should be a great few weeks of music. See: http://www.cpo-live.com/main/event_d...p?event_id=516
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Yes.. awesome to see a prodigy FTer pianist..

Perhaps we can start a FlyerTalk pianist group.. Myself and Mrs. Maestro would be members alongside Jan!!

Jan.. don't just settle for any Steinway.. the NYs are unstable at best.. settle for a Hamburg Steinway! We've got a B, and a lifelong dream of mine is to acquire a 9' straight from Germany.. Last I priced one out was $190K

I've had the pleasure of playing Rachmaninoff Opus 3 No 2.. Fantasie Impromptu.. and the three movements of the Moonlight Sonata over the years..
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

Perhaps we can start a FlyerTalk pianist group.. Myself and Mrs. Maestro would be members alongside Jan!!
May I and my triangle join, too?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
May I and my triangle join, too?
You're lucky, I don't have enough musical talent to play even the triangle.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by somedude3210
Having no clue doesnt have to stop you. People have demonstrated that many times...
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:17 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by somedude3210
I have no talent, but I have a Fender stratocaster and two Hiwatt 100 watt heads with 2 4 x 12 cabinets with JBL speakers, so I could probably drown everyone out and have a lot of fun in the proccess or I could just play bass

And I have no clue too!

Last edited by allbrosca; Nov 16, 2011 at 11:18 pm Reason: No clue!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:39 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Psst...He doesn't like the "P" (prodigy) word.

My, he's grown a lot since the CBC Newsworld segment from a few years back. Gone is that squeaky voice he had when he was a little kid. Don't think you can really call him a "kid" anymore.

As for the NL Ferries - reliability and punctuality aren't exactly it's best quality unfortunately. Hope you had fun in St.John's. The people are incredibily friendly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.