Credit Card Insurance coverage

Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Your Amex does NOT cover travel on an Aeroplan ticket. Since your travel involved an Aeroplan reward ticket, you are not covered.
Very clear that regular Amex does not. But I do not recall that we ever had direct evidence that the same is true for Aeroplan-branded ones. Fine print is exactly the same. Refers to covering only "rewards associated with the card program" or something like that.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Baggage is the responsibility of the last carrier on the trip so I personally would have no problem filing a claim when the second ticket was eligible for coverage.
Thanks. Global excel, who manages the claims for Amex, recommended I file an appeal claim via email with this information. I'll try that now and see what happens.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
If I booked 2 separate itineraries on different airlines, and the first flight is delayed, would I be covered by the insurance? I have the American Aeroplan Platinum and have claimed the flight delay insurance when weather has cancelled my flights, but was wondering about separate bookings.

For example:
YYZ-HKG on AC/CX
(2 hour layover)
HKG-SIN-CGK on SQ separate itinerary

or

YYZ-YVR-TPE (AC)
(3 hour connection on separate itinerary)
TPE-SIN/SGN/KUL
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Very clear that regular Amex does not. But I do not recall that we ever had direct evidence that the same is true for Aeroplan-branded ones. Fine print is exactly the same. Refers to covering only "rewards associated with the card program" or something like that.

If the ticket was redeemed using Amex's Membership Reward programme, it is covered. In fact, it's very clear that Aeroplan is NOT!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the ticket was redeemed using Amex's Membership Reward programme, it is covered. In fact, it's very clear that Aeroplan is NOT!
Is that for an Aeroplan-branded Amex? In which case that makes no sense whatsover: Aeroplan cards do not have access to the Amex Membership Reward program, but to Aeroplan instead. Actually it looks like no one bothered adapting the fine print...
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
If I booked 2 separate itineraries on different airlines, and the first flight is delayed, would I be covered by the insurance? I have the American Aeroplan Platinum and have claimed the flight delay insurance when weather has cancelled my flights, but was wondering about separate bookings.

For example:
YYZ-HKG on AC/CX
(2 hour layover)
HKG-SIN-CGK on SQ separate itinerary

or

YYZ-YVR-TPE (AC)
(3 hour connection on separate itinerary)
TPE-SIN/SGN/KUL
Travel insurance usually only covers your unexpected out of pocket expenses at YYZ and HKG under certain situations as specified in your policy. Usually the delay has to be at least 4 to 6 hours and there is a daily and trip maximum that one may claim. The Amex Aeroplan Platinum has limited coverage if you ended up having to buy a new ticket at HKG.

Last edited by Clipper801; Nov 4, 2018 at 6:36 pm
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
What kind of coverage? Flight Delay will cover your expenses while delayed, but will not cover making your own onward travel arrangements which would presumably be necessary on separate tickets.

Provided the trip is insured by the card, Trip Interruption on Amex Aeroplan Plat covers 'delay of a common carrier causing you to miss your connection' which can be a train, bus, flight or anything else as an insured risk and will reimburse onward travel (in Y only) up to $1,500. However, general exclusions item 2 in the policy specifically excludes "any reward tickets except those purchased through Membership Rewards". (https://www.insurance.americanexpres...ert-E-Se12.pdf page 21)
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Is that for an Aeroplan-branded Amex? In which case that makes no sense whatsover: Aeroplan cards do not have access to the Amex Membership Reward program, but to Aeroplan instead. Actually it looks like no one bothered adapting the fine print...
That's the coverage of the top of the range Amex Aeroplan Plus Reserve Card. So I cannot see the coverage for Aeroplan Plus Gold and Platinum to be any better.

Yes, it makes no sense and that's why I kept my CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Privilege which covers me when I fly on an Aeroplan ticket!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Travel insurance usually only covers your unexpected out of pocket expenses at YYZ and HKG under certain situations as specified in your policy. Usually the delay has to be at least 4 to 6 hours and there is a daily and trip maximum that one may claim. Travel insurance will not buy you a new ticket from HKG to CGK if you missed your connection. You are on your own. That's always one of the risks when buying two separate tickets.
There are many types of travel insurance. What you are referring to is commonly called 'Flight Delay' insurance, covering meals and accommodation not provided by the air carrier when a flight is delayed or a confirmed connection is missed.

