Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bottom Feeders

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Bottom Feeders

My guess is that many FFs travel due to work and expense their trips, but accrue the miles associated with the flights. Understandable, when one is making such frequent trips, it would make a substantial difference to have access to lounges, more comfortable seats etc.

Some of the posters in this forum seem to support AC's changes which make it more difficult for the so called "bottom feeders," to accrue miles. But why applaud changes that penalize those who fly less often, or perhaps fly in a lower fare bucket?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:04 pm

Unfortunately we live in a world where "you get what you paid for"

It's a top tier program, used to be "exclusive". Now it's turned into a college cafeteria. The washroom at times stink like the terminals.

Business class and extra legroom is supposed to generate revenue, not be blocked by all these frequent flier who feels they should be entitled access for free (op up, ecredits etc).

Unfortunately all these things a frequent flier wants cost the airline money and they need to recover by ensuring those people entitled to the extra resources pay top dollar.

A VIP club is designed for a small percentage of attendees and not en masses.

I don't think it's fair to call people bottom feeders, since a yield revenue management model needs both high and low fares/buyers to work. Nonetheless, it is important to reflect the value of what a person has paid for.

Essentially the person that paid $3000 on the same flight and seated next to you, while you paid $1000 has subsidized you $1000, making the average revenue per seat of $2000. If you asked that person "hey you idiot, I paid $2000 less than you" how would he/she feel? But if he/she is entitled to something more because he/she paid more, then it attempts to keep the two of you happy in the long run.

Last edited by global happy traveller; Sep 26, 2011 at 9:15 pm
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by znke252
My guess is that many FFs travel due to work and expense their trips, but accrue the miles associated with the flights. Understandable, when one is making such frequent trips, it would make a substantial difference to have access to lounges, more comfortable seats etc.

Some of the posters in this forum seem to support AC's changes which make it more difficult for the so called "bottom feeders," to accrue miles. But why applaud changes that penalize those who fly less often, or perhaps fly in a lower fare bucket?
Who cares who paid for the fare? AC is still getting the revenue and should reward those pax. If you travel once a year on vacation, why you should expect anything more than basic service?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Travelling weekly away from my home, friends, dog and loved one is no luxury. I'd actually rather be at home.

Flying J and F and having access to lounges helps take the grind out of the travel. Having trashed food and washrooms in a lounge wrecks that.

Last week in the HKG RCC two 'first time loungers' took a bottle of white and red to their seating area. Creative, but bottom feeding.

Dorian
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:14 pm

To be frank, because AC needs to return to profitability. Negotiating better union agreements is a good start, but it's not the only requirement to get there. Airfares have declined in real dollars for years to the point where, for economy class, it is a commodity market, many travelers choose solely on price. Many members here are even proving it with their comments that they are only allowed to book the cheapest ticket.

If many of your potential customers will choose solely based on price, then that is what you have to compete on. So offering, for example, 100% miles for all tickets when your competitors don't, isn't a major competitive advantage (if anything it just hurts your cost basis) because it isn't a factor to those type of customers. Offering a lower ticket price on the other hand, is.

The change allows Air Canada to focus their marketing efforts. T for leisure. T+ at a slight upsell for their FF/general business traveller (note, most corporate contracts with AC book into T+, so this change has no impact). And finally full Y for the specialty market.

Will this change hurt me financially, probably as I'll probably buy up to T+. But as a CA, I've got to say it looks like a well thought out business decision that takes into account the realities of today's airline industry.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dorian
Travelling weekly away from my home, friends, dog and loved one is no luxury.
Dorian
Away from your dog? give me a break. I agree with almost everything you say, but when you get to the dog thing, take me as far awayas possible from any dog.
Original Poster

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Unfortunately we live in a world where "you get what you paid for"

It's a top tier program, used to be "exclusive". Now it's turned into a college cafeteria. The washroom at times stink like the terminals.

A VIP club is designed for a small percentage of attendees and not en masses.
Yes... but a lot of folks with status probably don't pay for this privilege, their companies do. A "bottom feeder" could actually be the one who forks out more $$ for the flights. Besides, lounge access can now be purchased, so the only perk is earning miles. Since redemption in usually in economy, those with status could actually have better opportunities to be "bumped" to business.

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Dorian
Last week in the HKG RCC two 'first time loungers' took a bottle of white and red to their seating area. Creative, but bottom feeding.
I''d say "sans classe" would be an accurate description here.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I''d say "sans classe" would be an accurate description here.
is it really or is it just two people enjoying a bottle of wine???
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:21 pm

First and business class along with top tier packages is intended for those rich/ financially afford it. Doesn't matter where the money comes from (personal or corporate).

It is not a welfare or social service that many think it should. Essentially all these North American carriers with UDU, SWU, Eupgrade have done is diluted their premium market into a glorified walmart (wait that is called target)

Essentially if you pay the lowest fare and you wanted to have additional access to lounges etc then fork it up. That is what the whole strategy is.

I am surprised that Aeroplan did not raise reward redemption mileage further like their Asian and European counterparts.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Z-man
Who cares who paid for the fare? AC is still getting the revenue and should reward those pax. If you travel once a year on vacation, why you should expect anything more than basic service?
I'm referring to the ability to earn miles, not the expectation of any kind of elaborate service. Travelling away from home and family every week for weeks on end can't be very enjoyable. So I'm not begrudging the perks that those with status receive. It's just the "better than thou" attitude that sometimes comes across.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:27 pm

You get what you pay for. Like Shell if you pump premium gas you get x3 the Air Miles, if not you get whatever you get, if you gas less than $25 you get 0.

It's not like AC is giving nothing. They are just giving you a fraction of the miles just as you have given them a fraction of a higher or full fare the $ for their seat.

There are two sides of a story, think of the person too that has paid $3000 more sitting next to you.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by Z-man
is it really or is it just two people enjoying a bottle of wine???
Yes, it really is tacky and cheap to take two bottles of wine to your table and go at it at an airline lounge.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:29 pm

I wonder if they got refused boarding for being overly intoxicated.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Besides, lounge access can now be purchased, so the only perk is earning miles. Since redemption in usually in economy, those with status could actually have better opportunities to be "bumped" to business.
Redemtion can be in any class btw. As far as perks, we have priority boarding, check in and seating. Where did u ever come up with the idea that redemprtion is usuallty in E> I hvae never redeemed for an E ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.