Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerryhung
New List of Mini-RTW 2.0 version after Oct 29th, 2014 "enhancement" (i.e. less MPM)

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement&quot

INTRO

This wiki is taken from the excellent overview in the first post of this thread by FrequentFlyer9000 and is meant as a guide to the Aeroplan "Mini-RTW" for the uninformed newbie flyer. This is a no judgment zone and newbies are welcome. In this thread, the usage of scary acronyms and complicated FlyerTalk insider-speak will be minimized.

Also, this wiki is a work in progress so please provide feedback or make wiki edits if you think something warrants it.

INFO & COMMON QUESTIONS

What is the "Mini-RTW"?

The Mini-RTW is a name given to a type of reward booking using Air Canada's Aeroplan miles. It is actually not a "round-the-world" ticket at all - it is a regular award redemption. Just as you would use 75K frequent flyer miles to go to Japan on another airline, you can use 75K to do so using Aeroplan miles. The difference is that Aeroplan allows you to "stopover" in multiple cities at no extra mileage cost, making it very attractive compared to other reward travel. It should be noted that this isn't really that much better than some other airlines. For example, Delta offers one stopover + open jaw, which is only one stopover worse than Aeroplan's deal. But many of the airlines only offer one stopover and no open jaw. So there is definitely value here.

In addition to your final destination (in which you can stay for days/weeks/months), you are allowed:

•Two stopovers in other cities (stay for days/weeks/months). You are allowed to trade one of these stopovers for an open jaw (where you land in one city, but take the next flight out of another city)
•10 segments (layovers during which you spend less than 24 hours in a given city) <-- this limit may be gone as of 2014/2015

So, disregarding the additional 10 segments, an award trip for Japan could actually look like this:

NYC > Tokyo (destination - one week) > Paris (stopover - one week) > London (stopover - one week) > NYC

You basically get three times the world exploration for the price of one. If you add on the extra layovers allowed, you can turn it into:

NYC > Los Angeles (one day) > Hawaii (one day) > Tokyo (one week) > Seoul (one day) > Hong Kong (one day) > Paris (one week) > Munich (one day) > London (one week) > Washington DC (one day) > NYC

Of course, you don't have to do the above. Spending so much time in airports can be exhausting. But the option is there for you if you want it.

How many miles is this going to cost me?

See the Award Travel chart here.

From North America to "Asia 1" countries: (effective Jan 1, 2014)
•75K in Economy
•150K in Business
•210K in First

From North America to "Europe 1" countries:
•60K in Economy
•90K in Business
•125K in First

...and so on. Check the link for other combinations. Assuming you are stopping in three cities, the city in the most "expensive" redemption zone is the zone you will have to pay for. So if you are visiting two Asia1 zone cities and one Middle East city, you will pay 80K miles rather than 75K miles since that is what the Middle East trip costs (numbers assume Economy class travel).

Which miles do I need to use? Can I use miles from other Star Alliance airlines?

You need to use Aeroplan miles. You cannot use miles from other Star Alliance members, such as United, to book this mini-RTW. However, you can book flights for the mini-RTW on any airline that is in the alliance and has the desired award seating available. You technically do not have to fly any segments on Air Canada at all.

So, what's the catch? What are the restrictions?

There is no catch. However, there are some restrictions on your itinerary. This is where things get a bit more complicated.

Want to find the new MPM after 10/29/2014?
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM) - FlyerTalk Forums

This is no longer valid after 10/29/2014
1) Your itinerary must be within 5% of the total "Maximum Permitted Mileage" (MPM) for the route from the origin to the destination. Even though you are stopping in three cities by using your two stopovers and a final destination, you can define the destination as the stop city furthest away from the origin. Although certain flyers have gotten away with telling an inattentive phone rep that their final destination / "turnaround city" is one of their layover cities to increase their MPM, this does not always work. Sticking with one of your three stop cities is a safe bet.

