Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveTO
For some reason I can't transfer between Aeroplan and Esso Extra on points.com. I've tried transferring everything from 10K to 50K but nothing works...the transfer button is greyed out. Anyone know what's wrong before I call points.com tomorrow morning?
Ensure that your Esso and Aeroplan details are correct, and both accounts' balances show up (and neither is stuck in "Updating" state, for example).
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

From my experience, Aeroplan -> Esso takes approximately 1-2 days to complete, whereas Esso takes 2-3 days. As such, I estimate the latest you can start this, assuming everything goes to plan, is Saturday.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
...!

Dave,

Worked for me... You must be doing something wrong. Check the account numbers to see if it matches. transferred 50k last night. Waiting to be credited on Esso. Then Esso rep will do it instantaneously over the phone to RBC. RBC will do it on the spot to AA. Shouldn't take many more days. The only waiting is from Points.com to validate the trade. Probably by tomorrow.

NavCan does has its' restrictions. Canada charges some of the highest YQ charges in nearly half the world. Imagine paying for the 6 and a half airports we have north of the border compared to about x1000 that in the US alone... And I'm not exagerating! I'm just appreciative of low YQ. AA does just that. YQ is an internal charge, within domestic barriers... CA is responsible for the rates, no one else. That and the increase in fuel, security and insurance.

Even domestic YQ charges here are considerably high.

Phil
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cphil1
NavCan does has its' restrictions. Canada charges some of the highest YQ charges in nearly half the world. Imagine paying for the 6 and a half airports we have north of the border compared to about x1000 that in the US alone... And I'm not exagerating! I'm just appreciative of low YQ. AA does just that. YQ is an internal charge, within domestic barriers... CA is responsible for the rates, no one else. That and the increase in fuel, security and insurance.

Even domestic YQ charges here are considerably high.

Phil
Phil, YQ does not refer to general taxes (i.e. airport improvement fees, NAVCAN, etc.) but specifically to airline's fuel surcharges.

AA does not charge any YQ on awards on it's own metal.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: O6*G, Delta Silver, Air Berlin Silver, Marriott Gold, A|Club Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Platinum
thanks

Thanks for the great tip - with the Aeroplan devaluations and the RBC Avion-->BA current 50% promo, I'll definitely be making a transfer.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Expired...

Hope you made the cutoff date thunder...

Or is there a cutoff date??? I checked yesterday and the promo was still on. Was there some kind of extension?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:13 pm

Programs: O6*G, Delta Silver, Air Berlin Silver, Marriott Gold, A|Club Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Platinum
The 50% transfer bonus to BA is on till January 31st (minimum 10,000 points per conversion). With the BA change to Avios, the YQ can be pretty painful, but can be avoided by flying AA or LAN (with some good short-haul redemptions available).
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nabeelj
I know something similar has been mentioned on FT before for Aeroplan -> BAEC before during the Avion -> BAEC 1.5x promos, but considering the recent and future Aeroplan changes w.r.t. charging YQ, the current Avion -> AAdvantage 1.3x promo (ending soon) and AAdvantage's impending change of their MM program, I thought it was worth repeating.

You can currently transfer Aeroplan -> Esso Extra using points.com, then Esso Extra -> Avion -> AA. In the end, you should get ~9 AAdvantage miles for every 10 Aeroplan miles.

Aeroplan -> Esso Extra has a 15K minimum, 50K maximum. Esso Extra -> Avion has a 2500 minimum, 500 increments, and Avion -> AAdvantage has a 5K minimum.

Not suggesting this is the best decision for everybody, but it is an option to consider.
Avion -> AA has a 1.25x promo through end of November 2012. That makes the same thing possible as earlier, but now at a ~100:86 ratio instead of ~100:90.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:13 am

