Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Suggestions for AE award routing YYZ AMS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Suggestions for AE award routing YYZ AMS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, Marriott Rewards, Tim Hortons
Suggestions for AE award routing YYZ AMS

We are celebrating a significant anniversary next year and are heading to AMS for an equestrian event. My wife has been to Great Britain and Ireland, but never to the continent. I’ll be springing for biz class awards (which she helped accumulate via CC usage!), so I’m looking for suggestions to help maximize the experience for her.

We are also open to suggestions as to which *A carrier we should try on the transatlantic legs, as well as for the European legs. And, following that, which European city we should enjoy in addition to AMS. We are thinking of staying in northern Europe (Germany, Austria, Belgium, etc. in addition to the Netherlands), but open to all suggestions. We are happy to take the train between a couple of cities to expand the mix to three destinations over the two-week trip.

In a perfect world I will also be redeeming some *Wood points for a few nights here and there, including AMS. We are adventurous, but don’t need to live on the edge every day; walking tours are what we usually enjoy. We enjoy good food and drink, but can be happy with local ‘comfort food’ and do not need 3* meals every day. Museums are nice, but so is wandering the streets and watching people.

So, who has the best J product for crossing the Atlantic? Best beds? Or should we try for a daylight flight in both directions? Who has an arrivals lounge on the continent? Do any particular *A carriers shine for the intra-European legs? Are there any airports and/or departure lounges that just ‘have’ to be seen?

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
The cheapest and best experience would be YYZ-YUL-ZRH-AMS on Swiss

The most direct would be YYZ-ORD/IAD-AMS on United, or YYZ-FRA/MUC-AMS on Lufthansa

If you flew Air Canada across the ocean, be ready to spend hundreds of dollars extra per ticket in fuel surcharges.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I'd suggest doing a routing on LX (whether through YUL or ORD) to AMS and take a stopover in ZRH. You'd be able to see a bit of Switzerland for "free" and then make your way to AMS.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Santander
I'd suggest doing a routing on LX (whether through YUL or ORD) to AMS and take a stopover in ZRH. You'd be able to see a bit of Switzerland for "free" and then make your way to AMS.
Agree LX is the way to go if you can get a pair of award seats, very difficult. LH is a passable alternative, but C seats are not the greatest. If you're willing to go via the US, then SK is another alternative via CPH, as would be Spannair via MAD or BCN. I suggest CO rather than UA metal if you're considering that option since UA's new C seats are pretty miserable. Of course, you know to avoid AC at all costs, though may require it to get to YUL or EWR or another US gateway.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Shareholder
If you're willing to go via the US, then SK is another alternative via CPH
I actually like SK and CPH, but beware that they're not fully flat in C, as with LH. I think CPH is Europe's greatest little "secret", it's obviously way less hectic as the majors like LHR and FRA but it really stands out among the mid-sized hubs like ZRH or VIE too. Plus the city itself is wonderful, one of my favourites in Europe.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 4:30 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Smile AC option

YYZ-YUL-BRU-AMS on AC metal. Rtn. via FRA, avoid LHR due to taxes. Happy Anniversary!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Duplicate

Last edited by allbrosca; Oct 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by BondGuy
We are celebrating a significant anniversary next year and are heading to AMS for an equestrian event. My wife has been to Great Britain and Ireland, but never to the continent. I’ll be springing for biz class awards (which she helped accumulate via CC usage!), so I’m looking for suggestions to help maximize the experience for her.

We are also open to suggestions as to which *A carrier we should try on the transatlantic legs, as well as for the European legs. And, following that, which European city we should enjoy in addition to AMS. We are thinking of staying in northern Europe (Germany, Austria, Belgium, etc. in addition to the Netherlands), but open to all suggestions. We are happy to take the train between a couple of cities to expand the mix to three destinations over the two-week trip.

In a perfect world I will also be redeeming some *Wood points for a few nights here and there, including AMS. We are adventurous, but don’t need to live on the edge every day; walking tours are what we usually enjoy. We enjoy good food and drink, but can be happy with local ‘comfort food’ and do not need 3* meals every day. Museums are nice, but so is wandering the streets and watching people.

So, who has the best J product for crossing the Atlantic? Best beds? Or should we try for a daylight flight in both directions? Who has an arrivals lounge on the continent? Do any particular *A carriers shine for the intra-European legs? Are there any airports and/or departure lounges that just ‘have’ to be seen?

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.
Last spring we went YYZ-FRA-AMS on LH in J, stayed at SPG's Hotel Pulitzer on a canal in Amsterdam, then took a 7 day river cruise up the Rhine and Mosel rivers, on to Paris with a stay at SPG's Le Méridien Etoile returning on AC. Pulitzer was nice, Etoile was very busy but adequate. Great trip. You may want to vary the return to get off AC metal and save some fees, but there is something to be said fof going direct.

Last edited by allbrosca; Oct 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by allbrosca
Last spring we went...on to Paris with a stay at SPG's Le Méridien Etoile
How did you like the Etoile? Is it worth the 48000 SPG points for 5 nights?

48k SPG equals approx 60k Aeroplan miles, so am hesitant to use SPG points for booking hotels...

Cheers
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
YYZ-YUL-BRU-AMS on AC metal. Rtn. via FRA, avoid LHR due to taxes. Happy Anniversary!
Does one really pay the exorbitant LHR taxes when merely on a connection though?

(Mind, you, I don't believe there are Star flights from AMS to LHR anymore so the point is more or less moot.)
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
How did you like the Etoile? Is it worth the 48000 SPG points for 5 nights?

48k SPG equals approx 60k Aeroplan miles, so am hesitant to use SPG points for booking hotels...

Cheers
I liked it. Busy hotel though. Room was clean. The river cruise I was on gave us 2 nights there and I added two. Nice area. Lots of restaurants. Can walk almost anywhere if you want to, but also close to the subway. I would do it again. I had lots of points to burn though. Good thing about SPG points is that there are no fuel surcharges and it's relatively easy to find availability At the Pulitzer we were able to upgrade to an "executive room" for (I think) an additional 1500 points or so a night.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
River cruise up the Danube to Paris?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, Marriott Rewards, Tim Hortons
Many thanks for comments and suggestions; currently exploring YUL ZRH on SWISS and will try to spend a few days in ZRH, but open to further suggestions for open jaw cities.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
River cruise up the Danube to Paris?
Brain cramp. Rhine. Fixed. Thx
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Stranger
Does one really pay the exorbitant LHR taxes when merely on a connection though?

(Mind, you, I don't believe there are Star flights from AMS to LHR anymore so the point is more or less moot.)
Unfortunately, yes. The British government soaks everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.