Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

It's Back Amex Aeroplan Platinum 50,000 Offer [Expires Nov.30]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G

Received in the mail

Apply by Nov.30.2011 to earn 25,000 points after first use of the card, plus another 25,000 points when you reach $1,000 in spending in the first 3 months of the Cardmembership.

apply online at http://www.americanexpress.ca/aeroplanplatinum14

Enter RSVP code: PLAT50

Offer Image

Last edited by yul7075; Nov 26, 2011 at 6:36 pm
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
So I have a question. I already have one of these cards that is tied to my Aeroplan account. If I were to sign up my husband for one, would the 50K miles go to his Aeroplan account, or could we have them accrue to my account?

He was looking at another product but for $500 this may be a good way to get an extra 50K AP miles. Good idea? Or have I missed something obvious?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:31 pm

I currently have an Aerogold. What are the chances if I cancelled it and waited a week or two that I'd be eligible for the 50K Aeroplat bonus?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:32 pm

Be careful here! This particular promotion may be "by invitation only", and you may not get the miles unless you received the offer in the mail. When you click the link, it tell you nothing about the 50,000 miles. So when you don't get the miles in the end, you can't argue.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by catgirl
So I have a question. I already have one of these cards that is tied to my Aeroplan account. If I were to sign up my husband for one, would the 50K miles go to his Aeroplan account, or could we have them accrue to my account?

He was looking at another product but for $500 this may be a good way to get an extra 50K AP miles. Good idea? Or have I missed something obvious?
If your husband signs up for his own Aeroplat card, conceivably the rules state that it must be his AE account credited.. so yes, your husband gets the miles..

If you sign up your AE account on his card, you'll end up with the miles unofficially.. but the T&C states you can't do this, but transfer or points have been conducted through Amex without their questioning in the past.. could be a case by case basis.

We've got the Aeroplat for Mrs. Maestro, and we're pleased with the product..

Originally Posted by echino
Be careful here! This particular promotion may be "by invitation only", and you may not get the miles unless you received the offer in the mail. When you click the link, it tell you nothing about the 50,000 miles. So when you don't get the miles in the end, you can't argue.
This is very possible.. so when signing up, I usually check with the phone agent, and the agent calls another department to ensure that the card issued is in fact the Plat50 promo (or other promo applicable).. Even if signing up on the web, I always contact Amex to verify that the promo will be received with the card we applied for..
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: SPG Gold, CX/Marco Polo Gold
How do you like the benefits included with this card?

I'm interested in applying as I only fly for leisure and the first class check in / priority line at YYZ would be nice since I don't reach AC Elite.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:09 am

Programs: AC75K, Amex AeroPlat, HHonours Silver
The miles go to the AE account of the Primary Card Holder. So if you get the card on your account, and then get a supplementary Plat for your Husband, all the miles go to your account.

If he gets his own card as primary, he gets the miles. But you spend $300 more/year.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by miles85
How do you like the benefits included with this card?

I'm interested in applying as I only fly for leisure and the first class check in / priority line at YYZ would be nice since I don't reach AC Elite.
$500 nice?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by RoninTech
$500 nice?
MLL Access is another perk.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan *E, Marriott Elite Silver
$500 nice?
Depends on what you'd use it for, but there are some benefits :-
50,000 non-status AE points
1 free companion ticket if you redeem 15,000 points for a short-haul ticket
travel medical insurance
all sort of insurances
MLL access
skip security lines
etc.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by uwbrother
Depends on what you'd use it for, but there are some benefits :-
50,000 non-status AE points
1 free companion ticket if you redeem 15,000 points for a short-haul ticket
travel medical insurance
all sort of insurances
MLL access
skip security lines
etc.
How much do those 15,000 mile short-haul reward tickets cost these days and do you also have to pay for the free companion ticket or is it really free? I like the sound of the 50K miles though. Maybe we'll do 1 more F mini-RTW...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:04 am

I have just switched Amex cards from Aeroplan to the new Yes card as I'm partially closing the door on Air Canada.

The new card gives you lots of insurance coverage, double points when booking travel and also double points for prescriptions, our monthly script bill is approx $1.8K to $2.0K. So this is huge for us.
They wave the annual fee for the first year and you get 15K points when you spend your first $500 bucks.
I like this card because you can use your points to pay for any travel or you can move all or some to aeroplan, it's a no brainer for us.

And who knows maybe I'll cancel the card next year and switch back to Aeroplan to grab 50K in points.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan *E, Marriott Elite Silver
I evaluated the card earlier this year but it didn't make sense for me. So I got the $120/yr card for 20,000 miles.

I am now a stone-throw away from Elite (will be short 2100 miles) so am trying to do an MR. The problem is that I am only free the last two weeks of December and flights are already fairly expensive at that time.

IF I spend $500, it not only gets me longue access and shorter line at YYZ (which I'll miss out on if I dont do a MR), it'll also allow me to book a mini-RTW in J or F *now* instead of waiting a few more months and risking fuel surcharges applying everywhere.

Since I travel to the US frequently, emergency medical insurance and some other insurance ($1000 for lost luggage, travel cancellation and interruption insurance etc) has some value as well.

I dont know if I'll go for it, I am debating.

EDIT: They say something about easy to get Fairmont Platinum Status. That may be useful for some.

How much do those 15,000 mile short-haul reward tickets cost these days and do you also have to pay for the free companion ticket or is it really free? I like the sound of the 50K miles though. Maybe we'll do 1 more F mini-RTW...

Last edited by uwbrother; Nov 17, 2011 at 9:14 am
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: MPC -> QFF
Hmmm this is very tempting but I am not sure if it is worth it since I just signed up for a AMEX Platinum 3 months ago for 50K MR.

The $499 fee will get me another 50K AE miles and access to MLL and priority check-in. Also 2-for-1 shorthaul redemption... but I think the rest of the bennies overlap with the regular plat.

Would you think this is worthwhile?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by uwbrother
IF I spend $500, it not only gets me longue access and shorter line at YYZ (which I'll miss out on if I dont do a MR), it'll also allow me to book a mini-RTW in J or F *now* instead of waiting a few more months and risking fuel surcharges applying everywhere.
This is a very good point. Spend $500 so you can book now to save >$500 on a miniRTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.