Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada 24 hours cancellation/Changes

Air Canada 24 hours cancellation/Changes

Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
There is no such law in Canada.
I think for clarity we should confirm there is no law that allows for free cancellations. I assume AP has some hope to get around people who used their site and are US residents.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Quick question - I don't see anything in the fine print for Air Canada but I believe it's like this with WestJet - I may have to fly to Montreal and then back to Toronto today for a quick meeting. I won't know for sure for another couple of hours. I wanted to book the flight and check-in. If I book today for a flight today and then un-check myself does the 24 hour cancellation apply? Or do they have some limit on days prior to the flight like WestJet does? Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
So far as I know, its the same limitation for all the NA carriers.

But: don't care about the meeting more than your bosses! If they can't make up their mind until T-16, its sweet sweet AQD on OPM.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by RangerNS
So far as I know, its the same limitation for all the NA carriers.

But: don't care about the meeting more than your bosses! If they can't make up their mind until T-16, its sweet sweet AQD on OPM.
Unless the flight is zeroed our in all (acceptable to management) classes. I had a trip cancelled due to cost and a lack of economy seats. Then they booked it later as a 7-8h connection instead of a 4h non-stop.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by BarrieTravelGuy
Quick question - I don't see anything in the fine print for Air Canada but I believe it's like this with WestJet - I may have to fly to Montreal and then back to Toronto today for a quick meeting. I won't know for sure for another couple of hours. I wanted to book the flight and check-in. If I book today for a flight today and then un-check myself does the 24 hour cancellation apply? Or do they have some limit on days prior to the flight like WestJet does? Thanks!
You can check-out and refund no problem.

Only thing you want to be careful of is trying to do this too close to departure. Like for FPs, you may get a lenient agent that just refunds, but I wouldn't play with fire in the last two hours.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've never had an issue doing that. In fact, as long as you cancel before check-in closes, you can offload yourself (go back to OLCI and check the box for "not traveling") and then refund it online.

If you miss the check-in cutoff, you'll likely need to call.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:20 pm
vji

Any update on this due to their new rules?

I booked a flight before the new rules came into place and cancelled the flight within 24 hours (using their online tool, which allows you to cancel the flight but not refund the miles). However they are looking to charge me the cancellation fee even though their new rules say they do not anymore. I tried calling but each airline agent says that the new rule only applies to tickets booked on or after 7/15. Are they right on this or should they have been allowing refunds for tickets cancelled before that date (but within 24 hours of booking)? Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vji
Any update on this due to their new rules?

I booked a flight before the new rules came into place and cancelled the flight within 24 hours (using their online tool, which allows you to cancel the flight but not refund the miles). However they are looking to charge me the cancellation fee even though their new rules say they do not anymore. I tried calling but each airline agent says that the new rule only applies to tickets booked on or after 7/15. Are they right on this or should they have been allowing refunds for tickets cancelled before that date (but within 24 hours of booking)? Thanks!
I'm having a tough time following your question.

First, I presume you're talking about an aeroplan flight reward booking, correct? We should also note that Aeroplan uses the words "cancel" and "refund" to mean very different things (defintions here: https://kbr-aimia.kb.net/Article/Index/12/6?id=3060) so I'm going to use their terminology.

I think your scenario is that you booked a flight before 7/15, and then cancelled that booking within 24 hours. Which, unless you booked the flight on 7/14, would also mean that you cancelled it before 7/15. Therefore, the old rules would apply.

However, and as noted, Aeroplan treats cancellation as a different thing than a refund - and so I think you are asking if you can now get a refund for a booking that was previously cancelled - and whether that refund is now free.

Once you carefully distinguish between "cancel" and "refund", the Aeroplan announcement (here: https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/n...285_2019_07_15) seems reasonable clear:
  • "Beginning July 15, 2019, Aeroplan members will be able to cancel and refund Flight Rewards for free within 24 hours of booking." Obviously that doesn't apply to you now, as you're now significantly past 24 hours of booking.
  • "As of July 15, 2019, Aeroplan members can cancel and refund their Flight Reward booking for a fee". There is still a refund fee.
  • "As of July 15, 2019, Aeroplan will lower the Refund Fee to $125 for refunds completed via aeroplan.com". The refund fee is $125.
  • "Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members will (...) no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings." So if you're super elite, then there's no refund fee, otherwise it's $125
canadiancow and 24left like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Based on the subject line and a post on page 1 from 2011, this thread is about Air Canada cancellations or changes (or was).

There is also this new thread about Aeroplan changes

2019 Aeroplan Reward Changes - one stop / open jaw

To make things easier going forward, perhaps we need 2 distinctly or clearly titled threads, one for Air Cnaada tickets and one for Aeroplan tickets.
flyquiet and DNAwizard like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Maybe this is not the place to post this but last night I booked a flight on Air Canada for $2400 seeing that their website says we can cancel with a full refund within 24 hours. This morning I decided the flight was not going to work and I cancelled and only was refunded $169.
When I look again at the website it has a button "Find out more" and under that it says some flights are not eligible for being refunded.
I really thought Air Canada had introduced a 24 hour refund like United.
Am I just screwed?
Old Dec 2, 2021, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by passenger66
Maybe this is not the place to post this but last night I booked a flight on Air Canada for $2400 seeing that their website says we can cancel with a full refund within 24 hours. This morning I decided the flight was not going to work and I cancelled and only was refunded $169.
When I look again at the website it has a button "Find out more" and under that it says some flights are not eligible for being refunded.
Am I just screwed?

@passenger66
I'm not sure this is the right thread but the mods will move the posts if not.

You didn't provide enough information here. What was the routing, which fare did you buy. I recently bought and cancelled tickets within the 24hours time frame. Did you look at the detailed cancellation rules that applied to your fare?

AC has this page for their refund and cancellation policy

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-refund.html#/

And at the bottom is the 24 hour refutability note. You might want to call AC directly.

24 hours refundability:

If you cancel your booking within 24 hours of purchase, we will refund the value of your ticket or simply cancel the payment transaction.

When purchasing fares, they have charts on these pages. This is the main Fare options page https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...nd-fees.html#/

There are links for fares within Canada, to the U.S., International and so on.

You would see info like this

Also, when booking the ticket, the fare rules and conditions can be found on the summary pages before payment if you click the fare you selected.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by passenger66
Am I just screwed?
Where is your point of sale and/or origin/destination? USA purchases must be refundable within 24hrs if you buy at least 7 days before departure. This is why you want to use a travel agent for expensive tickets like this, not only can we hold them for 24hrs, assuming the fare isn't pulled, but we can also void the ticket by midnight the following day, or even by midnight on Monday if the ticket is bought on Friday.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I thought if they say "Cancel within 24 hours of purchase without penalty. You will receive a full refund if you change your mind." then that's what it means. Like on United.
The fare was Economy Standard: YOW(A)-YVR(A)-SYD(A)-AKL , Economy Standard: AKL(Q)-SYD(T)-YVR(T)-YOW .
I think I've just totally screwed up by not pushing the "Find out more" button. But I just can't believe they said the above and it doesn't apply to everything.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: AC 75K
Sounds like an IT issue to me - have you called? I don't believe there is any fine print relating to the ability to refund within the first 24 hours.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Sounds like an IT issue to me - have you called? I don't believe there is any fine print relating to the ability to refund within the first 24 hours.
Just above, I posted the fine print and the link to the AC page, along with other questions and info from AC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.