Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I'm in the MLL/AC Cafe/Signature Suite now......Lounge meet-up master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This is a master thread to post any lounge meet up requests / invite requests forum members might have. It'd be great if you could post your lounge guesting/request in the same format as below...
A reminder - those offering guesting are quite happy to be guested to a superior lounge!

If you have the ability to make changes to the WIKI, please do so yourself rather than replying to the thread! If you are asking to be guested, please only add to the wiki - do not post in the thread.

OFFER REQUEST MEET (i.e. will be there but can't guest) dd-MMM-yyyy / hh:mm / XXX / Terminal Lounge / FlyerTalkName
Please note the date format so as to avoid confusion

Please do not write OFFER/MEET; if you are able to guest someone in, it is implied you can also meet them without guesting them in.
Print Wikipost

I'm in the MLL/AC Cafe/Signature Suite now......Lounge meet-up master thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Makes sense. But aren't the staff on overtime now at the MLL?
I have no idea how that works.

I mean I really have no idea how any of this works, but I can at least speculate on most of this. I have zero understanding of unions.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have no idea how that works.

I mean I really have no idea how any of this works, but I can at least speculate on most of this. I have zero understanding of unions.
You and me both.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I wish YVR transborder had a "policy" like that.

Heck, I wish YWG had a policy like that
The AC website says MLLs close 30min before the last AC flight departure. (I've experienced domestic MLLs close ~40min before departure, but generally the MLLs seem to stick to this policy).

That being said, I assume the opening hours are based the las scheduled AC flight and the lounge will only stay open in the event of delays if sufficient staff is available etc.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
The AC website says MLLs close 30min before the last AC flight departure. (I've experienced domestic MLLs close ~40min before departure, but generally the MLLs seem to stick to this policy).
I think the policy is actually 30 minutes prior to the last "scheduled" departure.

Which is the problem
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Jasper2009

That being said, I assume the opening hours are based the las scheduled AC flight and the lounge will only stay open in the event of delays if sufficient staff is available etc.
You and I have been in different MLL's then.

YVR Dom - Tries to close between 11-11:30pm despite redeyes departing well after Midnight.

YYZ Dom - Tries to close 11:15-11:45pm (depending on the pax load) when the last flight out to YUL (IIRC) is 12:30am. There is even a new plaque in the elevator clearly showing a Midnight closure and the dragons insisted when shown that it was wrong and put a sticky note over it to reflect 11:30pm!

YYC - Has been reported closed before midnight, again with redeyes departing well after midnight.

YUL TB - Closes at 8, even if AC flights are delayed past that (which IME is a frequent experience). Station supervisor agreed they should be open but says its out of his hands despite being in his airport.

I have heard excuses from the cleaners need to get in, to ''we don't get paid this late'', to ''it's always been this way'', the AC website/altitude twitter/Ben Smith are wrong'', ''you need to be at your gate 30-45 mins prior to departure'', to ''no one has ever complained about our closing hours before, it's not really an issue''.

The only thing I've found that is somewhat effective in asking the dragons to follow the published rules/back is to ask for a manager to come and explain why they are closing earlier than their posted time/rules. They usually tend to back down after that. But as someone who flies/arrives late at night its really annoying to have to fight maintain the published rules!

So moral of the story is if anyone is in a MLL and seeing they are trying to close early, please provide immediate assertive feedback to the dragons. This is the only way its going to change.

Last edited by kwflyer; Aug 11, 2015 at 12:43 am
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
What an airline pays the PPL is likely much higher than what a *A airline pays the MLL, which is also likely much higher than what AC charges themselves for the MLL.
Highly doubtful *A has fixed payment rules for carriers that are often much higher than the retail price of a PPL admission.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I think the policy is actually 30 minutes prior to the last "scheduled" departure.

Which is the problem
Yep.

However, one time when I was a super delayed flight, the lounge dragon and the contract crew collectively agreed to stay open for us an extra hour. Totaly did not expect that and it was definitely a kind and unecessary gesture. ^
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yep.

However, one time when I was a super delayed flight
And now you have been reincarnated as a human?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kwflyer
Highly doubtful *A has fixed payment rules for carriers that are often much higher than the retail price of a PPL admission.
I think that one more word would help me understand your point. Do you mean that it is highly doubtful that *A has..., or that it is highly doubtful because *A has...?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YEG2MM
And now you have been reincarnated as a human?
Nope!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Sitting in the YVR Domestic MLL for the next 10-15 minutes. Sitting by the window at the top of the stairs next to gate 50 in a black polo. Come say hi or meet me at YYC in a couple of hours!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:34 am
Suspended

Anyone else notice in YVR DOM that AC is too cheap to use their own wine glasses and rely on the AMEX branded ones?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Anyone else notice in YVR DOM that AC is too cheap to use their own wine glasses and rely on the AMEX branded ones?
I noticed that too a week ago. Thought it was unsual (read pretty funny)

But the good thing is, there are now plenty of wine glasses
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DNAwizard
I noticed that too a week ago. Thought it was unsual (read pretty funny)

But the good thing is, there are now plenty of wine glasses
The funny thing is, those are the exact same wine glasses that AMEX uses for taste testing in the YYZ DOM lounge. I wasn't aware they offered that in YVR (didn't see any stands), so I'm thinking someone shipped them in the cargo from YYZ and didn't bother telling AMEX.

I was wondering why one of the AMEX reps at YYZ DOM was remarking they were low on wine glasses so they were asking you to bring back your first glass if you wanted a refill.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:01 pm

The funny thing is, those are the exact same wine glasses that AMEX uses for taste testing in the YYZ DOM lounge. I wasn't aware they offered that in YVR (didn't see any stands), so I'm thinking someone shipped them in the cargo from YYZ and didn't bother telling AMEX.

I was wondering why one of the AMEX reps at YYZ DOM was remarking they were low on wine glasses so they were asking you to bring back your first glass if you wanted a refill.
Naw, I remember they for sure had the AMEX sampling in YVR.
Not sure if it's still going on, but I know they only sample on certain days of the week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.