Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ultra cheap fare means bonus surcharge YVR-NRT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder

I know this has been a talking point over and over again here but I felt I had to make a topic about it because it affected me when I actually wanted to book a trip.

In the latest AC promotion email, it touts a 20% off coupon code to Asia (but not HKG, but that is a complaint for a different time).

Now I want to take a trip YVR-NRT-YVR
Base fare with 20% discount - $360
Taxes, fees, and surcharges - $672.08

Almost double the fare in "extra" charges; extra charges which do not receive a discount. Selecting fares of $180 on each of the screens for outbound and return and then being shown a price of over $1000 for the total just isn't honest.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Noticed the same thing myself. It is the fuel surcharge of $594...

Interesting that the YQ to other Asian destinations is MUCH lower....

ICN $240, PVG $330, etc..
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Be very careful as those "ultra cheap fares" may be enhanced to yield you 0 status miles..... Which would be important if you are a collector.

Put down the base fare, give a "bonus" coupon, and then hide the reduction in YQ surcharge. They have been doing it for while now, and getting away with it.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidYYC
Be very careful as those "ultra cheap fares" may be enhanced to yield you 0 status miles..... Which would be important if you are a collector.
Books into K
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Don't get mad, get even.

Seriously - it's time to have your voice heard by a group that's going to do something about it. Complaining here or even directly to AC only leads to further enhancements.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by DavidYYC

Put down the base fare, give a "bonus" coupon, and then hide the reduction in YQ surcharge. They have been doing it for while now, and getting away with it.
These fares still book into the T+ column. Fortunately AC's engine is quite clear as to which fare class grouping fares fall and the "change" is just regularizing the status of all Tango fares...they don't earn SMs and may not earn any mileage, which saves the non-collector money and AC/AE from giving miles (which cost it money) and holding onto an overhang of miles that will never be used, but will sit as a liability on AE's books.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
Noticed the same thing myself. It is the fuel surcharge of $594...

Interesting that the YQ to other Asian destinations is MUCH lower....

ICN $240, PVG $330, etc..
While I'm defending AC, the "taxes and surcharges" to NRT from all carriers are in this ballpark. Gotta compare apples to apples.

However, I remember the amount in the neighbourhood of around $600 but there was talk of a 'premium season' tax. The OP doesn't state the dates he's looking at so I wonder if the slightly higher amount is because of this.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:58 am

the price of aviation fuel is more expensive in Japan......
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain
The OP doesn't state the dates he's looking at so I wonder if the slightly higher amount is because of this.
Dec 7-14

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
the price of aviation fuel is more expensive in Japan......
Okay...

YVR-ICN-YVR is 10% farther than YVR-NRT-YVR
YQ to NRT is $594
YQ to ICN is $240
Really?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Calling this fuel surcharge is a fraud.

The more proper name would be strategic false-advertising-mislead-the-public surcharge.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz
Don't get mad, get even.
Agree 100%! Reduce/remove the YQ via tricks for discounting way beyond 20%.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:12 pm

And if the YQ was in the fare, you would see 3% off promo codes instead of 15-20.... Everything is Relative....

On another note.... if AC was smart... they would fly YYZ-NRT-ICN and back. Load up as much fuel as possible to not be overweight and then do the reverse.... might save them some money from the fuel scoundrels in Japan
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by zoobtoob
Dec 7-14

Okay...

YVR-ICN-YVR is 10% farther than YVR-NRT-YVR
YQ to NRT is $594
YQ to ICN is $240
Really?
No, price of fuel has nothing to do with it. NRT is highly regulated. That's why there was the (failed) push for flights to HND. From what I remember, the 'fuel and taxes' were about 1/2 of NRT.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain
No, price of fuel has nothing to do with it. NRT is highly regulated.
Well then AC should be forward about it.

If they wanted to bill fuel outside of their base fare, make the fuel surcharge cover fuel only. After all, it is the fuel surcharge.
Bill landing fees/ground worker charges/whatever separately.

I have no problem paying for a product or service as long as I understand what I am paying for.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
The fuel surcharge to NRT is a scam.

I priced out a trip YYZ-NRT and saw the whopping fuel surcharge. Then I priced out YYZ-SIN (which routes via NRT). The fuel charge from YYZ-to Singapore is cheaper than the YYZ-NRT surcharge even though YYZ-NRT is within the YYZ-SIN itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.