Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page > Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

Old Jan 4, 13, 11:52 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by mkjr View Post
Wrong answer. There is NO cost to convert AP miles via Esso (on point.com) and then from Esso to Avion.

quank, i did successive transactions and moved 120K AP out of another persons account into my avio. did not wait any time just did the transfers all at once.

convert with points.com into Esso...once in Esso, you use the Esso site to convert to Avion. Just use your Credit Card number as the RBC Rewards Account Number. From AP to Avion takes about 2 days.

Ok, I stand corrected. Wasn't aware of that option. Might even look into it myself....
Old Jan 4, 13, 3:27 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Bluefan75 View Post
Ok, I stand corrected. Wasn't aware of that option. Might even look into it myself....
it proved very valuable for some to get F tix indirectly on CX for around 2800 bucks... but that ship has long since sailed.
Old Jan 4, 13, 10:56 pm

Wrong answer. There is NO cost to convert AP miles via Esso (on point.com) and then from Esso to Avion.

quank, i did successive transactions and moved 120K AP out of another persons account into my avio. did not wait any time just did the transfers all at once.

convert with points.com into Esso...once in Esso, you use the Esso site to convert to Avion. Just use your Credit Card number as the RBC Rewards Account Number. From AP to Avion takes about 2 days.
Can you elaborate? Can you move AP miles out of someone else's account into your Esso account or does it have to be in their name? Or, is it then from their Esso account into your Avion?
Old Jan 4, 13, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-ca; SGH-T989D-parrot Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by sp4294

Can you elaborate? Can you move AP miles out of someone else's account into your Esso account or does it have to be in their name? Or, is it then from their Esso account into your Avion?
Did you bother reading the last 5-6 posts?
Old Jan 5, 13, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-ca; SGH-T989D-parrot Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Well your post does not make it clear if you can transfer from someone else's account into your account if you do not have your Esso accounts linked. That is what I am asking. Do I need to have the other person's account linked to my Esso account or can they just transfer out of their Esso to my RBC?
Old Jan 6, 13, 6:40 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle

Originally Posted by sp4294

Well your post does not make it clear if you can transfer from someone else's account into your account if you do not have your Esso accounts linked. That is what I am asking. Do I need to have the other person's account linked to my Esso account or can they just transfer out of their Esso to my RBC?
Why risk it when linking Esso is so easy?
Old Jan 6, 13, 3:18 pm

Why risk it when linking Esso is so easy?
Other account is not my wife's - it is a business associate. Can't really link in this case. So, from your answer I assume you do not know either.
Old Jan 6, 13, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by sp4294 View Post
Other account is not my wife's - it is a business associate. Can't really link in this case. So, from your answer I assume you do not know either.
Esso doesn't care if you're not related. But to answer your Q (finally lol) it does work :P
Old Jan 7, 13, 1:44 am

Esso doesn't care if you're not related. But to answer your Q (finally lol) it does work :P
Ok, have to try it then!
Old Jan 7, 13, 1:44 pm

incorrect assumption to assume nabeelj does not know about this...either way, it works both ways...the way nabeelj stated and the way i was vague on.
Old Jan 7, 13, 1:46 pm

incorrect assumption to assume nabeelj does not know about this...either way, it works both ways...the way nabeelj and the way i was vague on.
Old Jan 8, 13, 1:42 am

Programs: NWA, AC., SWA, AA.,UA, HH
While I'm not new to Flyertalk I am new to this thread and pleased to see many smart people posting regarding churning Canadian CCs and Afininity cards
There is very little on FT about Canadian CCs and Afininity cards
Thank you

I have a few simple questions.

1. Which is more valuable RBC Avion points or Aeroplan Points
I have a rather large purchase coming up and can choose between the 2

2. Can someone here please post a primer on how to move points from one provider to another?

3. Should I be getting an Esso card? If so why?

4. Any other loyalty cards you can recommend?

Thanks for your posts and help
Jigger
Old Jan 8, 13, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Jigger View Post

1. Which is more valuable RBC Avion points or Aeroplan Points
I have a rather large purchase coming up and can choose between the 2

2. Can someone here please post a primer on how to move points from one provider to another?

3. Should I be getting an Esso card? If so why?

4. Any other loyalty cards you can recommend?

Thanks for your posts and help
Jigger
1) Depends on what you're redeeming for. There are various threads that try to value an Aeroplan point. If you can book mini-round-the-world flights, your Aeroplan points are worth more - however, these require a lot of research and availability can be an issue if you're on a schedule. Avion is much easier to redeem and the flights purchased by RBC are status-earning flights.

2) Some programs allow you to do it on their websites or through their customer service. Points.com is also an option. In general, you'll lose some value due to transferring to another program; in other instances it's just a bad idea since the value lost is so high. That is why it's important know that your end game will leave you better off vs. just transferring from one program to another (you'll generally lose).

3) The point of the thread is to move from Aeroplan to AAdvantage. EssoExtra is needed to do that. If you don't want to do this, then there is no need for you to get an EssoExtra card.

4) This is a very general question that I'm not sure how to answer. You can have hundreds of cards if you want (since they're generally free). I generally just have cards where I shop often or have use to me.
Old Jan 8, 13, 9:40 pm

Programs: NWA, AC., SWA, AA.,UA, HH
Great Answers(s0
Thanks
My biggest problem is that I want to churn the cc at the least cost.
I just got a CIBC Aeroplan card at 0 cost because they rebated the fee
My Avion card is due to renew soon.
I would like to cancel the Avion and the get it in a year or so so I can get bonus/sign up points. This will also eliminate the fee for a year or so.
My dilemma is what to do with the Avion points so as not to lose them once I cancel the card
Any suggestions??
Thanks again
Jigger
Old Jan 9, 13, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Jigger
Great Answers(s0
Thanks
My biggest problem is that I want to churn the cc at the least cost.
I just got a CIBC Aeroplan card at 0 cost because they rebated the fee
My Avion card is due to renew soon.
I would like to cancel the Avion and the get it in a year or so so I can get bonus/sign up points. This will also eliminate the fee for a year or so.
My dilemma is what to do with the Avion points so as not to lose them once I cancel the card
Any suggestions??
Thanks again
Jigger
Transfer to Esso Extra and back when you have the card again.

Search this Thread