Flight Attendant Strike as early as Sept 21

Old Sep 17, 11, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ailiton View Post
I'm flying to HKG on Sept 21. Don't know if I should purchase "On My Way"... still have about 16 hours to think about.
Is "On My Way" valid during interruptions or cancellations caused by a labour dispute?
Old Sep 17, 11, 11:38 am

does anyone know if the AC Jazz flights to New Orleans (Sept 28) will be affected, I can't get a response from emails, phone, etc to AC (naturally) Should I just show up at the airport and hope for the best??? thanks for the help!!
Old Sep 17, 11, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Originally Posted by sharonline View Post
does anyone know if the AC Jazz flights to New Orleans (Sept 28) will be affected, I can't get a response from emails, phone, etc to AC (naturally) Should I just show up at the airport and hope for the best??? thanks for the help!!
Jazz is a contract company and all its unions have renewed their contracts so they should keep flying without interruption. Crossing a picket line might be an issue with some, but its FAs are Teamsters not CUPE.
Old Sep 17, 11, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
It looks like temp FAs are trained and ready to go..

I think AC is well prepared ahead of time to avoid trip interruptions..
In such situations the priority of the airline is to get its long haul international flights out even if it means a modified inflight service, then its major transcons. It will be short hauls (not operated by AC Regional/Jazz) that will be cut back.
Old Sep 17, 11, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Black Hawk View Post
Hello folks, Any idea how AC would re-route PVG bound passengers in case of any distruption to FLT AC 25?

Your feed back is much appreciated!

This would be a priority flight so not likely to be grounded. Depending upon loads, AC could consolidate the PEK/PVG flights but both are likely to be heavily booked and make that unlikely. As posted above, long haul international flights will have priority over all others since they generated more revenue and profits than short haul domestic. However, given both UA and CO fly from PVG, if AC had to cancel a flight on this route, they'd protect customers on those and other STAR carriers. (I'm on UA's SFO-PVG-SFO next week, and the YYZ-SFO-YYZ connections so expect the empty seats to be filled by diverted AC passengers who are panicking and rebooking.)
Old Sep 17, 11, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rottentomato View Post
Oh crap. I'm doing PDX-YVR-PEK on Sep 24.

Now I'm beginning to wonder why I chose AC instead of CA, or, anyone else..
Because the AC fare was the cheapest?
Old Sep 17, 11, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by rehoult View Post
The BA strikes over the past 2 years have provided a pile of documentation for airlines on how to handle a strike. BA ran a full LH schedule during the last strike and very close to a full SH one, and their network size is massive compared with AC.

What seemed to be the key driver of success was that management/ground crew loved the idea of being an FA for a while. They got to see cities around the world for free, but go back to their day jobs before it become monotonous. So they worked their tails off for the few weeks they flew. Additionally, pax were more willing to forgive the temporary crews when they made a mistake as it was well know that they were doing it for the first time.

The major difference I'm seeing so far (and its a biggie) is that BA came out well in advance and loudly said "WE WILL STILL FLY TO ALL DESTINATIONS, NO MATTER WHAT", which kept many of their passengers loyal and calm. AC on the other hand has merely said "We'll comment closer to the strike", and that's not good enough to convince people its safe to book with you, especially if they 'must' get to their destination.
Same over with Lufthansa and their pilot strike.. they had rearranged and reaccomodated all of their passengers way ahead of the strike and when it did happen, disruption was minimal.

Even with BA when I happened to fly in the middle of the strike, it has hardly noticeable with 'temp' FA on board. The only difference was somehow the catering was affected and we were offered one choice of meal and that's it. I still don't understand how ground catering was affected by cabin crew shortages... and from other stations other than LHR !!

Originally Posted by fin 645 View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2169623/

It will be an interesting few days.

My next AC flight is booked for Nov 22!!
I would hope that the situation would have been resolved by Nov 22 !!
Old Sep 17, 11, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aeroplan does free rebooking

My wife happens to have an Aeroplan ticket to South America on Sept. 21.

Since there was inventory available in business on United, and Aeroplan has waived the change fee, I did switch her to United. Added benefit: they'll refund $300 in "taxes."
Old Sep 17, 11, 12:28 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
My wife happens to have an Aeroplan ticket to South America on Sept. 21.

Since there was inventory available in business on United, and Aeroplan has waived the change fee, I did switch her to United. Added benefit: they'll refund $300 in "taxes."
congrats, that seems to be the best news coming out from this possible disruption
Old Sep 17, 11, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
The only difference was somehow the catering was affected and we were offered one choice of meal and that's it. I still don't understand how ground catering was affected by cabin crew shortages... and from other stations other than LHR !!
The replacement FAs on BA were not checked out on the on-board ovens. On many routes it resulted in catering having to load only cold options. So lots of people in CW ended up with deli platters, smoked salmon and fruit salad.

By offering nothing except the legally mandated training, BA was able to train a huge number of temp FAs in very little time. IIRC they were running people through a 3-4 day course. The plan was to then go back and start training service once 'basic' training was complete. I'm not sure if it ever got there before the strike ended.
Old Sep 17, 11, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC S100K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
This would be a priority flight so not likely to be grounded. Depending upon loads, AC could consolidate the PEK/PVG flights but both are likely to be heavily booked and make that unlikely. As posted above, long haul international flights will have priority over all others since they generated more revenue and profits than short haul domestic.
For AC 33 (YYZ YVR SYD), would the YYZ YVR portion also receive the same treatment?
Old Sep 17, 11, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC QR WS*S
Originally Posted by yvr76 View Post
For AC 33 (YYZ YVR SYD), would the YYZ YVR portion also receive the same treatment?
I would think (and I hope for my own selfish reasons) so, if AC 33 is classed as a nonstop between YYZ and SYD.
Old Sep 17, 11, 2:29 pm

Jazz is a contract company and all its unions have renewed their contracts so they should keep flying without interruption. Crossing a picket line might be an issue with some, but its FAs are Teamsters not CUPE.
thankyou so much for the information! I'll be able to sleep tonight.
Old Sep 17, 11, 2:40 pm

Fingers crossed!

Thank you so much Shareholder! Will pass on the info to Mrs. Hawk. I'm sure it will make her feel much better.

If it was just me who's traveling I won't be worried at all!

The flight is almost fully booked now. It will be a big hassel to re-book some 200 people..... as long as the flight is not cancelled we won't mind any reasonable delay dueto the strike. Will make sure to bring lots of food onboard with us to entertain the 12 hr flight.

CheerS!

Black Hawk
Old Sep 17, 11, 3:01 pm

(I'm on UA's SFO-PVG-SFO next week, and the YYZ-SFO-YYZ connections so expect the empty seats to be filled by diverted AC passengers who are panicking and rebooking.)
I am on an AC flight next week and checked LH as an alternative; earlier today Z was available but now zeroed out during the week as of Wednesday (still available Sunday - Tuesday of next week) Don't know if that is LH being preemptive, or if others changed tickets before I chose to do so.

Search this Thread