Flight Attendant Strike as early as Sept 21

Old Sep 13, 11, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Fairmont Premier, SPG
Flight Attendant Strike as early as Sept 21

/// 680News BREAKING NEWS ALERT \\\

Possible Air Canada flight attendant strike September 21

Air Canada flight attendants have voted almost 98 per cent in favour of walking out as early as September 21
Old Sep 13, 11, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by GFS YYZ View Post
/// 680News BREAKING NEWS ALERT \\\

Possible Air Canada flight attendant strike September 21

Air Canada flight attendants have voted almost 98 per cent in favour of walking out as early as September 21
And this means what exactly? Not being sarcastic or anything, but interested in knowing how this will affect flights...
Old Sep 13, 11, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold; AE; AA Platinum; Club Carlson Gold; SPG Gold; HHonorsGold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by hearna View Post
And this means what exactly? Not being sarcastic or anything, but interested in knowing how this will affect flights...
My thoughts exactly!!! Will be interested to read what everyone thinks.....especially as I have a ticket to fly on Sept 21!!!
Old Sep 13, 11, 4:10 pm

Programs: AC, AS, SPG Gold, PC Gold, Accor
We're booked on a flight Sept 29...

I think it will go the same way as the gate agents earlier this year. The flight attendants will be out for max 3-4 days before they are legislated back to work by the gov't.

While they're out I know that AC will try to keep the biggest planes flying by having management do the FA work. Other service will probably be minimally impacted.
Old Sep 13, 11, 4:18 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
personally think they won't be out on strike the first day, as a good PR move they might agree to some last minute extensions to see if they can come to an agreement, then find out they're too far apart and strike a few days later, like the gate agents the threat of legislation will probably bring them back after being off the job for 3-4 days

however the fallout will be much bigger depending on what contingencies AC has, i suspect long haul flights won't be affected much, most likely flights within Canada and to the U.S

hoping everything gets settled through negotiations though and they won't end up walking off
Old Sep 13, 11, 4:22 pm

How is AC gonna notify affted clinets?

Just wondering if AC has to cancel flights practically how many days in advance does the airline have to notify affected passengers?

BTW my family is planning to travel on Sept 23.

Cheers!

Old Sep 13, 11, 5:47 pm

Programs: FT
AC has a hard time notifying people of cancellations when there is not a strike....
Old Sep 13, 11, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Arghh... short hop from Penticton to YVR on the 21st am. I'll drive back if I have to!
Old Sep 13, 11, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post
Arghh... short hop from Penticton to YVR on the 21st am. I'll drive back if I have to!
I don't think Jazz flights will be affected. Totally different airline and union.
Old Sep 13, 11, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr View Post
AC has a hard time notifying people of cancellations when there is not a strike....
Sad but true! Any flights delayed by striking FA's will proby get the 15/10/15/30/20/NEVER minute delay anouncements.
Old Sep 13, 11, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
great---planning on YEG-YVR-YYZ-YOW-YEG next week.

I refuse to fly West Jet. Going to have to chance it.
Old Sep 13, 11, 6:34 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: *A Gold / OW Sapphire / SPG Plat / Hilton Gold
Flying YYZ-MAD on Sept 21st... This should be fun
Old Sep 13, 11, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Black Hawk View Post
Just wondering if AC has to cancel flights practically how many days in advance does the airline have to notify affected passengers?
No one will know until T-0 if the f/a's will walk.
AC makes it's contigency plans, the union makes theirs.
People who are scared will make other arrangements. Neither side benefits.
Personally, I'm looking forward to any reroutes and compensation opportunities that may arise.
Old Sep 13, 11, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL DM. Marriott Plat. Hyatt DM.
Seriously people? This will have no material impact on the majority of domestic AC flights.

Heck we get a soda and pretzels in Y

And I don't have to have a beer and grilled chicken salad in J

Personally I think they should not be legislated back. Just let them sit out there for a loooooong time. These are tough economic times and AC cant turn a profit at the best of times.
Old Sep 13, 11, 7:36 pm
m.y

Programs: AC *E HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JPCAG View Post
Seriously people? This will have no material impact on the majority of domestic AC flights.

Heck we get a soda and pretzels in Y

And I don't have to have a beer and grilled chicken salad in J

Personally I think they should not be legislated back. Just let them sit out there for a loooooong time. These are tough economic times and AC cant turn a profit at the best of times.
F.As are there for more than just to serve you sodas and beer, they are there for safety reasons too, like assisting in evacuation, disarming the doors for arrival etc. Flights cannot leave without minimum number of flight attendants depending on the aircraft. So the strike will have major impact on flights.

Last edited by m.y; Sep 13, 11 at 7:42 pm

Search this Thread