Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

US to stop collecting some airport taxes starting tonight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Came across this thread on Delta...... I wonder how it will apply to us (AC and AP tickets). Should we all call for a refund?!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-article.html
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Interesting indeed... But I doubt you can get a refund...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: AC.SE
What would happen if you just asked for the ticket to be reissued?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Can we also exclude the Navcan charges ?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Came across this thread on Delta...... I wonder how it will apply to us (AC and AP tickets). Should we all call for a refund?!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-article.html
The authorization bill was in effect until midnight last night, so any tickets purchased up until that point would have required the US excise taxes, etc. be charged. Beginning at 12:01, when the bill expired, there was no authorization for the airlines to collect these taxes on behalf of the FAA, so was no longer necessary on tickets beginning at that point.

Definitely no justification for a refund if you bought a ticket before then. Haven't checked AC, but what might happen is your US portion of taxes affected by the bill on an itinerary to/from the US are no longer collected by AC. UA is definitely not charging these taxes at the moment. US, on the other hand, while not charging these taxes anymore, did institute a fare hike to compensate, so that total fares (including taxes) basically didn't change, however, the portion that would have been collected on behalf of the US government/FAA went to themselves instead. A little disingenuous, I think, since they are likely not going to rescind these increases when the taxes come back (though they may rescind it based on the fact that other carriers don't seem to be following suit).
Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

sounds complicated enough............. then further complicated by whether carriers wanted to comply or not............. i believe Virgin America asked people to file a refund from IRS? LOL............. Great way to wake up the sleeping giant for $15!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
I bought a SEA-YYC ticket today - looks like both AC and AS aren't charging the Int'l departure tax or anything other than airport fee and NavCan. Score for me! (ETA - also noticed the 2.50 9/11 fee)

Last edited by billybob123; Jul 23, 2011 at 6:37 pm
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
What's the savings typically?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
What's the savings typically?
about $32 on international tickets to/fr the US
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by highflyer88
about $32 on international tickets to/fr the US
Thanks.. appreciate the accurate feedback..

I guess the time to burn US FF miles is now while the loophole is still there..
Old Jul 24, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC 1MM/SE 100K, MR Lifetime Premiere Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just called AC to refund a 2pax non-refundable ticket (without penalty) and re-booked it... I argued since it had only been 3 days, and the exact same base fare was available, AC wasn't really "losing" anything by letting me to the refund (unlike a case when the base fare goes down, in which case they're personally losing money). So she got approval from her manager to do it.

So I'm not suggesting everyone storm the SE/E line with refund requests for a ticket you bought 5 months ago at a different fare, but if it's been a couple of days and you're outside the 24-hour window, give it a shot.

--
Best regards,
Alex Ionescu
Old Jul 24, 2011, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aionesu
Just called AC to refund a 2pax non-refundable ticket (without penalty) and re-booked it... I argued since it had only been 3 days, and the exact same base fare was available, AC wasn't really "losing" anything by letting me to the refund (unlike a case when the base fare goes down, in which case they're personally losing money). So she got approval from her manager to do it.

So I'm not suggesting everyone storm the SE/E line with refund requests for a ticket you bought 5 months ago at a different fare, but if it's been a couple of days and you're outside the 24-hour window, give it a shot.

--
Best regards,
Alex Ionescu
Honestly.., for $32 per ticket.. if they refuse the refund.. I wouldn't sweat it..

But good if it works.^
Old Jul 24, 2011, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if AC is doing anything, but most US majors, as of yesterday afternoon/evening raised their base fares to the equivalent amount the taxes would have been - essentially meaning the end price to consumers is now the same as it was on Friday night - just the $ that would have gone to the government are going to the carriers. US started immediately - think UA did this sometime yesterday afternoon or evening. Holdouts now are Virgin, Alaska, Frontier and Spirit (if Spirit even counts).
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Not sure if AC is doing anything, but most US majors, as of yesterday afternoon/evening raised their base fares to the equivalent amount the taxes would have been - essentially meaning the end price to consumers is now the same as it was on Friday night - just the $ that would have gone to the government are going to the carriers. US started immediately - think UA did this sometime yesterday afternoon or evening. Holdouts now are Virgin, Alaska, Frontier and Spirit (if Spirit even counts).
Perhaps the majors are thinking that if collection resumes, retroactive fees not collected would be demanded by the government..

Perhaps a retroactive contract to collect fees are in the works.. or the possibility of..
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Perhaps the majors are thinking that if collection resumes, retroactive fees not collected would be demanded by the government..

Perhaps a retroactive contract to collect fees are in the works.. or the possibility of..
Certainly possible, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with it - likely they thought of it more to match the fare raise. US never had the lower prices, not sure about AA, but they matched pretty early on. DL and UA matched sometime later on Saturday - I actually bought a UA ticket Sat. morning at $70 discount to Friday night or what it is now. Think WN had their prices raised early as well. So seems like a full on fare increase now - pretty much - and my mind is doubtful that fares will lower again when the taxes come back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.