Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Missing Miles from Account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Missing Miles from Account

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:02 am
c_9
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Question Missing Miles from Account

This morning, both Mr. c_9 and Mr. c_9's husband are missing points from our accounts - 5,000-10,000 in fact. Anybody else seeing this, or have an idea of what's happened?

(it's not the 1-year rule since we are very active, or expired points since that's not until 2013, or withdrawal due to redemption)
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:02 am
c_9
Original Poster

Mystery solved: an incorrect crediting of points from 2009 (!) was discovered and corrected. (incorrectly, since the numbers should be different)

Which sucks. Those points were a nice surprise at the time. The tickets were a contest prize, and should not have earned the mileage they did.

But this raises a fascinating question: Aeroplan has someone whose job it is to check credits from 1.5 years ago and correct errors?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by c_9

But this raises a fascinating question: Aeroplan has someone whose job it is to check credits from 1.5 years ago and correct errors?

Probably AC, not Aeroplan.

Looks like they continue having unnecessary levels of rather expensive mid-managers who need to justify their existence with nothing important to do.

Clearly catching cheaters and free wheelers is something that's absolutely necessary no matter the cost. Not that long that they were part of the CRA I guess.

Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger

Looks like they continue having unnecessary levels of rather expensive mid-managers who need to justify their existence with nothing important to do.

Clearly catching cheaters and free wheelers is something that's absolutely necessary no matter the cost. Not that long that they were part of the CRA I guess.

I'm surprised that they would go and audit points a year back..

really, for that mistake, they should compensate OP and give back the miles..

But this is AC we're talking about.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:46 pm
c_9
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger

Though really, I suspect finding the error took not too long. If the staffer is correcting say 50,000 mis-credited miles per day (we were about 14,000) that's a big chunk of money not spent either on buying the miles (if it's AC) or buying reward flights (if it's AE). If the errors are that common, then the job makes sense. But I have a sample size of two, or just one booking, which is not statistically significant.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:58 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
shouldn't there be some limitation on how far they can claw back? similar to asking for miles to be reinstated

1.5 years seems a bit too long, wonder what they would have done if you don't have the miles for them to claw back, do they flag you and wait till you fly enough before they take it?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wwtsang
shouldn't there be some limitation on how far they can claw back? similar to asking for miles to be reinstated

1.5 years seems a bit too long, wonder what they would have done if you don't have the miles for them to claw back, do they flag you and wait till you fly enough before they take it?
Statute of limitations in Alberta is 2 years.. other provinces are higher..

But Statute of limitations, specifically in Canada is not less than 2 years, so yes, unfortunately the airline can go back and change it..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.