Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time Flying J...Ever!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

First Time Flying J...Ever!

Hey, been reading FT for a while, have never posted anything yet but here goes...

In a few weeks I am scheduled to fly on AC YYZ-PEK...fortunately in J for the 13 hour flight

I've always been intrigued with airlines/air travel and have flown a fair share in Y but never had the chance to see what life is like on the other side of the curtain.

Would appreciate any advice on what to expect and how to make this experience the best possible one

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC MM
I fly long-haul J all the time.

Best advice I can give you is to eat a decent meal on the ground before you get on the plane, then, take advantage of the lie-flat bed to get some sleep.

The food on the aircraft is OK, but it takes forever for the staff to serve it on long flights... it's not uncommon for 2.5 hours to pass from the time the plane takes off until the meal service is finished.

In my opinion, the ability to get a decent sleep is the main benefit of J. So, skip the food and indulge in the sleep.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Congratulations!
AC's C is one of the best, so you won't be disappointed. (although the FAs are not as young and pretty as some other airlines... lol) My favourite part is the fully flat suite-style seats, much more private and comfortable than most other C arrangements.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c......-meals.html
This thread has pretty much what you need to know in terms of what food to expect. When I last flew AC TPAC a couple of weeks ago, the Cod was very popular; it was the first to go followed by the Roast Chicken. I had the tenderloin which wasn't spectacular to my taste but it certainly beats any Y meal I've ever had. And obviously you eat on real plates with metal cutlery. I can never finish everything they offer me in business class, some people can.

Where in the C cabin are you sitting? Some parts are a bit quieter than others although the entire cabin is much quieter than Y. Line-ups to use the lav are usually non-existent, and shouldn't get longer than a couple of people. There's a much higher FA/pax ratio so you will get much more personal attention (like the FA calling you by name) and you have a bit more control of your flight experience than in Y. Other than the seat itself, service is the main thing which differentiates C and Y.

Oh yeah, if you aren't elite, you should know that flying C pretty much entitles you to be "SE for a day". You will get priority check-in/boarding, MLL access and concierge service. Plus you deplane first at PEK so customs/immigration will be that much easier. Some would argue that you should try to eat/drink/take in as much as possible, but don't let that detract from a good sleep. The bed's the main reason why people pay to sit up front.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Max Power
I fly long-haul J all the time.

Best advice I can give you is to eat a decent meal on the ground before you get on the plane, then, take advantage of the lie-flat bed to get some sleep.

The food on the aircraft is OK, but it takes forever for the staff to serve it on long flights... it's not uncommon for 2.5 hours to pass from the time the plane takes off until the meal service is finished.

In my opinion, the ability to get a decent sleep is the main benefit of J. So, skip the food and indulge in the sleep.
+1

I seldom eat onboard, especially on AC.

I would eat if I don't want to sleep and if I'm flying an airline that provides good food. AC is not one of them.

I would even skip the meal on CX F YYZ-HKG if the flight departs at midnight.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA MP
This was from my previous post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post15626476

Enjoy J, this is how I do it after I get on a long flight:

1. Get a chaimpaign right away
2. Red wine before the meal
3. Another red wine with the meal
4. Port with desert
5. Whisky to finish it off. Flatten the seat and go to sleep
6. Wake up in 4 hours, and repeat 1-5.
7. Where the heck did I put my custom form? Ask the FA to get me another one.
8. Fill out the form with Vodka in hand
9. Arriving at PEK. Just in time for the bed at hotel. Taxi drivers don't even expect tips.

Enjoy :-)
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:11 pm

I strongly second g46r's recommendation. My only modification would be to change "Get a champagne right away" to "Get a bottle of champagne right away".

My YVR-HKG flight following that guide goes down as probably the best flight of my life (that I wasn't piloting).
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador & Priority Club Plat, Hhonors Gold, Air Miles Gold
Originally Posted by Santander
Congratulations!

