Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Business Class - long distance into Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:59 pm
RDP
Original Poster

Programs: MPC Silver, and other baseline accounts.

From Canada what flight could I take on AC Metal in the new business class that would get me to the furthest point east in Europe? Many thanks!

I am planning a RTW in Y, but would like to use my eUpgrades for the AC portions.

On a *A Y RTW can I use eUpgrades in the fare class?

Robert
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Rome is the furthest east you can go if you want to try upgrading to proper business class. AC also flies to Athens but they don't have lie-flat seats - it is like domesatic J and no AVOD - to be avoided.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC*E50
YYZ-TLV 5,782 miles
YYZ-ATH 5,056 miles (not in pods)
YYZ-FCO 4,407 miles
YYZ-VIE 4,321 miles (not AC metal)
YYZ-ZRH 4,038 miles

Rome looks like your best bet.

For RTW ticket, are you talking a reward booking or a Star Alliance ticket? If rewards then no go, if it's a revenue ticket then it depends on the fare code that AC uses to issue the economy ticket. Did a quick look and couldn't find any indication of what fare class AC uses.

Last edited by FrequentFlyerYYZ; Jul 28, 2011 at 8:31 pm
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
YYZ-TLV 5,782 miles
YYZ-VIE 4,321 miles
YYZ-TLV is not considered "Europe" for normal redemption purposes - not sure about mini RTW.
YYZ-VIE is served by OS not AC
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by The Lev
YYZ-TLV is not considered "Europe" for normal redemption purposes - not sure about mini RTW.
YYZ-VIE is served by OS not AC
Good catch on VIE.

For *A RTW the Middle East is grouped in with Europe as part of TC2, so shouldn't be a problem to route though TLV. Can backtrack into Europe if desired as long as you only leave the zone once.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:27 am
RDP
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input. To clarify:

Not award travel. I am looking at an ex-NRT YRWSTAR1. If I can use my ecredits to upgrade then will probably take it in Y. If credit's cannot be used I will take a CRWSTAR1.

It's a toss up. If I take Y I can use my credits (which I have not touched yet this year). If I take C I can earn my status miles at 125% to help ease requalification but then loose the chance to use my credits.

Unless a long time FT'er would like me to nominate then this year and then they scratch my back next year then I should probably take Y and try to upgrade. I use my credits and put a good chunk of mileage towards Elite for 2012.

I am looking hard at the SQ Metal only F RTW, but not sure if it really makes sense to me at this moment. I would not burn my ecredits and I would have to travel on seperate ticket from SFO to JFK.

RDP
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: AC*E, Accor Platinum, Hilton Silver
One other option is YYZ-MUC. It's 4,126.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
YYZ-TLV is a great flight IMO (small J cabin, long enough to get some decent sleep, better food than on other flights to Europe)

Other reasonably long flights would be YVR-LHR and YYC-FRA.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
YYZ-TLV 5,782 miles
YYZ-ATH 5,056 miles (not in pods)
YYZ-FCO 4,407 miles
YYZ-VIE 4,321 miles (not AC metal)
YYZ-ZRH 4,038 miles

Rome looks like your best bet.

For RTW ticket, are you talking a reward booking or a Star Alliance ticket? If rewards then no go, if it's a revenue ticket then it depends on the fare code that AC uses to issue the economy ticket. Did a quick look and couldn't find any indication of what fare class AC uses.
The YRWSTAR RTW fares book into H class on most star carriers.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 6:56 pm
RDP
Original Poster

Thanks for the H fare class information. I can earn status miles, and burn ecredits at the Tango+ rate.

RDP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.