Aeroplan-EssoExtra-Avion

Originally Posted by nabeelj
....You can currently transfer Aeroplan -> Esso Extra using points.com...Aeroplan -> Esso Extra has a 15K minimum, 50K maximum. Esso Extra -> Avion has a 2500 minimum, 500 increments, and Avion...
Hey all - I'm thinking of moving about 200k Aeroplan to Avion but I'm not familiar with Points.com. Can you help me with a few things:
  • Looks 50k AP converts to about 58k EssoExtra via Points.com. Assuming I'm okay with the conversion rate, is there any other fee I need to pay to make the transfer?
  • Looks like 50k is the max transfer per transaction. Is it just a matter of doing it in 4 separate transactions or do I need to wait for X period of time?
  • Once the new EssoExtra points are in my account, how do I do the transfer to Avion? I assume it's not via Points.com. Are there any fees related to this transfer?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy, IHG, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by quank
Hey all - I'm thinking of moving about 200k Aeroplan to Avion but I'm not familiar with Points.com. Can you help me with a few things:
  • Looks 50k AP converts to about 58k EssoExtra via Points.com. Assuming I'm okay with the conversion rate, is there any other fee I need to pay to make the transfer?
  • Looks like 50k is the max transfer per transaction. Is it just a matter of doing it in 4 separate transactions or do I need to wait for X period of time?
  • Once the new EssoExtra points are in my account, how do I do the transfer to Avion? I assume it's not via Points.com. Are there any fees related to this transfer?

Thanks in advance for your help!
There's a thread in a forum where points.com is not looked upon too highly. It's not in this forum. I want to say Mileage Buzz. They charge some pretty hefty fees to do things. I would think long and hard about it. At least do the math. You could be looking at $100 or more for some transactions.

Just go tot he main forums page, search points.com in titles, and you'll see it. I was just looking into it the other day.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Bluefan75
There's a thread in a forum where points.com is not looked upon too highly. It's not in this forum. I want to say Mileage Buzz. They charge some pretty hefty fees to do things. I would think long and hard about it. At least do the math. You could be looking at $100 or more for some transactions.

Just go tot he main forums page, search points.com in titles, and you'll see it. I was just looking into it the other day.
Wrong answer. There is NO cost to convert AP miles via Esso (on point.com) and then from Esso to Avion.

quank, i did successive transactions and moved 120K AP out of another persons account into my avio. did not wait any time just did the transfers all at once.

convert with points.com into Esso...once in Esso, you use the Esso site to convert to Avion. Just use your Credit Card number as the RBC Rewards Account Number. From AP to Avion takes about 2 days.

Last edited by mkjr; Jan 3, 2013 at 1:09 pm Reason: forgot to answer your other Q's
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
quank, i did successive transactions and moved 120K AP out of another persons account into my avio. did not wait any time just did the transfers all at once.
convert with points.com into Esso...once in Esso, you use the Esso site to convert to Avion. Just use your Credit Card number as the RBC Rewards Account Number. From AP to Avion takes about 2 days.
Based on your message, it seems like I could do the following:
  • Empty my wife's AP account to my EssoExtra # ~ 50k AP
  • Empty my AP account to my EssoExtra # ~ 200k AP
  • Then move the converted 250k AP to TBD# EssoExtra
  • Then move the TBD# EssoExtra to my Avion account

If this is the case, this seems ideal. I want to book some Avion travel and short a few RBC points. I'm also considering the OP's suggestion to move them to AA points when there is a promo. Moved down south and won't have an opportunity to fly AC anymore.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: FT
Based on your message, it seems like I could do the following:
  • Then move the converted 250k AP to TBD# EssoExtra
  • Then move the TBD# EssoExtra to my Avion account

If this is the case, this seems ideal. I want to book some Avion travel and short a few RBC points. I'm also considering the OP's suggestion to move them to AA points when there is a promo. Moved down south and won't have an opportunity to fly AC anymore.
i think you have to go from wife's AP to wife's EE and then to your Avion. i do not think EE and Avion confirm names but I think AP to EE might....although you can just as easily have a combined EE account with many people, all of which have access to exchange the points...so add people to EE account so both your and your wife's name is on the same....
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

points.com will not allow you to associate the same Esso Extra account with two points.com accounts. Instead, open up an Esso Extra account for your wife, then link the Esso Extra accounts together (they can do it instantly over the phone) and your balances are pooled.

Quick tip, having a US address in your points.com account gives you a ~2.5% premium on AP -> Esso conversions.

(As I've posted elsewhere, also gives you a ~15% premium on AP -> US DM conversions).
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
have a combined EE account with many people
Limit of 6

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.