Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Using E-Upgrades for AC Operated UA codeshares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Using E-Upgrades for AC Operated UA codeshares

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Using E-Upgrades for AC Operated UA codeshares

Has anyone had any experiences with this particular beast? Can you request it during OLCI, or do you have to ask at the lounge?

Also, how does this work with using it for a nominee?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Bump

I have a similar question: But instead of UA, my question is about NH...
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
From Air Canada Website:

If you are travelling on a codeshare flight operated by Air Canada (e.g. a United-marketed, Air Canada-operated flight), you may only request an upgrade with an Air Canada agent at the airport, or at the departure gate on your day of travel. Please note that some airports are excluded; refer to the codeshare flight information in the 'Airport exceptions' section below.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
From Air Canada Website:

If you are travelling on a codeshare flight operated by Air Canada (e.g. a United-marketed, Air Canada-operated flight), you may only request an upgrade with an Air Canada agent at the airport, or at the departure gate on your day of travel. Please note that some airports are excluded; refer to the codeshare flight information in the 'Airport exceptions' section below.
Interesting, but not 100% true. I was able to request an upgrade at checkin for a recent YYZ-ZRH flight (with a connection to AMS). Flight was swiss codeshare flight operated by Air Canada. When I checked in for the return, just ZRH-YYZ, I also could have requested the upgrade.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA 1K, AC 35K, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Sometimes I am able to request the upgrade during OLCI, at other times I cannot. It's really hit and miss. I have checked in at the airport 24 hours before the flight and I have my name added to the upgrade list. It seems that the codeshare partner releases the flight to AC 24 hours out. Anything earlier than this and upgrade is not possible. I have either done the upgrade request online (at checkin) or at the airport.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:57 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Attempted to use E ugrapdes to upgrade YVR-LAX AC550 sold as UA8165 through united.ca, with an AC booking reference number.

Ticket shows up in "manage my bookings" on aircanada.com (including the flight through to request an upgrade) but when you sign in, click through and get to the last screen, you have to wait until you arrive at the airport

I called in and was told by a friendly agent that this is due to "system incompatibility" issues and that I should present my self at the check in counter 4 hours before the flight.

It's too bad that on a 9 seat cabin (E90) there is not much hope of anything left at that point, or that the advanced system can not accomodate these requests.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73

It's too bad that on a 9 seat cabin (E90) there is not much hope of anything left at that point, or that the advanced system can not accomodate these requests.
By then, the deadheading staff have already reached out to the GAs to have them upgraded into the "empty" seats.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE - So both of my codeshare upgrades cleared...but it must be requested at the airport, and will only be granted by the GA just before boarding commences.

You can also have a nominee request the upgrade from your account, but you need to give them your AP # for the agent to enter, and they must be pre-approved nominees.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 1:50 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
E-upgrade on Codeshares - not an easy or convenient process!

Originally Posted by DaveTO
By then, the deadheading staff have already reached out to the GAs to have them upgraded into the "empty" seats.
So further to my above post. 24 hours before departure and R space = 7. AC550 YVR-LAX (sold as United because it was cheaper), I arrived at the airport 2hrs and 40 minutes ahead of flight time and asked the counter check in person to process UA Codeshare Upgrade on AC metal.

The upgrades were one for myself, one for my son (on same reservation) and one for Ms World Traveller 73 (nominee - but different reservation).

Was told off the bat from AC staff that they didn't think that I could upgrade on a United Ticket.

Stood firm and said it was possible on the AC website.

We were assigned economy seats while they checked the "help desk" and the supervisor. This took about 20 extra minutes at the front end.

Finally, all upgrades cleared 30 minutes before the flight by the gate agent. I took it upon my self to report at the gate pretty much as soon as there was an agent there.

It seemed as thought the Pilot's son was given an upgrade before me though. I was first in line at the gate, and when I said that I was there for upgrades, the GA told the son to disregard his boarding pass as the seat number would change.

In hindsight, it seemed like a lot of work for something that should have been fairly straight forward. Not really complaining, but if you wanted a relaxed travel experience, you should probably look elsewhere (or pay more $ and get the ticket from AC themselves).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.