MPM exist so that you cannot repeatedly fly around the world 10 times on your 10 segments. There is a limit to how many miles you can fly on the reward ticket. MPM guidelines can be found by using the KVS tool or by using Expert Flyer. MPM is calculated between your origin and your destination, one-way. The trips to and from your destination are calculated separately. You are allowed to overshoot this number by 5% ("MPM5"). If you can find a bookable itinerary online that has a mileage longer than the published MPM, this is a "published routing" and can be used even if it exceeds the MPM5. In KVS, navigate to the "Reference" tab, select "MPM" from the dropdown menu, and enter your city pair. MPM information is available under the Travel Information section of ExpertFlyer. It is available to all subscribers, Basic or Premium, and there is a 5-day free trial to ExpertFlyer.com that can be used.

To see if your itinerary fits your MPM limit, you can use the site here to see your total miles traveled: www.gcmap.com. Enter your airport codes separated by dashes to see the itinerary and get the total mileage (e.g. NYC - LHR - NYC). Example here.

TO READ MORE ABOUT MPM: Read this (short) document
2) If you do elect to use an open jaw instead of one of your stopovers, you must schedule the open jaw so that it is in the same "IATA zone" as either the origin or the destination city. So if you are going from NY to Japan to Europe and back to NY, the open jaw cannot be scheduled in Europe, since it is neither the origin zone or the destination zone. The open jaw also cannot be a larger distance than any two legs you are actually flying. In case you are wondering, IATA zones are as follows:

IATA 1 - The Americas (incl. Caribbean, Hawaii)
IATA 2 - Europe as far as the Ural Mountain range, Middle East & Africa
IATA 3 - Oceania, SE Asia, Far East, Sub-Continent.

Remember that if you use your open jaw at the turnaround/destination point, you will only have one stopover to use left. So you would be able to do NYC > Singapore (destination, open jaw) // Tokyo (stop) > NYC. This has one destination, one open jaw (at turnaround point), and one stopover. However, you would not be able to do this: NYC > Madrid (stop) > Singapore (destination, open jaw) // Tokyo (stop) > NYC. Because your 2 stops + 1 open jaw would be more than the two allowed.

3) You cannot land in the same city twice in any one direction. This means that on my way from NY to, let's say, Cairo, I cannot do New York > London > Paris > London > Cairo on the way there, since I would be stopping in London twice in one direction. However, I can stop in London on the way to Cairo and then again on the way back from Cairo.

4) The actual trip needs to be "bookable". It needs to follow certain rules. I won't get into too many details, but anything completely nonsensical in terms of routing is generally not going to fly. But most routes will not fall into this category. Just something to keep in mind.

Do I have to go in the same direction for every leg of the flight?

No. As an example, you can cross the Atlantic twice or cross both the Atlantic and the Pacific once (more like a real RTW trip).

How do I book this?

Assuming you have already planned out your entire itinerary to the dot and have made sure your trip is in accordance with the above restrictions, call Aeroplan and speak with a representative. Alternatively, you can try to book online for free. However, this is not always possible with more complicated routings.

What will this cost me in real cash? How can I minimize fees?
It depends on the region you travel to and which airline you fly on. In general, the more Air Canada segments you fly the more fees/taxes you will pay. Aeroplan does not collect surcharges on non-Air Canada-operated flights. So flying Air Canada internationally will cost you extra. If you use a lot of Air Canada flights in your mini-RTW, your fees could be anywhere from $150 to $400, even sometimes creeping up above $600. Lesson is to avoid AC "metal" (airplanes) if possible.

Every trip will have a $30 cost per person for booking on the phone, regardless of the itinerary.

What are the change fees if I want to change a leg or multiple legs of the trip later?

$90 for changes after original booking. If there is an involuntary change because of flight schedules changing, there is no fee charged. Note that when you make a change, the taxes/fees associated with fuel, etc. may change. They may decrease or increase depending on the previous flight and the new flight. This is independent of the $90 rebooking fee. The $90 is flat regardless of how many of the segments you change. It is not $90 per changed segment.

