Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Do we need another eUpgrade question? Yes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G

Ok, don't shoot me.

Question...if I'm travelling YYZ-YQR, this is under 1500 miles. So a T+ upgrade would be 6 credits. But what if I had a connection in YYC? YYZ-YYC is 1670 miles and thus 10 credits, but my origin to destination says 6 credits...well, you get the idea.

Would I get charged 10 or 6 when travelling YYZ-YQR with a connection in YYC?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j_the_p
Ok, don't shoot me.

Question...if I'm travelling YYZ-YQR, this is under 1500 miles. So a T+ upgrade would be 6 credits. But what if I had a connection in YYC? YYZ-YYC is 1670 miles and thus 10 credits, but my origin to destination says 6 credits...well, you get the idea.

Would I get charged 10 or 6 when travelling YYZ-YQR with a connection in YYC?
Pretty sure the answer is somewhere on ac.com. Based upon origin and destination, period.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:15 am
Original Poster

I thought so...but it seems odd in this case.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
The answer is 6 credits.

This summer I flew YYZ-YUL-MCO, total distance > 1500 miles. (YUL-MCO alone is 1249 miles.) I was charged 3 credits (summer promo).
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks MG.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
The number of eUpgrade Credits required is based on:
the distance you travel
the geographic market
the fare class you purchase
If you choose to upgrade only a portion of your itinerary, it is the actual distance of the flight segment chosen that will determine how many eUpgrade Credits are required.

EXAMPLE 1
You are flying on a Latitude fare from Toronto to Frankfurt with a connecting flight in Montreal. Your upgrade can be calculated in two ways:

Toronto-Frankfurt direct: 6 eUpgrade Credits
Toronto-Montreal (1 credit) + Montreal-Frankfurt (6 credits) = 7 eUpgrade Credits.
In this scenario, you will be charged 6 eUpgrade Credits.
Note: This example is for indicative purposes only. The actual credits required for this itinerary may differ.

EXAMPLE 2
You are flying on a Latitude fare from Toronto to Frankfurt with a connecting flight in Montreal.
You were charged 6 eUpgrade Credits to be upgraded for your entire itinerary, but you were not upgraded on your Montreal-Frankfurt flight.

The eUpgrade Credit calculation for your itinerary is as follows:
Toronto-Frankfurt direct: 6 eUpgrade Credits, or
Toronto-Montreal (1 credit) + Montreal-Frankfurt (6 credits)
In this scenario, you are entitled to a refund of 5 eUpgrade Credits (i.e. 6 credits initially removed minus 1 credit for the flight where you were actually seated in the Executive cabin.)

Note: This example is for indicative purposes only. The actual credits required for this itinerary may differ.

FLIGHT CONNECTIONS
Flight connections
When requesting an upgrade for an entire one-way itinerary, connections will be calculated as follows:
A connection between two flights wholly within Canada and the United States may last up to 10 hours, even when traveling on an international itinerary.
A connection between a flight within Canada & the United States and a flight beyond Canada & the United States may last up to 24 hours.
If you request an upgrade for an entire one-way itinerary that contains flight connections, you will be charged the lesser of:
the number of credits required for an upgrade between your origin and destination, or
the sum of the number of credits required per flight segment.

Source; www.aircanada.ca
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:48 am

lets say everything went well, all upgrades cleared.....the number of ecredits to be deducted is the mileage between origin-destination and not the actual mileage flown right?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
This makes sense to me. Usually when people are making wrong-way connections (I've done YQR-YYC-YYZ once myself, and this spring I did YQR-YVR-DEN-SAN) it's because they can't get a reasonable fair (or a ticket at all) on a more direct itinerary. There are three or four direct YQR-YYZ flights each day but circumstances might make you connect in YEG or YYC. It doesn't really seem fair to charge you the extra eUpgrade credits.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
lets say everything went well, all upgrades cleared.....the number of ecredits to be deducted is the mileage between origin-destination and not the actual mileage flown right?
Correct

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.