Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by bennyblanco
Well.. spoke to AA and they cannot hold my reservation any longer. So there go my 2 x F seats. Awesome. Thanks Royal Bank & Esso.
If you want to fly on OW, you might want to start collecting RBC Avion points instead then.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:35 am
alc

Originally Posted by sp4294
If you want to fly on OW, you might want to start collecting RBC Avion points instead then.
I think Benny has been collecting Avion, as this is required for this Aeroplan to AA transfer, hence Benny must has an account. The source of Benny points are from AMEX MR, as Benny reported on the AMEX Forum.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:18 am

Hi all..

I collect Avion and Amex points - mainly Amex points.

I'm trying to book 2 x JAL award through AA.

My Amex points are useless for this so I'm not touching them.

I'm transferring 100,000 Aeroplan that I've had forever to my Esso -> RBC -> AA.

I'm also transferring 135,000 RBC -> AA straight up.

I'm then buying the remaining 8000 or so points I need from AA.

Problem is AA only holds flights for 5 days.. so all the screw ups and mis-communication is killing that time frame.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by bennyblanco
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. How can this be so convoluted.
you ask why it is convoluted to convert from one major airline miles program, for free, at almost 1:1, into another major airmiles program....life is never easy....
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
Originally Posted by mkjr
you ask why it is convoluted to convert from one major airline miles program, for free, at almost 1:1, into another major airmiles program....life is never easy....
+1 ^
Old Oct 28, 2013, 4:03 pm

Uhh.. no offence guys, but if the facilities are there to DO the transfer, then they should WORK. Don't sit on the forum and make excuses for poor customer service. If they don't want people transferring their points, stop that facility and call it a day.

I found out this morning that my 2nd transfer on Points.com from Aeroplan -> Esso is being held by the fraud dept at Aeroplan. They were supposed to call me today, but didn't. I called them back at 5pm and was told that dept is closed. No reason, explanation - nothing. There's just no excuse for this type of customer care.

To summarize, so far Aeroplan, ESSO, and RBC have all screwed up in one way or another in my efforts to get points to AA. What should take 4-6 days, has now multiplied 2-3 times over. My frustration with corporations has never been so high. <sigh>
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:20 am
alc

Originally Posted by alc
I understand this promo is not AC nor AP related, but thought to let anyone plan to transfer to AA by following the nabeelj info on this thread know I just got a letter from RBC to apply the Avion Card. Standard 15K Sign-Up bonus, but also with Annual Fee Wavied for the Primary Card holder ($120 value). I was instantly approved online and should be getting my card in 7 to 10 days. Just in time for the 20% transfer bonus nabeelj mentioned above. This Annual Free Wavied promo end Nov 22. For those plan to get an Avion card and didn't got the invite might want to walk in to a branch and see if they will offer it.
Just got a call from RBC branch that my card is ready to pickup. Applied on Oct 23, so 6 days. Hopefully I will not have the same issue as Benny on the transfer to AA.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:07 am

Spoke with Aeroplan's "fraud" dept this morning and according to them, it was points.com which requested my account be verified.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
https://www.rbcrewards.com/convert-points.html?tab=ba
Convert your RBC Rewards points into Avios and receive 50% more.
Offer valid from November 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:14 pm

I am a newbie. I am wondering why people convert to AA instead of BA (30% more bonus)? because of BA surcharge?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by zhaolei9888
I am a newbie. I am wondering why people convert to AA instead of BA (30% more bonus)? because of BA surcharge?
Because some like me fly on paid j and upgrade with miles to f for nada on BA.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Three reasons:
1. no fuel surcharge on non-BA/IB awards,
2. lower miles requirements for some awards, and
3. non-oneworld partners (think Etihad).
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:05 pm

For short-haul, Avios is great. 9,000 for YYZ-JFK return in Y with $50 or so in taxes, compared to 15,000 AP and $170 (LOL)

For long-haul F awards, AA is much better value. 67.5K for HKG-JFK on CX F compared to 105,000 (I think) for BA and much higher taxes.

If you want to fly BA then Avios could be better if you want to stopover in LHR - AA dings you with the BA fuel surcharges anyways and doesn't allow routing to Asia via Europe (with Avios, you could do YYZ-LHR-HKG I believe.)

I know I'd take CX F 24/7 over BA F. Also hoping I can try out EY F with my AA points too.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:47 pm

I really want one of those targeted 15k waived annual fee offers...
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
I really want one of those targeted 15k waived annual fee offers...
did you take advantage of the Amex Gold offer...30K AP to lauder over to RBC and then choose where it goes.

zhaolei9888, also, in some cases, for example, if you accumulate in RBC, with the BA promo, J, YYZ-HKG on CX is 140,000, or 93,333 RBC, versus 110,000 AA miles or 91666 RBC miles.

so if you get your miles via RBC, then its generally the same with either AA or BA...now taxes are lower on AA but one thing is that BA miles get about 15 days on J seats on CX before AA.

i have noticed that the inventory that AA and BA can see is the same but you can book sooner with Avios than AA miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.