How do I plan this trip out? Even finding a simple award ticket can be difficult online, let alone one with 10 segments!

Good question. It is recommended that you use either the All-Nippon Airways (ANA) website (guide on how here), the KVS tool (costs money) or ExpertFlyer (costs money), or http://FliSea.com. I personally like to use KVS, but it is not newbie-friendly. It is $20 for 2 months for the "diamond" level service, and $75 for a year. Small price to pay for saving a lot of time, if you can handle the learning curve. ANA is a good free method of finding segments and many people have had plenty of success with it; FliSea is a metasearch tool that uses all of the sites above.

The trick is to do this one segment at a time. So first find NYC > LONDON for the date you want and make sure that the award class you are looking for is available (e.g. Economy low fare). Then do the next leg: LONDON > ROME. Repeat for every segment. Write down the details of each flight, calculate the mileage using the www.gcmap.com resource, and call up Aeroplan to book.

One of our Flyertalk members has built a database with all the Mini-RTW routes that have been flown in the various threads in one simple place: http://www.turnleftat.com/mini-rtw-list/
Print Wikipost

FAQ: The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by asur
Is there a way to get the agent to pick a specific city as the destination? I'm trying to book SFO - IAD - ADD (destination) - PVG - NRT (stopover) - PEK (stopover) - LAX - SFO, which I think should be valid but the agent said I was near double the mileage limit of 8k. SFO - ADD should have a mileage limit of 14409, but when I asked her to change the destination to ADD she said she couldn't, maybe not understanding what I meant. I can book a similar route, one stopover only, online so I assume I'm at least reasonably close to a valid route.

As a sidenote, is the mileage limit exact now or does it still have the 5% leeway?
Just phrase it so you're doing "2 stopovers on your return". No rule the destination has to be in the middle of stopovers or anything. HUCA.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Travel agent help

Hi all

I have been lurking on this forum for a bit. It still seems incredibly complicated - I could probably figure it out but it might take more hours than I have. I seem to remember a CBC or Globe and Mail article about a guy who specialized in booking these (for a small fee). But after some Googling I can't seem to find him.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Mike OWaterloo
Hi all

I have been lurking on this forum for a bit. It still seems incredibly complicated - I could probably figure it out but it might take more hours than I have. I seem to remember a CBC or Globe and Mail article about a guy who specialized in booking these (for a small fee). But after some Googling I can't seem to find him.

Any thoughts?
Check out ExpertFlyer.com
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:15 pm

Could you please help check the routing for my 1st reward redemption?

Hello

This is my first time trying to book award flights. Booking 3 business class tickets for travel in Jan/Feb 2019.

YYZ-TPE (EVA)
TPE-BKK (EVA) - stop 1
BKK-SIN (Singapore airlines)
SIN-ADL (Singapore airlines)
ADL-AKL (Economy) - stop 2
AKL-SYD(Economy) - Destination
SYD-SIN-TPE-YYZ (is this a valid routing)?

Do you see any problem of exceeding the MPM for any of the segments? Would ideally prefer Sydney-Vancouver-Toronto but there none available for Feb end 2019, have I left it too late for booking?

Open to other routing suggestions. I'm including Sydney just so I could include a stopover in Asia before spending 3 weeks in New Zealand.

Any help or feedback is highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:59 am

Hi all

Any thoughts?
There are several blogs that have this as an additional revenue stream, it would probably be $150usd per person at the very minimum, to construct a RTW type trip on your behalf. Years ago I did this part time but hours of time on the phone, searching for routes, and people without flexibility made it not worth it due to only receive a percentage of the fee.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by slaman
Check out ExpertFlyer.com
Thanks ... signed up!
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by moops380
There are several blogs that have this as an additional revenue stream, it would probably be $150usd per person at the very minimum, to construct a RTW type trip on your behalf. Years ago I did this part time but hours of time on the phone, searching for routes, and people without flexibility made it not worth it due to only receive a percentage of the fee.
I hunted around a bit ... but have decided to have a crack at it myself.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:04 pm

So I have a few questions that I didn't see explicitly covered in the FAQ (or maybe I didn't understand the explanation).

