Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Avion -> AAdvantage 20% bonus is back from 15 Oct - 30 Nov 2013.

Therefore, option for Aeroplan -> AAdvantage at ~100:84 is back.

Last edited by nabeelj; Oct 15, 2013 at 10:40 pm
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:27 pm
alc

I understand this promo is not AC nor AP related, but thought to let anyone plan to transfer to AA by following the nabeelj info on this thread know I just got a letter from RBC to apply the Avion Card. Standard 15K Sign-Up bonus, but also with Annual Fee Wavied for the Primary Card holder ($120 value). I was instantly approved online and should be getting my card in 7 to 10 days. Just in time for the 20% transfer bonus nabeelj mentioned above. This Annual Free Wavied promo end Nov 22. For those plan to get an Avion card and didn't got the invite might want to walk in to a branch and see if they will offer it.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
Originally Posted by nabeelj
Avion -> AAdvantage 20% bonus is back from 15 Oct - 30 Nov 2013.

Therefore, option for Aeroplan -> AAdvantage at ~100:84 is back.
Miss the good old days when they had 30-35% bonus!!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:10 am

Hi guys - I'm trying to do the Aeroplan -> Esso -> Avion -> AA.

I've read online that Esso requires 250 "transaction points" on the ESSO card to allow for transfers. I can't find any info on that.

So I called Esso twice.. the first time the gentleman said that was correct and I could not transfer points onto an ESSO card until 250 "transaction points" were obtained.

The second time, another guy said "I've never heard of that.. your points should transfer just fine"

AHHHHHHHHHHH. Any ideas?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennyblanco
Hi guys - I'm trying to do the Aeroplan -> Esso -> Avion -> AA.

I've read online that Esso requires 250 "transaction points" on the ESSO card to allow for transfers. I can't find any info on that.

So I called Esso twice.. the first time the gentleman said that was correct and I could not transfer points onto an ESSO card until 250 "transaction points" were obtained.

The second time, another guy said "I've never heard of that.. your points should transfer just fine"

AHHHHHHHHHHH. Any ideas?
From another thread:
Originally Posted by erasmus99
One thing the OP and everyone should be aware of is that Esso recently has enforced the terms of their program. Namely, that one has to earn 250 Esso Extra base points through the card before transferring to RBC. Basically, this meant filling up $250 in gas. Bonus points (for buying premium gas) and the current 2x promotion at Esso does NOT count towards those 250 points.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:52 am

I spoke to an Esso Points rep today and he told me he there was no such thing. ???

Originally Posted by erasmus99
One thing the OP and everyone should be aware of is that Esso recently has enforced the terms of their program. Namely, that one has to earn 250 Esso Extra base points through the card before transferring to RBC. Basically, this meant filling up $250 in gas. Bonus points (for buying premium gas) and the current 2x promotion at Esso does NOT count towards those 250 points.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:57 am

Yes.. but I spoke to an Esso Points rep today and he told me he there was no such thing. ???

BTW.. this is true.. in the terms and conditions:

4.2 A Member, Master Member or "Authorized Redeemer" (as defined in 4.4) may visit the Points.com website and exchange Points for other loyalty program Points. They may also exchange their Points for "Hudson's Bay Rewards Points", or “RBC Reward Points”. In order to begin exchanging Esso Extra Points with Hudson’s Bay Rewards points or RBC Reward points, Esso Extra members must first earn a minimum of 250 Esso Extra Points from eligible purchases made at Esso stations.

That said, how can I quickly get 250 Esso points??
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

That said, how can I quickly get 250 Esso points??
Seriously? The answer to that Q is in the post I quoted above.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:18 pm

How is filling up $250 in gas quick? I need to transfer points in like 2-3 days!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
How is filling up $250 in gas quick? I need to transfer points in like 2-3 days!
Gift cards... That's what I did. Still have them sitting around in my house though!!!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:10 pm

Gift cards worked for you ? I was told by the rep from Esso that gift cards are not considered an "eligible purchase".
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:33 pm
alc

Gift cards worked for you ? I was told by the rep from Esso that gift cards are not considered an "eligible purchase".
Non ESSO brand Giftcard is what they are referring... those one you earn points, just the ESSO brand giftcard does not.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:52 pm

Man - there is some serious confusion going on.

I called Esso back to confirm the gift card eligibility. I got the same guy who originally told me I didn't have to worry about the 250 point starting point.

He again insisted I didn't have to worry about the initial purchase at Esso. He said the initial transfer from Aeroplan was more than enough to allow for the Esso => RBC transfer.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. How can this be so convoluted.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Avion cardholders, transfer Aeroplan -> AAdvantage (at 10:9 ratio)

I was able to transfer AP miles to esso extra then to RBC. I've never needed to buy anything from Esso.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG
I did this very same transfer in January 2013. My entire family had a random collection of Aeroplan points from flying a number of routes (mainly YYC-MCO and YYC-OGG). These tickets were almost exclusively purchased with Avion points and therefore still collected the Aeroplan points.

I set up 4 additional Esso Extra accounts (one each for my wife and daughters). All of the accounts were linked to mine. It took a week to 10 days to get the cards with their numbers but then I used the points.com website to transfer all the Aeroplan points to my Avion account.

In total, we ended up with an additional 130K of Avion points which was enough to purchase two TATL tickets for July 2014 (I know, I know, but we're used to riding in the back). Only my Aeroplan account had enough to actually get a ticket anywhere and even then I had never had AC status so I never found a flight where I could actual book a ticket using Aeroplan.

The only thing I have found out (after the fact) that you can only move 100K of Aeroplan points each calendar year through points.com website. I was lucky enough to organize a conference this year and pulled in a substantial (well for me anyway) number of Aeroplan points from the Delta hotel. But I have to wait until January 2014 to move any more to Avion.

So I would not worry about the 250 minimum on the Esso Extra account. My daughters are not old enough to buy fuel yet so those cards have never been used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.