Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Using funds in cancelled ticket for new booking during strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, Marriott Rewards, Tim Hortons

Any suggestions on who to call or how to do this with the call centres closed for the strike?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:45 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Airport ticketing or TA. Or I might suggest you purchase a new ticket and ask refund services to apply the credit less penalty due to the fact you could not access call centre.

Last edited by ABG; Jun 16, 2011 at 10:01 am
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:17 am

I got thru last night a little after midnight

wait time was about 75 minutes...

(but that was about the same pre-strike at that time night)
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by simba8
I got thru last night a little after midnight

wait time was about 75 minutes...

(but that was about the same pre-strike at that time night)
If its about the same..

then what is the difference with workers being on strike?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
If its about the same..

then what is the difference with workers being on strike?
Agents who actually know what they're doing?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
I'm surprised...well, not really surprised. Disappointed actually, that this is a continuing issue with AC. I'm sure software could be developed to allow on-line use of canceled ticket revenue for a new purchased ticket.

Now that the E-upgrade program is in place, it has now been proven AC I.T. has the ability to ADD points, assign an EXPIRY date to points and SUBTRACT points when applied to bookings.

So, please AC I.T....lets roll this out for canceled reservations. First, make this an OPTION for users.

Assume I book a reservation on April 15 in T+ for travel on July 1 2011. The total amount is $800.00 I then need to cancel this reservation prior to travel.

First, upon cancellation of a T+ fare, SUBTRACT the CHANGE FEE, in anticipation that I will be using the remaining amount. Then, SUBTRACT any taxes or fees etc etc that are not refundable. Let's assume this reduces the value of the canceled ticket to $500.00, with an EXPIRY date of April 15.

When booking another ticket, much the same way I can choose to use an e-upgrade, I could also have the option to APPLY an amount from my canceled tickets bucket to this new reservation.

WHO might use this feature? ME, for starters, Hundreds if not Thousands of Frequent Travelers whose schedules change at the drop of a hat.

WHAT benefit is this to AC? Simple. Fewer calls to the call centre

WHERE might this lead to? Hmm, improved efficiencies within the Reservations department? Improved efficiencies of Frequent Flyers who need to make many changes to flight reservations each year. Frequent Flyers who want membership with an airline that's going to make the ENTIRE booking procedure seamless and ON-LINE!

WHEN might frequent travels really find this beneficial? When we're half a world away, with only a few minutes to spare on a computer. Cheaper for the FF then calling long distance!

WHY would this benefit the customer? Ability to use WEB-BASED fares on the AC site that are not always available to book via the reservations agents.

and...
HOW would this be managed? Much the same way e-upgrades are managed.

We KNOW the math works for e-upgrades. AP is soon going to confirm it will work with AP point expiry. What's the reason for not implementing?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Santander
Agents who actually know what they're doing?
So the general experience during the strike was those who were on the phone, didn't have a clue how to deal with tickets and issues?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, Marriott Rewards, Tim Hortons
Got through this AM after about 25 minutes on hold

Agent was happy to be back to work and was truly ready to 'help'.

When I mentioned that the fare for one leg of the new itin had gone up from $279 to $344 because I could not rebook online and the call centres were closed, he offered to 'price match' and give me the lower fare.

As an aside, he mentioned that AC does have something in the works to allow customers to cancel and rebook online, but has been delayed a few time.

All in all, a VERY positive customer service experience; no bitterness at all following the job action.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BondGuy
Got through this AM after about 25 minutes on hold

Agent was happy to be back to work and was truly ready to 'help'.

When I mentioned that the fare for one leg of the new itin had gone up from $279 to $344 because I could not rebook online and the call centres were closed, he offered to 'price match' and give me the lower fare.

As an aside, he mentioned that AC does have something in the works to allow customers to cancel and rebook online, but has been delayed a few time.

All in all, a VERY positive customer service experience; no bitterness at all following the job action.
Great to hear that they price matched..

Good to see that the call centre attendants have latitude to right a situation..^
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
[QUOTE=BondGuy;16577388]
....As an aside, he mentioned that AC does have something in the works to allow customers to cancel and rebook online, but has been delayed a few time.

This is GREAT! I'll believe it when I see it though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.