Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Lounge access for minor with status

Lounge access for minor with status

Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jlisi984
This conversation has veered all the way off track. SE is a loyalty programme. Key word loyalty. I think it'll be up to AC to decide how important my loyalty is to them and what they'd like to do. I am 100% prepared that I still won't be able to access the MLLs. I'd just like a suitable alternative or compensation. I think we can all agree that's fair?
I don't think so.

You are permitted to access the MLL as part of the SE program, but subject to your meeting certain other conditions (in this case the requirement to be of drinking age since it is a licensed area.) AC/AP can do nothing about this and they don't owe you anything (in the T&Cs they say that they can withdraw whatever privileges they choose, from anybody, at any time.)

You are an unusual case in that you are a status pax travelling unaccompanied but below the drinking age. I'm not sure that a concierge 'babysitting' you makes a lot of sense for anybody and they don't need to give you a refund because you haven't paid for anything.

Look, I'm sympathetic to your situation, but I think you are in a difficult position for the next few years.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I think it is clear that, based on the T&C that AC has established, they do not have to accomodate or otherwise compensate the OP BUT don't you think they would want to do something for someone at the SE level, theoretically one of their top customers? Isn't this about customer service and rewarding loyalty? Customers like the OP should be the bread and butter of AC's future. If they can keep customers happy, they will thrive and prosper. If not, they will be just another NA airline that everyone whines and complains about and tries to avoid at all costs. That being said, although they don't have to do anything for the OP, they should do something. Maybe one of those lounge attendants can put down their book for 30 minutes to have a chat with the OP while he has a bowl of soup and checks his email. They could probaby still read their book while they do that!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Smile

I think it is clear that, based on the T&C that AC has established, they do not have to accomodate or otherwise compensate the OP BUT don't you think they would want to do something for someone at the SE level, theoretically one of their top customers? Isn't this about customer service and rewarding loyalty? Customers like the OP should be the bread and butter of AC's future. If they can keep customers happy, they will thrive and prosper. If not, they will be just another NA airline that everyone whines and complains about and tries to avoid at all costs. That being said, although they don't have to do anything for the OP, they should do something. Maybe one of those lounge attendants can put down their book for 30 minutes to have a chat with the OP while he has a bowl of soup and checks his email. They could probaby still read their book while they do that!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: FT
This conversation has veered all the way off track. SE is a loyalty programme. Key word loyalty. I think it'll be up to AC to decide how important my loyalty is to them and what they'd like to do. I am 100% prepared that I still won't be able to access the MLLs. I'd just like a suitable alternative or compensation. I think we can all agree that's fair?
it is but many will say screw you and you deserve nothing....just ignore them....stick to your guns and i think they do owe you an alternative....perhaps not contractually, but they do.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Maybe one of those lounge attendants can put down their book for 30 minutes to have a chat with the OP while he has a bowl of soup and checks his email. They could probaby still read their book while they do that!
....best line EVER. and soo true!!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Maybe one of those lounge attendants can put down their book for 30 minutes to have a chat with the OP while he has a bowl of soup and checks his email. They could probaby still read their book while they do that!
I realise this is meant as humour, but it's still a case of an underage person in a licensed establishment. Nothing changes!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:33 am

Totally agree that they should find an alternative way to accommodate you as a Top Tier customer..... even a meal voucher or reading the riot act + close supervision (like advise them of where in the MLL you are and checking on you every 15-30 mins) might be some workarounds.....

but then knowing some of the lounge dragons....they are quite fixed to their chairs.....
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
As a university professor, I congratulate you on your use of the word flummoxed.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Sebring
Do liquor laws pertain to a minor's presence in an establishment serving liquor, or to their having access to or being served liquor? There is a reasonable accommodation for the latter. I'd suggest the compromise is access to the business lounge with the SE agreeing, in writing, that if he imbibes any alcohol, he will have ALL of his privileges SE suspended and that he will reimburse Air Canada for any fines. As a concert pianist, he has a reputation to uphold, and an income sufficient to post bond.
If it was a serviced bar there would be no issue with entry by an unaccompanied minor, but as long as it is a self-service bar the entry restriction applies. Coincidentally today's WALL STREET JOURNAL has a feature on young FFers and this issue does appear in the story for some of them when trying to enter clubs with self serve bars (like the NZ LAX lounge). They feature another young Calgarian, but not Jan.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
jlisi984,
Just curious when you get admitted to a lounge because it is before 11:00 AM, do they come hunting for you at 11:00 once the demon gin is made available?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I realise this is meant as humour, but it's still a case of an underage person in a licensed establishment. Nothing changes!
Yes it does. Adult supervision! I admit that I do not know what is required by law.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by Shareholder
If it was a serviced bar there would be no issue with entry by an unaccompanied minor, but as long as it is a self-service bar the entry restriction applies. Coincidentally today's WALL STREET JOURNAL has a feature on young FFers and this issue does appear in the story for some of them when trying to enter clubs with self serve bars (like the NZ LAX lounge). They feature another young Calgarian, but not Jan.
link to the article

wondering what the routing looks like that the fellow canadian is able to visit Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Korea and Hong Kong over 17 days next year

i guess on this board connecting is considered visiting
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
23 hrs connections!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
there are two young frequent fliers living in Calgary????
Old Sep 22, 2011, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
The Wall Street Journal is featuring rehoult.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.