Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight Attendant Strike as early as Sept 21

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Attendant Strike as early as Sept 21

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
major interruption/disruptions caused by the FA strike would be an opinion I believe as well..
No, that's fact. I hope, however, that it won't come to that.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by getaround
It doesn't state that they have been trained at this point - "The employer is conducting replacement worker training in September," So has it happened? Did it take place? Numbers? None of that stated additionally the article is a week old also.
If the FA temp workers are inmaterial, then why is the FA so against it? If it is a red herring in discussions and negotiations, FAs seemed threatened by it.

I'm not here to argue about whether there is replacement FAs or not.. at the end of the day, all I care, as a passenger whether or not I'm getting from Point A to Point B in a timely fashion.

Per articles in this thread, I would recommend flyers get to the airport a little bit early for check-in..

But all of this.. sky is falling, is a bit much imo..
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Spounce
No, that's fact. I hope, however, that it won't come to that.
If its' fact.. I'd would be interested in a reference.. as I said, we all have our opinions, and I'm not too sure that I would put so much weight to interruptions just because FAs are threatening to strike..

In another thread, where OP was concerned whether their CUN trip would be disrupted, Andrew Yiu assured that there would be plenty of notice if a flight is cancelled, and alternative arrangements would be made at no charge if it comes to that..
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by getaround
It doesn't state that they have been trained at this point - "The employer is conducting replacement worker training in September," So has it happened? Did it take place? Numbers? None of that stated additionally the article is a week old also.
Yes, some replacements have been trained. The numbers we have been hearing, if accurate, would be insufficient to operate anything more than a skeleton schedule.

I haven't read all of the posts about your itin, but are you not able to book any alternate combination of flights to get LAX-YUL at all? Is AC not willing to re-route you on UA/US just in case? Which call centre are you dealing with?

For what it's worth, I still think that a settlement, even at the last minute, is more likely than a strike, but I understand that you'd prefer more peace of mind than my speculation can provide.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:45 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
If the FA temp workers are inmaterial, then why is the FA so against it? If it is a red herring in discussions and negotiations, FAs seemed threatened by it.

I'm not here to argue about whether there is replacement FAs or not.. at the end of the day, all I care, as a passenger whether or not I'm getting from Point A to Point B in a timely fashion.

Per articles in this thread, I would recommend flyers get to the airport a little bit early for check-in..

But all of this.. sky is falling, is a bit much imo..
If the fly isn't falling why does AC feel the need to have flexible ticket change policies and only be willing to state:

In the event of a work disruption, Air Canada will implement a partial schedule including codeshare flights operated by its partner airlines.
If they did have the army of workers you've stated they wouldn't be saying partial and highlighting that it is the codeshare flights that will in fact operate.

I think anyone holding tickets until the end of the week needs to be concerned and be ready for plan B. Saying that AC will operate anything close to a full schedule and that you might just want to get to the airport 10 minutes early is just not a fair assessment of reality.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
I think anyone holding tickets until the end of the week needs to be concerned and be ready for plan B. Saying that AC will operate anything close to a full schedule and that you might just want to get to the airport 10 minutes early is just not a fair assessment of reality.
I absolutely agree, and apparently others here do as well, as we have made back up plans.

I tend to hope for the best but plan for the worst, which I think is sensible in this case.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 4:03 am

I wish AC would announce the "partial schedule" as soon as possible. That would help lots of people to be prepared IF...

Yes, we all know that it is difficult to make such a schedule but at least they should tell us which flights have higher priorities, etc.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:42 am

Programs: AC QR WS*P
Originally Posted by mikimoto
I wish AC would announce the "partial schedule" as soon as possible. That would help lots of people to be prepared IF...
While that would help the passengers, it isn't in the best interests of AC:
  1. If they announce their partial schedule, there will be a tonne of people changing/canceling (if an option) their tickets if their flight happens to be one of the reduced one, then if there is no strike, they will have empty planes while people flew other airlines.
  2. If they don't release their schedule, some people change their tickets, some people don't. If there is a strike, AC will have make alternate arrangements anyway, if there is no strike, the people that waited to see what happened before planning alternatives keep the planes filled.

Without seeing the schedule, my YYZ-YHZ flight may or may not leave as scheduled on 21 September. If I found out my flight would not take off if a strike took place, I would get a new ticket on another carrier now, but not knowing if it will be or not (or if there is actually going to be a strike or not), I can hold out and make a last minute rebooking if need be, worst case scenario, I am stuck in YYZ for a day or two, there are certainly worse places to be be stuck in September.