Oh yeah, if you aren't elite, you should know that flying C pretty much entitles you to be "SE for a day". You will get priority check-in/boarding, MLL access and concierge service. Plus you deplane first at PEK so customs/immigration will be that much easier. Some would argue that you should try to eat/drink/take in as much as possible, but don't let that detract from a good sleep. The bed's the main reason why people pay to sit up front.
IMHO these are some of the best parts about flying J (if you're not already E or SE) - you get to use priority check-in at the airport, check extra bags if you're so inclined, visit the Maple Leaf Lounge before you board, get priority boarding, get to deboard the plane first, and go through customs / immigration first. Also, access to the concierges if anything goes wrong. Enjoy!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NewYorkLHR
Hey, been reading FT for a while, have never posted anything yet but here goes...

In a few weeks I am scheduled to fly on AC YYZ-PEK...fortunately in J for the 13 hour flight

I've always been intrigued with airlines/air travel and have flown a fair share in Y but never had the chance to see what life is like on the other side of the curtain.

Would appreciate any advice on what to expect and how to make this experience the best possible one

Thanks!
Welcome to your first post on FT!

Just prepare to feel more relaxed in J.. You'll actually get a couple of meals..
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Congratulations!
AC's C is one of the best, so you won't be disappointed. (although the FAs are not as young and pretty as some other airlines... lol)
I usually fly VS... I guess I gotta adjust my expectations

Where in the C cabin are you sitting? Some parts are a bit quieter than others although the entire cabin is much quieter than Y.
I'm in 3A...hopefully this is a good seat

Thanks everyone for the replies
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: UA MP
btw if they are still serving it, the south African pinotage is excellent. They had that wine this April and May when I last flew AC.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AC*SE,SPG Platinum,HHounours Gold, FairmontPlat

3A on 77W is Prime Realestate! Far enough from Front and Main Galleys so you won't have that much noise disruptions etc. As some have said on here eat before you get on the flight so that you can take advantage of the Lie Flat Beds. IMHO, AC has a great J Class product but maybe at times inconsistent in their offerings and/or service onboard. I posted the new Menus onboard in J Class for Asia flights so take a look at that as well.^ as someone provided the link for you.
Also mid flight try the Dim Sum and some Jasmine Tea if you feel a little pekish!..
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rehoult
I strongly second g46r's recommendation. My only modification would be to change "Get a champagne right away" to "Get a bottle of champagne right away".

My YVR-HKG flight following that guide goes down as probably the best flight of my life (that I wasn't piloting).
Don't be shy and ask for the Real Stuff. The first glass they offer you is Sparkling Wine and NOT the Drappier Carte D'or....Goat Urine IMO is that Sparkling stuff...undrinkable!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec

Ah, poor you then (not really). VS is one of the few airlines I'd rather fly in C than AC. It's very similar though, just a different style.

Originally Posted by EZESE
3A on 77W is Prime Realestate!

Also mid flight try the Dim Sum and some Jasmine Tea if you feel a little pekish!..
Agree, 3A/K are my favourite seats on the 77W. Right in the middle of the first cabin with a nice view. Another +1 on the snack, dim sum and jasmine tea is my favourite too!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:44 am
Suspended

Ah, poor you then (not really). VS is one of the few airlines I'd rather fly in C than AC. It's very similar though, just a different style.

Agree, 3A/K are my favourite seats on the 77W. Right in the middle of the first cabin with a nice view. Another +1 on the snack, dim sum and jasmine tea is my favourite too!
WOW we agree on something finally!!^
Old Jun 15, 2011, 6:00 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
A lot of us prefer 6A/K (or 11A/K) because those seats are more private and ahave some extra storage room.

With respect to food, you will also have the option of ordering an express meal. It's the regular main meal, but comes with the appetizer and dessert on a tray all at once. You can get that very quickly if you want to sleep, or hold it until later.

Enjoy the experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.