'Trip Interruption' often covers mis-connection between two common carriers regardless of whether they are on one ticket. After all, you might find it very difficult to get a train, an international air ticket, and a ferry on one ticket, but any of those things could reasonably be delayed and result in trip interruption. The policies typically associated with Gold and Platinum Amex cards in Canada do cover this, and will reimburse the purchase of a new one-way ticket to the next stop or to return home up to the limit of the policy ($1,500 for Gold and Aeroplan Plat, $2,500 for Plat). This is of course provided that the trip itself is covered which means the entire cost has to be charged to the card.

Having the piece of mind of insurance coverage for separate tickets - which I've used several times successfully - saves me a lot of money and it's one of the main reasons I cough up $500 annually for an Amex Platinum.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
Thanks for the help Clipper801 and eigenvector. I guess I'll leave anywhere from a 7+ hour to 1 day just to be safe.

Travel insurance usually only covers your unexpected out of pocket expenses at YYZ and HKG under certain situations as specified in your policy. Usually the delay has to be at least 4 to 6 hours and there is a daily and trip maximum that one may claim. Travel insurance will not buy you a new ticket from HKG to CGK if you missed your connection. You are on your own. That's always one of the risks when buying two separate tickets.
What kind of coverage? Flight Delay will cover your expenses while delayed, but will not cover making your own onward travel arrangements which would presumably be necessary on separate tickets.

Provided the trip is insured by the card, Trip Interruption on Amex Aeroplan Plat covers 'delay of a common carrier causing you to miss your connection' which can be a train, bus, flight or anything else as an insured risk and will reimburse onward travel (in Y only) up to $1,500. However, general exclusions item 2 in the policy specifically excludes "any reward tickets except those purchased through Membership Rewards". (https://www.insurance.americanexpres...ert-E-Se12.pdf page 21)
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:34 pm

There are many types of travel insurance. What you are referring to is commonly called 'Flight Delay' insurance, covering meals and accommodation not provided by the air carrier when a flight is delayed or a confirmed connection is missed.

'Trip Interruption' often covers mis-connection between two common carriers regardless of whether they are on one ticket. After all, you might find it very difficult to get a train, an international air ticket, and a ferry on one ticket, but any of those things could reasonably be delayed and result in trip interruption. The policies typically associated with Gold and Platinum Amex cards in Canada do cover this, and will reimburse the purchase of a new one-way ticket to the next stop or to return home up to the limit of the policy ($1,500 for Gold and Aeroplan Plat, $2,500 for Plat). This is of course provided that the trip itself is covered which means the entire cost has to be charged to the card.

Having the piece of mind of insurance coverage for separate tickets - which I've used several times successfully - saves me a lot of money and it's one of the main reasons I cough up $500 annually for an Amex Platinum.
Yes, you are correct and thank you for clarifying. One needs to note that this protection does not extend to Aeroplan tickets. However, tickets redeemed using the Amex Membership Rewards points are covered.
I think the CIBC and TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite and Visa Infinite Privilege are the only credit cards that provide travel insurance coverage when flying on an Aeroplan redemption ticket.

Last edited by Clipper801; Nov 5, 2018 at 8:54 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
Thanks for the help Clipper801 and eigenvector. I guess I'll leave anywhere from a 7+ hour to 1 day just to be safe.
I have amended my original post. If these are not Aeroplan redemption tickets, you have some limited protections. However, there is a maximum that you may claim and that may not be sufficient to cover the total costs of having to buy a new ticket in case of a missed connection. Airlines will not be responsible if one is on two separate tickets.
Have a good trip!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by joburghfx
Thanks. Global excel, who manages the claims for Amex, recommended I file an appeal claim via email with this information. I'll try that now and see what happens.
Just wanted to come back here with an update on my situation. I had booked an aeroplan ticket for the first flight segment (ie. A-B), and then a second paid ticket to the final destination (ie. B-C). Interlined the bags when checking in at departure, so checked all the way to final destination (A-C). Had done this in the past and had a bag be delayed, and had received flight delay coverage from Amex with the regular Amex Gold card. Submitted a claim this time and was initially denied because the first segment was an Aeroplan ticket. Submitted an email appeal, and had the appeal granted within a few days and just received the cheque in the mail. Not sure if they made an exception for me, or if this is their standard interpretation of the insurance policy. But it would appear that if you pay for the second ticket in cash and check bags all the way through, and that airline is responsible for getting the bags to you, you may have coverage for baggage delay with Amex Gold or Amex Plat.
prmetime likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Sounds like the travel protection/insurance that comes with the BMO World Elite Mastercards covers trips even if the cost of the trip was only partially paid with the card.

Check the insurance policy (around section 4.3 page 25): https://www.bmo.com/pdf/airmiles-world-elite-en.pdf

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.