Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Winnipeg too dangerous for Air Canada staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../18765491.html

WINNIPEG — This city's core area is so dangerous and riddled with crime that Canada's largest airliner is no longer allowing its pilots and flight crew to stay in downtown hotels during layovers.

In a rare move, Air Canada has issued a bulletin to its flight crews saying staff will no longer be staying at the Radisson Hotel downtown due to increasing concerns over violent crime in the area.

Flight crews will now stay at the Sandman Hotel near James Armstrong Richardson International Airport.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:18 pm

wow... I heard stories about downtown but never witnesed it first hand thank god!

Must be a real issue....
Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
It's not all that bad... MTS Centre is right there and all the Jets fans aren't afraid of going there. Air Canada call centre is just down the street !
Old Sep 30, 2011, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../18765491.html

WINNIPEG — This city's core area is so dangerous and riddled with crime that Canada's largest airliner is no longer allowing its pilots and flight crew to stay in downtown hotels during layovers.

In a rare move, Air Canada has issued a bulletin to its flight crews saying staff will no longer be staying at the Radisson Hotel downtown due to increasing concerns over violent crime in the area.

Flight crews will now stay at the Sandman Hotel near James Armstrong Richardson International Airport.
How will groups like local Chamber of Commerce react? (rhetorical question)
Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Isn't the Sheraton attached to the terminal? Why not stay there if the downtown core is so bad?

Anyway, I've been to The Peg a few times and I don't find it bad at all. Sure it's not a high-end place where you go to buy Louis Vuitton, Chanel and the like but I certainly wouldn't think of YWG as a "tough town" either.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Sounds like Guatemala, Nicaragua and Honduras, and now Winnipeg.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:21 pm

So where do the crews stay in the murder capital of Canada? LOL
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
I see the Jazz crews at the Delta all the time...wonder if they'll get moved too..
Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
Hotel MacDonald
Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Sounds like its just the Radisson..

But also sounds like AC got a better rate at the Sandman near the airport.. and transportation for crew is more convenient..
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Sounds like its just the Radisson..

But also sounds like AC got a better rate at the Sandman near the airport.. and transportation for crew is more convenient..
Where in the linked article does it say anything about the airline getting better rates at the Sandman? Quit making things up.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: AC*SE, Lifetime Bonvoy PP, Hilton D, National EE, Avis First
Where in the linked article does it say anything about the airline getting better rates at the Sandman? Quit making things up.
^
Old Oct 1, 2011, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
I thought Edmonton held that distinction!
Old Oct 1, 2011, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not read anywhere in linked article that there are better rates either?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: Just a kettle now :)
Originally Posted by RCyyz
Isn't the Sheraton attached to the terminal? Why not stay there if the downtown core is so bad?

Anyway, I've been to The Peg a few times and I don't find it bad at all. Sure it's not a high-end place where you go to buy Louis Vuitton, Chanel and the like but I certainly wouldn't think of YWG as a "tough town" either.
Yep, the Four Points is right at the airport. I've stayed there once and then walked to CanadaInns Stadium to catch a Bombers-Eskimos game It's a dated property, but taken care of very well, with friendly staff, and clean, well-maintained rooms.

I'm curious about what set this off for Air Canada. It seems like most of Winnipeg's crime problems either don't involve people (i.e., thefts from vehicles), or, involve a mix of gangs/drugs/alcohol. So long as you mind your own business, you should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.