My very simple, unscientific, and completely wrong reasoning is:
  • There is a 50/50 chance there will be a strike (either there will or there wont)
  • IF there is a strike, there is a 50/50 chance my flight will not be cut, and I will be on my flight, or at a minimum, one the same day.
  • 50% x 50% = 25% chance that I will not get home on the day I choose, as was mentioned in another thread, that is beter than my chances of making CA902 from ULN-PEK, and I risk that every three months.
Currently We don't have any reason to give either scenarrio any better/worse odds than 50%, because all we know is it's either going to happen or it's not.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
All of these discussions are based on the assumption that a full blown strike is CUPE's only tactic. An article in the Globe some weeks ago hinted that CUPE might (at least at the start) try other tactics like have rotating strikes at different stations, or work to rule, or boycott certain flights. All of which makes it more difficult for Air Canada to respond and keeps the pressure on.

The problem with a strike is the union knows they will be legislated back to work in a couple of days. There objective is to keep the pressure on the company for as long as possible. Remember the postal workers had rotating strikes until the employer locked them out. So what we could be faced with is on Wed none of the flight attendants show up in Vancouver and on Thursday in Toronto. This would make it even more difficult for AC to have its replacement FA stationed in the right places.

Is the sky falling? I don't know but as I have to be in Paris on Friday I have made alternate plans and am, currently eating the cost of my discounted biz ticket on AC as rescheduling does nothing for me and they will not give me credit for cancelling.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Driver's Edge
I was told that the number of replacement trained is 300, which won't go to far. The Federal Minister was also knocking AC and union heads together over the weekends, telling them to get together and straighten it out or the gov't would intervene. The reason being that the economy is not strong, and this would be a bad disruption.

It doesn't appear that a strike would last more than 2-3 days. It will be interesting to see how the replacements will be deployed. ie. What routes to protect first.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:42 am

Best guess, including what I was told by AC call centre is that the long hall overseas flights will be the first priority as they are the ones that make the most money for AC.

However, if the 300 number is right (which it may not be especially if some cross the line (although with a 98% strike vote that seems unlikely)),

and if my math is right (which it is often not) if AC is required to have one FA for every 40 pax, and if one assumes 250 seats on average in a heavy jet in the fleet that allows AC to cover a total of 48 flights. Now assume that they will have to deadhead over half of them for return flights that makes the total number of flights they can cover to be around 24 for the first day.

Does this sound right?

Those who have a more detailed knowledge of the timetable might be able to give an educated guess as to which flights will go. I would have thought some or all of the YYZ LHR are safe but perhaps not YYZ FRA as some can be accomodated on LF flights.

Last edited by MQS007; Sep 19, 2011 at 10:50 am Reason: Additional thought
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:52 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by MQS007
Is the sky falling? I don't know but as I have to be in Paris on Friday I have made alternate plans and am, currently eating the cost of my discounted biz ticket on AC as rescheduling does nothing for me and they will not give me credit for cancelling.
Your ticket is refundable less $400.00 penalty. OR if the flight is actually cancelled due to the labour issue you will get a full refund.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by ABG
Your ticket is refundable less $400.00 penalty. OR if the flight is actually cancelled due to the labour issue you will get a full refund.
But here is the problem - if a refund is issued, a replacement ticket may be higher.

If the crews walk out, then flights may cancel and the remaining value in your case $16xx plus taxes would be refunded.

What we do know at this time is: the walk out may occur at 1201am on Wednesday September 21, rebooking within 6 days, all change fees waived, full refund, travel completed by December 9, 2011.

You may want to hold space on another flight, so you will have a return if Air Canada is not operating. If Air Canada does not protect you on this flight, then a Lufthansa business class ticket for $57xx could be issued or coach for $44xx and a refund requested from Air Canada if and when the walk out occurs
So the net loss is still almost $3000 if I am proactive and exchange my business class ticket for an economy ticket on another carrier.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:18 am

My problem is just that I cannot replace my discounted biz ticket for less money. I want to keep the return (as I assume the strike will be over by then) but want to guarantee my outbound so I am left buying a full fair one way out, eating the outbound portion of my reduced biz and hopefully using the return portion.

The best I can do is hold the full fair ticket for Air France in one hand and if the AC flight goes cash the AF ticket back in and if the AC flight cancels ask for money back later but I am affraid that if I do that and don't use the outbound they will cancel the return. But AF leaves at 6:45 out of T3 and AC at 7:20 from T1.

Any ideas?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Talks today at 4pm

I'm not able to change my flight to FRA this Thursday to an earlier flight due to work obligations and I am also currently waitlisted for J so I am just keeping my fingers crossed. Can't fly later (who can push their vacation plans ahead or even work travel plans?) and just hoping they keep this flight running even with a strike. If it is canceled it looks like the LH flight that day is all sold out; wouldn't even want to be switched to it because I have a T+ ticket and waitlisted to J and then I would just be seated in Y on LH.

Of note, phoned in just now to grab a seat in row 18 as I couldn't do it online due to waitlisting - Y priority seating is opening up without J seats being assigned - people are obviously switching flights or canceling - AC lady mentioned talks regarding the FAs will be occurring today at 4pm, likely Toronto time I think.

oh shoot forgot row 18 reduced legroom, crap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.