Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question for an Employee re: Zed-fare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Hi AC employee(s),

I will be flying to LHR on an employee zed-fare on Wednesday. My friend is the spouse of an AC-employee. Our goal is to continue on to LIS. Looking at the rules, it appears that I (non-employee) cannot receive a zed-ticket on a Non-Star-Alliance member unless I fly with the employee (she is not coming, again, only the spouse).

My question is, is that is their another way for me to obtain a zed-fare for say, BA, or another NON-star-alliance member? He can get one as a spouse, but of course, I'd like to get one too .

Any answers or links to rules would be well appreciated!

Cheers,
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

???

Last time I encountered a Z fare, it was a regular discounted business class fare, not an employee fare.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
???

Last time I encountered a Z fare, it was a regular discounted business class fare, not an employee fare.
OP is talking about ZED fare.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by dominick
Hi AC employee(s),

I will be flying to LHR on an employee zed-fare on Wednesday. My friend is the spouse of an AC-employee. Our goal is to continue on to LIS. Looking at the rules, it appears that I (non-employee) cannot receive a zed-ticket on a Non-Star-Alliance member unless I fly with the employee (she is not coming, again, only the spouse).

My question is, is that is their another way for me to obtain a zed-fare for say, BA, or another NON-star-alliance member? He can get one as a spouse, but of course, I'd like to get one too .

Cheers,
I don't know the answer to your question, however I'd stay well clear of BA and UK simply due to the ridiculous departure taxes which you will have to pay even on a ZED fare. Maybe see if you can take the train out of UK and an LCC to LIS.

Last edited by payam81; Oct 2, 2011 at 11:38 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by payam81
I don't know the answer to your question, however I'd stay well clear of BA and UK simply due to the ridiculous departure taxes which you will have to pay even on a ZED fare. Maybe see if you can take the train out of UK and an LLC to LIS.
Yeah, I was thinking that - but I may use points on BA should I not be able to get a zed-fare - also with the frequency of AC flights to LHR vs other Euro-cities, we are probably a bit safer with our tight schedule....
Old Oct 2, 2011, 3:11 pm

Hi AC employee(s),

Cheers,
Isn't this a question that your friend should be able to answer/sort out for you?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Any answers or links to rules would be well appreciated
Rule #1

Subject not for public discussion.

Please ask "spouse" and friend to aquaint themselves with the rules.

Last edited by PropWasher; Oct 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wirez666
Isn't this a question that your friend should be able to answer/sort out for you?
Unfortunately, I know more about AC and other airlines than he!

Originally Posted by PropWasher
Rule #1

Subject not for public discussion.

Please ask "spouse" and friend to aquaint themselves with the rules.

A quick google search reveals dozens of Zed-fare articles of many airlines-even threads about fares....(just nothing exactly what I'm asking, which I thought was a generic question), I didn't realize this was hush-hush, however almost everyone knows AC-employeeshas a flying benefit, as I have a "benefit" at my work, as most people has a "benefit" at their work.....
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Unfortunately, I know more about AC and other airlines than he!

A quick google search reveals dozens of Zed-fare articles of many airlines-even threads about fares....(just nothing exactly what I'm asking, which I thought was a generic question), I didn't realize this was hush-hush, however almost everyone knows AC-employeeshas a flying benefit, as I have a "benefit" at my work, as most people has a "benefit" at their work.....
But FlyerTalk is not an Air Canada employee forum.

Go ask your friend instead. However you have already answered your own question in the first post... that you cannot get a connecting flight on a non-Star Alliance flight. Best for you to just BUY a ticket .. like the rest of us minions do !
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:44 pm

Hi AC employee(s),

Cheers,
you will have to buy a ticket. No airline allows buddy travel on another airline without the employee traveling with them.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:39 pm

OP, I believe this information is usually disseminated to employees only and such questions would be best answered by AC Employee Reservations or you could ask BA Reservations.

Having known people that works in the industry, it is my understanding that a reciprocal agreement between two airlines is usually required in order to obtain employee fares. However, some airlines may release seats at employee pricing if you can show your staff ID pass.

Sorry couldnt be much help as most of us are revenue frequent fliers, not employees of an airline.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:21 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Once on an AC flight, sat beside a high level TACA guy. Nice guy, great chat, he even said to send him my AE stuff to status match “You'll be pleased with the results”; I smile thinking the irony of him poaching whilst using a “free” airline employee tix.

Recently on an AC flight, sat with an Emirates employee. Great guy, very interesting conversation hearing some of the behind-the-scenes shenanigans; I smile thinking the irony of Emirates folks flying “free” standby AC tix trying to convert me to the Emirates point of view.

Actually, given the number of airline industry employees, it should not be rare to be sitting beside one.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
...Actually, given the number of airline industry employees, it should not be rare to be sitting beside one.
Happens all the time in J cabin
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)

I'm not an AC employee, but it seems to me that the simplest solution would be to fly TAP. Unlike BA, they are a Star Alliance member, so it should be easier to get a staff ticket for you as well.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by alex0683de
I'm not an AC employee, but it seems to me that the simplest solution would be to fly TAP. Unlike BA, they are a Star Alliance member, so it should be easier to get a staff ticket for you as well.
they are not the employee....regardless of which airline they fly with be it star Alliance or not they cannot travel without the employee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.