Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight Attendant Strike as early as Sept 21

Flight Attendant Strike as early as Sept 21

Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:59 am

i guess i am looking like him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSjK2Oqrgic
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:28 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rottentomato
Oh crap. I'm doing PDX-YVR-PEK on Sep 24.

Now I'm beginning to wonder why I chose AC instead of CA, or, anyone else..
No chance of strike if you flew CA
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I find it hard to be sympathetic to either side when it comes to a strike. While there are likely legitimate grievances (possibly from both sides ), a strike seems so utterly counter productive.
I'm sure that both sides have legitimate issues: Union reps probably feel that the nickel and dime cuts in salaries and benefits and job security are not fair. AC probably feels like their cost structure in comparison to other NA carriers is too expensive and not sustainable.

It may be harsh, but I couldn't care less. I look for reliability in my carrier. Sure, the perks are nice (upgrades, IVE, etc...) but they don't mean squat if I don't know if my flight will be cancelled or not.

So, after this weekend, my flights are being booked on UA/CO/US metal.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: A3*G
Air Canada Comments on Flight Attendant Vote, Confirms Business as Usual

MONTREAL, Sept. 13, 2011 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada confirmed it is business as usual for the airline and that its customers can continue to book Air Canada flights with confidence, following the announcement today of voting results by the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) which gave union leadership a strike mandate if a tentative agreement is not reached. CUPE represents approximately 6,800 flight attendants employed by Air Canada.

Talks with CUPE, which resumed September 1, 2011 facilitated by a federally appointed mediator, are ongoing.

In the event an agreement is not reached with CUPE, the union must serve Air Canada with a minimum 72 hours notice if it intends to proceed with strike action. Should this occur, the airline would implement a partial schedule including codeshare flights operated by its partner airlines.

The airline will provide further updates as developments warrant.

For more information on Air Canada visit aircanada.com and follow @AirCanada on Twitter and Facebook.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/tra...r_updates.html
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by yyzsfoflyer
I'm sure that both sides have legitimate issues: Union reps probably feel that the nickel and dime cuts in salaries and benefits and job security are not fair. AC probably feels like their cost structure in comparison to other NA carriers is too expensive and not sustainable.

It may be harsh, but I couldn't care less. I look for reliability in my carrier. Sure, the perks are nice (upgrades, IVE, etc...) but they don't mean squat if I don't know if my flight will be cancelled or not.

So, after this weekend, my flights are being booked on UA/CO/US metal.
I agree with previouse comments, let the riding around and compensation begin. I personaly will start traveling with my passport and if I get routed thru the states on multiple flights and cash in on some miles and segments, lets do it! Westjet? lol!
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am driving this time.I had planned a 6 segment business trip that would involve travel on 21st. Not interested in another labor dispute.

Will enjoy the fall foliage as I drive
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
This is not good news for me.

I'm flying EWR-YYZ-YYT on Sat, 9/24 - does anyone have any idea whether my flights would be cancelled if a strike goes ahead? And, if so, is AC obligated to get me to my destination by any means necessary, even if it means booking me on another carrier (i.e., the nonstop EWR-YYT on CO/UA?)

Thanks for any insight.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
This is not good news for me.

I'm flying EWR-YYZ-YYT on Sat, 9/24 - does anyone have any idea whether my flights would be cancelled if a strike goes ahead? And, if so, is AC obligated to get me to my destination by any means necessary, even if it means booking me on another carrier (i.e., the nonstop EWR-YYT on CO/UA?)

Thanks for any insight.
I dont think you would have any issues there. AirCanada will probably dump alot on CO and UA from and to US destinations and those carriers will love the extra cash! If their is a EWR-YYT then your golden. If not EWR-YHZ on CO/UA, and YHZ-YYT with Jazz via YDF or YQX would be fun, CRJ and B19 haha
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
being a bottom feeder elite i won't be affected since my next flight is November, but just curious what the pecking order is if a flight gets cancelled, do passengers in J get priority over an SE?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by wwtsang
being a bottom feeder elite i won't be affected since my next flight is November, but just curious what the pecking order is if a flight gets cancelled, do passengers in J get priority over an SE?
Fare class before status I would assume, Executive/Lat/T+/T, and then status within those classes...
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hearna
Fare class before status I would assume, Executive/Lat/T+/T, and then status within those classes...
Any idea where an Elite, with a Lat flight pass, already upgraded on ecredits to J would stand?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by emma69
Any idea where an Elite, with a Lat flight pass, already upgraded on ecredits to J would stand?
You would be an elite in the Lat fare class... you answered your own question. Eupgrades mean nothing, all fare rules apply to your original fare class. Eupgrades is a privileage not a right!
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:57 pm

I can foresee their mainline would operate the major Canadian cities...... UA/CO for the transborder stuff and contracted Express for small hubs.......... as for international..... they already have codeshares with other carriers like SQ, LH, LX, SK, UA/CO, NZ etc....... probably a few more weird flight numbers here and there.............

if not they will most likely reprotect you to another carrier like AA, CX, WS ouch!
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by kraftdinner_
Or CBSA agents...
Hmmm...interesting overtime potential.

I have a couple of trips coming up in October. I hope this doesn't put a spanner in the works.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Hmmm...interesting overtime potential.

I have a couple of trips coming up in October. I hope this doesn't put a spanner in the works.
With the Harper government in power, Flight attendants will be back to work sy Sept 24th!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.