Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Cancelling vs Changing a Flight?

Question: Cancelling vs Changing a Flight?

Old Oct 15, 2011, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Cancelling vs Changing a Flight?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just have some confusion regarding change/cancellation fee.

NA T+ fare rule specifies $150 change fee, but it doesn't specify any fee for cancellation (just that it's non-refundable). So if let's say I have a YYZ-LAX flight and I want to change the date, what's the downside of "cancelling" my flight and then use the credit to book a new YYZ-LAX with the correct date?

Am I missing something obvious here?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Cancelling is a change as well, so the same fee applies.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yvr76
Cancelling is a change as well, so the same fee applies.
Ok so that's what the agent didn't tell me on the phone. That means if I paid $400 for the ticket, I will only get a credit of $250?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 3:38 pm
B1

Originally Posted by calligow
Ok so that's what the agent didn't tell me on the phone. That means if I paid $400 for the ticket, I will only get a credit of $250?
"Nonrefundable" could mean it can't be cancelled. Technically, you might have to change it for another flight or lose it all. I've had those sorts of tickets. The other thing to watch out for is that if you change it in one direction, the whole booking is subject to change fees. So if you change the original leg the return leg is subject to a change fee, even if it is the same flight because the itinerary was changed. This also happened to me and I was able to avoid it because it was not disclosed.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B1
"Nonrefundable" could mean it can't be cancelled. Technically, you might have to change it for another flight or lose it all. I've had those sorts of tickets. The other thing to watch out for is that if you change it in one direction, the whole booking is subject to change fees. So if you change the original leg the return leg is subject to a change fee, even if it is the same flight because the itinerary was changed. This also happened to me and I was able to avoid it because it was not disclosed.
Some airlines have non-changeable tickets. You don't show up, it's lost. I don't think AC has these.

First sentence above is misleading. "Can't be canceled" sounds like non-changeable. When the next sentence describes non-refundable. Non-refundable simply means that they won't refund. You at best get a credit, minus the change fee. Valid for one year.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:57 am

In my experience none of the previous responses are quite right with respect to AC's cancellation policy. Don't worry about B1's concern; AFAIK all AC non-refundable fares can be cancelled (subject to change fee). I think there was a time where in the "a-la-carte" pricing scheme that you could take an additional price deduction in exchange for "no changes" but I don't think they do this any more (I think this was only available on Tango fares).

If you want to cancel a flight, phone AC. You do not need to change to a different flight, the residual value will stay on file as a credit. The change fees will be due when you go to book your changed flights.

calligow, to answer your question, if you have a $400 flight and you cancel, you will have a $400 flight credit. The change fee will be paid in addition to this, no matter what.

For all of the following examples assume that you have a $400 flight that you cancel (Tango, non-refundable on a domestic itinerary) and the change fee is $150 (because there were 2 directions of travel prevously cancelled):
  • If your new flight is worth $400, there will be no fare difference and you will have to pay the $150 change fee.
  • If your new flight is worth $450, there will be a fare difference of $50 and you will have to pay the $150 change fee.
  • If your new flight is only worth $100, you will forfeit $300 worth of ticket value, and you will still have to pay the $150 change fee. THE RESIDUAL VALUE OF YOUR ORIGINAL TICKET CANNOT BE APPLIED TOWARDS CHANGE FEES.

My advice is that if you ever have to cancel a trip with AC, avoid rebooking the lowest fare and rebook into a fare class that uses up as much of the original ticket value as possible. This way if you have to cancel, or change, again the value of your ticket that carries forward will be larger. Using the example above, if you have to cancel your ticket again, and you had re-booked a lower cost ticket, AC's system would show that you only have a $100 flight credit instead of $400, as that was the value of the most recently cancelled ticket.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies, and special kudos to YEG USER for going in depth. In the aftermath I didn't cancel my flight because I could still use the journey to do something useful anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.