Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: What is your Aeroplan Fuel Surcharge "pain" point

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: What is your Aeroplan Fuel Surcharge "pain" point

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
What is your Aeroplan Fuel Surcharge "pain" point

So you've decided to redeem a J award ticket across an ocean. Your choice is either to

1) Fly direct on AC and get hit with hundreds of dollars of fuel surcharge
2) Fly direct on LH and get the worst J seat in the industry, on an overnight flight
3) Double connect through Canada and fly LX.

At what point is the fuel surcharge too much? My pain point is $200 per direction...after that, I'll settle for the LH seat instead of the pod.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
While it's undoubtedly a huge, vexing irritant, the fuel surcharge wouldn't prohibit me from redeeming a reward ticket, I don't think; at least it hasn't yet. I've still been able to derive tremendous value from the very long haul AP reward tickets in J, and my experience has been that starting a trip in comfort for a tatl in an AC pod gets things off on the right foot, so by and large I've swallowed the surcharge. I believe it got as high as $250 for one upcoming trip. I recognize, however, that others have much stronger views on this and will lable me crazy
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:46 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
My answer would be 1)

Don't know about the pain point. Maybe $1000 per ticket. Time is money too. So if the flight takes 1-2 hours more, paying $300-400 per hour extra is IMO worth it.

LH seats are terrible in J, even in their 388. I would try to avoid. LX J seats are not much better. I would avoid as well.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by jarusoba
LX J seats are not much better. I would avoid as well.
This is the first negative comment I have seen about the LX J seats. Have you been on the new ones used on the 333? I believe that they are in the process of changing all of their planes over to this.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SensFan
This is the first negative comment I have seen about the LX J seats. Have you been on the new ones used on the 333? I believe that they are in the process of changing all of their planes over to this.
I have. Nothing to write home about. The seat is quite narrow and compared to AC, the adjustment possibilities are limited. Moreover, the seat seems to be parallel with the floor in sleep mode, so my feet were higher than my head. I hate to sleep like this. Honestly, I would choose LH's J seat over it anytime.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Mine is (2), I refuse to pay for a free ticket especially to the crooks.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
LX's seats in J are perfect, nothing wrong with these seats on their new planes.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Of course, or I wouldn't be commenting.

The service is awesome but the seats have nothing to write home about. The seats are really not horizontally flat and are uncomfortable. Better than LH but not as good as AC.

Food is way better than AC though.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Of course, or I wouldn't be commenting.

The service is awesome but the seats have nothing to write home about. The seats are really not horizontally flat and are uncomfortable. Better than LH but not as good as AC.

Food is way better than AC though.
Hmm, I don't know...are you sure you were in J, not in F? Somehow I found the service good, but nothing to write home about. Heck, LO's service on the way back was better. Now, the seat, that's a different story.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
I choose Austrian direct to Vienna over AC and LH.

Fees on Air Canada for two in J was $1,186 and on Austrian $323.

Never flown on Austrian so do not know how good or bad J is....
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: AC QR WS*P
I just checked YHZ-PER, wound up with taxes and fees of about $750. Then I checked an AC flight to ORD, and AE rewards from ORD to PER, total was $350 for the YYZ-ORD flight and $200 taxes and fees for ORD-PER (flying ANA and SQ). While not great connections (SIN-NRT-ORD), and only really saving $200, it really shows the difference in fees that come with AC.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Hmm, I don't know...are you sure you were in J, not in F? Somehow I found the service good, but nothing to write home about. Heck, LO's service on the way back was better. Now, the seat, that's a different story.
For service, I might have mixed up with LX F. But I have never experienced bad service on LX.

Definitely, LX F have great seats, but LX J is bad, not terrible.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Yukonprince
I choose Austrian direct to Vienna over AC and LH.

Fees on Air Canada for two in J was $1,186 and on Austrian $323.

Never flown on Austrian so do not know how good or bad J is....
The J seats of OS suck, like LH.

The food and service are great. They even have a cook onboard.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:56 am

not sure why some airlines would continue procuring old J seats......
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
The J seats of OS suck, like LH.

The food and service are great. They even have a cook onboard.
I´d even go a step further: Os seats suck even more than the LH C seats Lh has a 2-2-2 cpnfig on all planes except the 744. OS has a 2-3-2 config on many long-distance routes and their regional product (read Y seats) on flights up to 4-5h.

However, I´d definitely agree with you about the service and particularly the food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.