My understanding is the following, please correct me if I am wrong!

1) 1.05 * MPM is the maximum distance for the outbound leg and also for the return leg. These MPMs are based on the origin and destination (turnaround) cities.

2) In counting actual milage, great circle distances are used and apply only to segments with a stopover as opposed to a layover. So if flying
A -> B (layover < 24h)
B-> C (stopver )
C-> D (turnaround destination)
D -> E (layover < 24h)
E -> A
I would add the GC mileage as if I was flying A-C direct and add this to C-D. Together this must be less than 1.05 MPM
I would then do D-A GC as if direct and this must also be less than 1.05 MPM

3) Its based on city pairs not airports so if flying in to say HND and out from NRT in Tokyo and spending <24h this woould count as a layover?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:22 am

So I have a few questions that I didn't see explicitly covered in the FAQ (or maybe I didn't understand the explanation).

My understanding is the following, please correct me if I am wrong!

1) 1.05 * MPM is the maximum distance for the outbound leg and also for the return leg. These MPMs are based on the origin and destination (turnaround) cities.

2) In counting actual milage, great circle distances are used and apply only to segments with a stopover as opposed to a layover. So if flying
A -> B (layover < 24h)
B-> C (stopver )
C-> D (turnaround destination)
D -> E (layover < 24h)
E -> A
I would add the GC mileage as if I was flying A-C direct and add this to C-D. Together this must be less than 1.05 MPM
I would then do D-A GC as if direct and this must also be less than 1.05 MPM

3) Its based on city pairs not airports so if flying in to say HND and out from NRT in Tokyo and spending <24h this woould count as a layover?
1) 1.00 * MPM.

2) Every flight counts. Aeroplan uses their own distances. Does not 100% match with what's shown on GCmap

3) Yes.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:02 pm

I hunted around a bit ... but have decided to have a crack at it myself.
Good for you! At the start, I also found it to be an uphill battle, still do, but I'm starting to get the hang of it now. The people and advice on here are invaluable resources. Thanks to all who contribute!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
In April 2014, I did an mini RTE redemption with the following route:
yyz-NRT
NRT (via TPE) - CDG
CDG -YYZ

This was a valid routing at the time and I was able to make all segments in J.

Looking to book something similar this time (YYZ to NRT or HND to CDG to YYZ), but the site gives me an error that it is not a valid routing. Is it because of the October 29 changes? Can I get around this by having a stopover in TPE, which I prefer since I love flying EVA.

Also last year, i was able to fly into NRT and depart from HND (same city) this also doesn’t work for me this year. Did that also change recently?The fact that the site only allow you to book just 3 segments online makes it very difficult to validate routings.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
yyz-NRT
NRT (via TPE) - CDG
CDG -YYZ

Looking to book something similar this time (YYZ to NRT or HND to CDG to YYZ), but the site gives me an error that it is not a valid routing. Is it because of the October 29 changes? Can I get around this by having a stopover in TPE, which I prefer since I love flying EVA.

Also last year, i was able to fly into NRT and depart from HND (same city) this also doesn’t work for me this year. Did that also change recently?The fact that the site only allow you to book just 3 segments online makes it very difficult to validate routings.
The online system cannot handle NRT/HND. You can do it on the phone for a $34 fee.
Try doing just NRT or HND, that should validate
wysiwyg likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Thanks, seems that’s how I got around it last year.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:10 pm

You seem to have mpm issues since they moved to a single number. Taipei might not be far enough, if not, you'll need to fly to Singapore or Bangkok
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
yyz-NRT
NRT (via TPE) - CDG
CDG -YYZ

TPE is short on MPM
HKG is enough usually

I had to use HKG as my destination for many mRTW and TPE as my stop 2, while using Europe as stop 1 (PRG, AMS, NCE)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.