FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Most Significant Carrier Baggage Rules (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1225540-most-significant-carrier-baggage-rules.html)

*A Flyer Jun 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Most Significant Carrier Baggage Rules

How is AC applying the new IATA Resolution 302 rules on baggage? I understand that there is supposed to be a move to the Most Significant Carrier concept. However, AC's website still reflects that rule as being based on the "first checkin carrier". I'd just rather not get a shock at the airport checking in for an AC flight connecting to NZ and have them try and enfore the NZ limits given they are the MSC. Thanks.

CalgaryLankan Nov 29, 2011 1:55 pm

Any update on this? AC website is still bit sketchy with AC domestic and other airline international sector combination ticket

YOWandbeyond Nov 29, 2011 4:10 pm

I asked that question a few months ago (AC and LH) but no clarity so far.

CalgaryLankan Dec 1, 2011 9:09 am

I got a very good reply in writing from AC Social Media via Facebook - I am entitled for 2 pcs all the way from YYC with no fee on a trip involving AC domestic and other carrier crossing Atlantic. However they will not accept or deny of using IATA 302 and MSC rule in my case, but it looks like this is the applicable rule in my case (unless there is another rule)

canforce Dec 1, 2011 9:38 am

Phoned Lufthansa today.

Flying BRU - FRA - YYZ.

BRU - FRA is on Lufthansa. Lufthansa says that they are the first carrier, so their baggage rules apply. When I asked him about the MSC, he said no, it is not applicable.

Ticket was bought and paid for via ac.com, and is ticketed with a 014 number.

yow777 Dec 11, 2011 7:31 am

Regarding Lufthansa's MSC rules, they have it posted on their website.

Here http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...d=3331125&l=en

AA_EXP09 Dec 11, 2011 10:01 am

I don't see how AC is applying Res 302, as they are still charging pax YYC-HKG if they bring 2 bags, even though CX would be MSC.

yvr76 Dec 11, 2011 10:31 am

Originally Posted by josh_saunders (Post 17547162)
Phoned Lufthansa today.

Flying BRU - FRA - YYZ.

BRU - FRA is on Lufthansa. Lufthansa says that they are the first carrier, so their baggage rules apply. When I asked him about the MSC, he said no, it is not applicable.

Ticket was bought and paid for via ac.com, and is ticketed with a 014 number.

If FRA YYZ is on AC metal, how can they claim this? Their own web site contradicts this. Does your AC ticket show you the 'free baggage allowance' you're entitled to? That's apparently what LH is supposed to use even though they're the first segment.

1Newflyer Dec 11, 2011 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by yow777 (Post 17604903)
Regarding Lufthansa's MSC rules, they have it posted on their website.

Here http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...d=3331125&l=en

I was informed by Lufthansa agent that MSC is in force as above and is to be accepted by AC as it pertains to my ticket. I am booked on
YYC-EWR AC Y
EWR-MUC LH J
MUC-KRK LH Y

KRK-MUC LH J
MUC-YUL LH J
YUL-YYC AC Y

So LH is MSC and the rules applies to entire trip, the nice lady said.

However, I did not talk to a nice lady at AC yet to confirm they will honor the rule when I check in with them at the first leg.

Has anyone talk to AC on this topic?

AA_EXP09 Dec 11, 2011 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer (Post 17606401)
I was informed by Lufthansa agent that MSC is in force as above and is to be accepted by AC as it pertains to my ticket. I am booked on
YYC-EWR AC Y
EWR-MUC LH J
MUC-KRK LH Y

KRK-MUC LH J
MUC-YUL LH J
YUL-YYC AC Y

However, I did not talk to a nice lady at AC yet to confirm they will honor the rule when I check in with them at the first leg.

Yes, but without any progress.
They still aren't reimbursing the $73.50......
I also talked to CX, who said that they didn't get any of AC's bag fees.

divjan May 31, 2012 1:37 pm

any updates on MSC rules, is AC using them or no??

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer (Post 17606401)
YYC-EWR AC Y
EWR-MUC LH J
MUC-KRK LH Y

KRK-MUC LH J
MUC-YUL LH J
YUL-YYC AC Y

DavidYYC May 31, 2012 2:15 pm

My wife flying on J reward ticket as a Prestige was not allowed her third bag as per the MSC rule. She was flying ZRH-FRA (LH) -YYC (AC).

They said at check-in that they have no record of this rule as it pertains to AC-P and insisted on charging her a sum that would covered the extra bag all the way to YYC. Euros180.
If she was checking in at FRA as a P on AC in J she would have been allowed the third bag.
She had do the rather undignified "repacking bags performance" in the check-in hall so she only needed to check in two bags and carried the third (smaller ) bag as carry-on.

I am very leery of airlines and their rule applications. You are TOTALLY at the mercy whoever tries to apply their version of the rules, even if they are wrong.

PlaneWatcherYYC Jun 2, 2012 10:41 am

AC along with several other airlines are not using MSC Rules..

Originally Posted by divjan (Post 18674937)
any updates on MSC rules, is AC using them or no??

yvr76 Jun 2, 2012 11:11 am

Originally Posted by DavidYYC (Post 18675194)
They said at check-in that they have no record of this rule as it pertains to AC-P and insisted on charging her a sum that would covered the extra bag all the way to YYC. Euros180.

The baggage rules for each PAX should be part of their PNR based on the MSC so it's not up to the other airline to sort out.

So in this case did they refuse to recognize the rule, or just didn't know how it applied to AC-P for J class? i.e. if your wife was flying in Y, would they have allowed 2x50lbs, or if she was AC-E in Y or J, would they have allowed 3x70lbs?

HerpaYvr Jun 2, 2012 3:33 pm

THE MSC rule is one that challenges me. This year I am flying a lot with three bags as I am moving a lot of "stuff" with me. On may 17th at the TAP counter in LIS I checked in 3 bags and the agent said no, I said YES. I went onto to say that I have time and the extremely long line up of already frustrated people can wait and I would be more than happy to explain to them of the "traning issue" we are having. She allowed the third bag! I am a nice person, but I also know what the rules are and I will push and push hard to win. Yes I like win/win situations but you do get tired of playing the game at times.

Back in February in MUC I was smart enought to have kept all seven pages of my itinary and I showed her in black and white and she accepted it! Three bags checked in........no priority tags though!!!! see win/win!:D