Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowance - Business Aeroplan Award First Leg in Economy

Baggage Allowance - Business Aeroplan Award First Leg in Economy

Old Jun 21, 11, 10:54 pm
  #1  
awd
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 86
Baggage Allowance - Business Aeroplan Award First Leg in Economy

I have a Business Class Aeroplan award ticket YVR - YOW - LHR, the first leg is Economy.

I believe that I get the business class baggage allowance. Can anyone confirm this ?

The first segment is on Friday, the following segment is on Sunday if that makes any difference
awd is offline  
Old Jun 21, 11, 11:21 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
Best to contact AC/AE and get the correct information..
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 10:26 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E50K
Posts: 994
You get J class baggage allowance.
Spot planes is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 10:50 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 20,765
Originally Posted by awd View Post
I have a Business Class Aeroplan award ticket YVR - YOW - LHR, the first leg is Economy.
Out of curiousity, did the Aeroplan ripoff fuel surcharge + taxes on this kind of itinerary cross $1000 yet?
rankourabu is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 8:53 pm
  #5  
awd
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 86
Thanks for the answer.

The full itinerary is YVR - YOW - LHR - GVA- YUL - YVR

The taxes and surcharges were $631 so a little way to go to get to $1000 yet

24JUN11YVR AC YOW R0.00AC LON R0.00LX GVA AC YMQ M0.00AC YVR
R0.00NUC0.00 END ROE1.007950 XT30.00YR35.00SQ440.00YQ37.70GB
36.90UB21.90CH
awd is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 9:02 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 92
Originally Posted by Spot planes View Post
You get J class baggage allowance.
We are in the same situation.

Business from YYT to YYZ (A/C)
Economy for 1 of us YYZ to ORD (United)
Business ORD to Seoul to SYD (Asiana)

Business HKG to Seoul to Chicago (Asiana)
Economy for 1 of us ORD to YOW (Jazz)
Economy for 1 of us YOW to YYT

This is a YYT to SYD Business Class redemption (100,000 points & just $200 each by the way).
Will we have to pay extra for baggage on any segments, since some are in economy right now & one leg of these is an American carrier?
glutenhab is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 9:46 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YYC - not the centre of the universe
Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Posts: 4,578
Originally Posted by glutenhab View Post
We are in the same situation.

Business from YYT to YYZ (A/C)
Economy for 1 of us YYZ to ORD (United)
Business ORD to Seoul to SYD (Asiana)

Business HKG to Seoul to Chicago (Asiana)
Economy for 1 of us ORD to YOW (Jazz)
Economy for 1 of us YOW to YYT

This is a YYT to SYD Business Class redemption (100,000 points & just $200 each by the way).
Will we have to pay extra for baggage on any segments, since some are in economy right now & one leg of these is an American carrier?
No, you most definitely won't, unless you are stopping somewhere for >24 hours, and then have to recheck starting on a Y leg.
jlisi984 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 10:06 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal and Dublin
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 2,674
Originally Posted by glutenhab View Post
We are in the same situation.

Business from YYT to YYZ (A/C)
Economy for 1 of us YYZ to ORD (United)
Business ORD to Seoul to SYD (Asiana)

Business HKG to Seoul to Chicago (Asiana)
Economy for 1 of us ORD to YOW (Jazz)
Economy for 1 of us YOW to YYT
This isn't the same situation because your first leg is in business both directions. The absolute minimum allowance you could get is the what the first airline you meet on your itinerary allows for your first flight. In both itineraries here the first flight is in business and has a generous allowance (I don't know Asiana's limit but it should be at least 30kg). Once they take your bag the other airlines don't really get a chance to charge you unless you collect your bags and check them in again at a later airport. Customs checks at Chicago (both ways) and YOW (two checks on the same trip, ugh) don't count as checking them in again.
zkzkz is offline  
Old Jun 22, 11, 10:19 pm
  #9  
PMM
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
Hi

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Out of curiousity, did the Aeroplan ripoff fuel surcharge + taxes on this kind of itinerary cross $1000 yet?
Much better for one way on the way back. CPH LH 2443 (waitlist J) MUC LH 474 First YUL J YVR Taxes Fees and Surcharges $102.20 Whereas YVR J AC180 YYZ J AC 934 FLL $98.56
PMM is offline  
Old Jun 23, 11, 12:21 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
Originally Posted by zkzkz View Post
This isn't the same situation because your first leg is in business both directions. The absolute minimum allowance you could get is the what the first airline you meet on your itinerary allows for your first flight. In both itineraries here the first flight is in business and has a generous allowance (I don't know Asiana's limit but it should be at least 30kg). Once they take your bag the other airlines don't really get a chance to charge you unless you collect your bags and check them in again at a later airport. Customs checks at Chicago (both ways) and YOW (two checks on the same trip, ugh) don't count as checking them in again.
+1..

First flight of departure and/or arrival.. you get business baggage allowance..

But if the first leg of the departure and/or arrival is not business.. but you redeemed on business.. you might end up getting the baggage allowance allowable on the first leg..

Again, phone the airline to double check..
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Jun 23, 11, 12:52 am
  #11  
awd
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
+1..

Again, phone the airline to double check..
That involves getting them to answer I was on hold for 30 minutes before I had to give up to do something else
awd is offline  
Old Jun 23, 11, 1:03 am
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
Originally Posted by awd View Post
That involves getting them to answer I was on hold for 30 minutes before I had to give up to do something else
Phone last hour of operations..

I usually get thru at most 10 or 15 minutes..

I think your ticket is an FF redemption.. you could also try FF phone number..
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Jun 23, 11, 1:51 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Programs: aeroplan
Posts: 280
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
Best to contact AC/AE and get the correct information..
If you can't answer the OP's question, let those who have personal experience of the issue respond, rather than making a comment like this of no value. (Same goes for lots of other threads.)
exbrit is offline  
Old Jun 23, 11, 3:14 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 92
On the outbound we have an overnight in ORD.
Would that make any difference baggage fees wise?
Our first flight the next day is Asiana Business, which I hear is quite good!
glutenhab is offline  
Old Jun 23, 11, 10:16 pm
  #15  
awd
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 86
When I tried to check in online today the system wanted to charge me for bags in addition to the Economy allowance.

Phoned Air Canada and they assured me that we do indeed get the Business allowance and that it would be OK when checking in at the airport
awd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread