Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can't do online check-in - must see agent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Trying to check-in for a Canada-US flight. I enter my passport information and the system boots me out, telling me I need to see an AC agent to confirm my travel document. Passport is Canadian with several years of validity left. Any idea what's up?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
You might have been selected for SSSS, secondary screening.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:10 am

Last time that happened to me it was because my name matched a watch list name. Was cleared with a phone call during check-in and hasn't happened since.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:10 am

Yes, it might be SSSS, but it can also be a simple document check by AC. I've had this happen before. I think they do a random check sometimes. It is annoying if one has planned on doing no checked bags and a quick dash through security.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: Free Agent
agree that it could be simple document check- another version is 'you can check in but need to see an agent to print boarding pass' that I got on a CO codeshare.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I gave up on calling AC after spending half an hour listening to muzak. I'll talk to a check-in agent later today—working at the airport has its perks.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
This has become a regular feature for US-bound flights on most airlines, no matter what your status is. I've had it on every such flight since August. They want to confirm passport even though this information should now be on file and one does fill out the preflight info form when doing OLCI. Just another hassle on the part of our friends below the border! Wish they'd integrate the NEXUS/GE/Trusted Traveler data bases so there'd be no need for such visual confirmation...though that may well be the reason. If we are registered for NEXUS/GE it means we'd never see anyone who'd check our passport photo against but then again, why is that necessary since our iris or fingerprints would have to be scanned. Dumb, dumb, dumb! Has nothing to do with SSSS.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:49 am

Just got the same thing here, checking in for tomorrow morning. First time it has happened to me.

When will they get around to making NEXUS one of the choices of travel document for OLCI?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by okazon69
When will they get around to making NEXUS one of the choices of travel document for OLCI?
NEXUS is not a legal travel document (you still need to carry your passport).

When will the system be able to cross-reference from your passport number to determine that you are a Nexus member?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by The Lev
When will the system be able to cross-reference from your passport number to determine that you are a Nexus member?
That would involve government databases being available to private companies (the airlines). Pretty sure a lot of people would have a problem with that, even if it meant a more seamless process for others.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I have had an ongoing issue with inability to check-in online. This was when I did not use my Aeroplan # with my account. As a result, my name (or something similar) was on a 'list' which required verification of identification by an agent. The agent would then call into AC security and they would consent to clearance.

From my understanding, the passport # cannot be used to bypass the security question unless there is physical verification by an agent.

This may not be your situation, but if you need more details to figure out if this is what is happening and possible contacts, please PM me.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by neuron
I have had an ongoing issue with inability to check-in online. This was when I did not use my Aeroplan # with my account. As a result, my name (or something similar) was on a 'list' which required verification of identification by an agent. The agent would then call into AC security and they would consent to clearance.

From my understanding, the passport # cannot be used to bypass the security question unless there is physical verification by an agent.

This may not be your situation, but if you need more details to figure out if this is what is happening and possible contacts, please PM me.
OLCI without proper set up can be onerous..

Checking in OGG this year, I was typing all of my travel document info on my BB when the line at the airport stalled..

But leaving LAX, everything was programmed into the computer, and I easily OLCI at the hotel, before checking out.. All personal info was preprogrammed in and no hassle..
Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by Shareholder
This has become a regular feature for US-bound flights on most airlines, no matter what your status is. I've had it on every such flight since August. They want to confirm passport even though this information should now be on file and one does fill out the preflight info form when doing OLCI. Just another hassle on the part of our friends below the border! Wish they'd integrate the NEXUS/GE/Trusted Traveler data bases so there'd be no need for such visual confirmation...though that may well be the reason. If we are registered for NEXUS/GE it means we'd never see anyone who'd check our passport photo against but then again, why is that necessary since our iris or fingerprints would have to be scanned. Dumb, dumb, dumb! Has nothing to do with SSSS.
This is not necessarily a US thing. My wife cannot do OLCI for inter Canadian flights either. Name matches with something on the Canadian watch list. Must check in with an agent every flight.

She can however do OLCI for inter US flights.

Last edited by drwilliams; Oct 1, 2011 at 8:21 am Reason: add data point
Old Oct 1, 2011, 11:13 am

Nothing special at YUL this morning. The agent didn't know why I wasn't able to check in online, and I was able to use NEXUS and go through US immigration without any issues. Very strange.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 5:51 pm

Happened to me yesterday in HKG too for document check, nothing special at airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.