Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Reward Changes After Departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Reward Changes After Departure

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 12:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC*SE,SPG Platinum,HHounours Gold, FairmontPlat
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Ok.. thanks.

I always thought the $90 change fee applied.. so we're good there.

So after departure and completing the departure leg.. I wouldn't have been able to change to a different routing than what was originally booked? Thus the Arrival would had to have been the same routing and carrier but on a different day? Or is it the remaining connections of the departure.. or both?

Its good 5 months ago that they changed this.. I would have been some hoopla to jump through to find another day that works on the same routing and carrier..

I could have sworn over the years, I've made changes to the arrival routing, and date while in the middle of my vacation.
Yes you were permitted before if all the flights were an AC Classic Rewards and only booked on AC flights you were allowed to make changes to the routing and dates etc.
Old May 19, 2011, 1:55 pm

How does the one year ticket validity work for changes after departure?

For example, I book in May 2011 for travel in March 2012. After my trip has started, I want to extend my stay by six months, to return in September 2012 instead of March 2012.

The final segment would be less than a year after first departure, but more that a year after I booked the ticket. Is this allowed?
Old May 19, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by echino
How does the one year ticket validity work for changes after departure?

For example, I book in May 2011 for travel in March 2012. After my trip has started, I want to extend my stay by six months, to return in September 2012 instead of March 2012.

The final segment would be less than a year after first departure, but more that a year after I booked the ticket. Is this allowed?
From my experience this is allowed... I've done it on my last 2 mini RTW bookings. As long as the first flight takes place within 1 year of booking and the remaining flights take place within 1 year of the first departure everything should be good.

Adrian
Old May 19, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Andrew Yiu confirmed on the recent award leve changes thread that you have 1 year from departure date to complete your travel. Your departure date must be within 1 year of ticket issue.

So one can book reward before Jul 15 2011 under current award chart, first leg YYZ -YUL in Jul 2012, then continue with the rest of the mini-RTW in Jun 2013.
Old May 19, 2011, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by beep88
Andrew Yiu confirmed on the recent award leve changes thread that you have 1 year from departure date to complete your travel. Your departure date must be within 1 year of ticket issue.

So one can book reward before Jul 15 2011 under current award chart, first leg YYZ -YUL in Jul 2012, then continue with the rest of the mini-RTW in Jun 2013.
Lets say you book next July 2012..

Can you make a change on the ticket next June 2012 for a change in departure to June 2013?
Old May 20, 2011, 11:57 am

Can you make a change on the ticket next June 2012 for a change in departure to June 2013?
I would imagine that is allowed. I wasn't going to book my mini-RTW and were willing to settle for increased F award levels in the future until I saw AY's confirmation and other info in that thread that you can change itinerary and extend the travel date for as much as 2 years.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:11 pm

You would only be able to extend to June 2013 after you have flown the first leg... So book for July 2012, fly 1st leg July 2012, then change remaining legs to June 2013.

As an example on my mini-RTW I'm going to fly the first leg to FRA in June 2012, then book a paid R/T FRA-YYC and continue the mini-RTW in December 2012 to BKK, another paid R/T BKK-YYC, then finish it off in May 2013 BKK-YYC.

Adrian
Old May 20, 2011, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fritz_Blitz
You would only be able to extend to June 2013 after you have flown the first leg... So book for July 2012, fly 1st leg July 2012, then change remaining legs to June 2013.

As an example on my mini-RTW I'm going to fly the first leg to FRA in June 2012, then book a paid R/T FRA-YYC and continue the mini-RTW in December 2012 to BKK, another paid R/T BKK-YYC, then finish it off in May 2013 BKK-YYC.

Adrian
Thanks for the clarification..

so probably not worth it to book then..

Was wondering if the entire departure could be deferred another year as well (with an entire round trip deferred the year) with a change fee.. but I guess you can't do that according to the rules.
Old May 20, 2011, 3:57 pm

Thanks for the clarification..

so probably not worth it to book then..

Was wondering if the entire departure could be deferred another year as well (with an entire round trip deferred the year) with a change fee.. but I guess you can't do that according to the rules.
You can kind of defer the whole thing...

As an example, if you wanted to book an Asia 1 round trip, with no stopovers, at the lower redemption levels you could look at doing something like:

June 2012 - YQL/YEG - YYC
Then by June 2013 fly YYC-ASIA1-YYC

You'd have a stopover (YYC) and an open jaw (YQL/YEG-YYC) so you'd only be able to go the destination in Asia, but you would essentially end up with a YYC-ASIA1 award at the lower redemption levels with a 2 year validity and you'd just have to find a way to get to YQL or YEG to start your first leg.

Adrian
Old May 20, 2011, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fritz_Blitz
You can kind of defer the whole thing...

As an example, if you wanted to book an Asia 1 round trip, with no stopovers, at the lower redemption levels you could look at doing something like:

June 2012 - YQL/YEG - YYC
Then by June 2013 fly YYC-ASIA1-YYC

You'd have a stopover (YYC) and an open jaw (YQL/YEG-YYC) so you'd only be able to go the destination in Asia, but you would essentially end up with a YYC-ASIA1 award at the lower redemption levels with a 2 year validity and you'd just have to find a way to get to YQL or YEG to start your first leg.

Adrian
Intriguing.. I will have to mull over that for Hawaii possibility..

Must mull quick though.. as the mileage increases are happening July 15, 2011!
Old May 25, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Just called and the Aeroplan agent said that any changes after July 15th would be subject to the new levels.

At the very least, I wish Aeroplan would offer consistency with this significant change. I suspect trying to change a ticket after July 15th will result in a headache.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by turtleisland
Just called and the Aeroplan agent said that any changes after July 15th would be subject to the new levels.

At the very least, I wish Aeroplan would offer consistency with this significant change. I suspect trying to change a ticket after July 15th will result in a headache.
I thought one of our Evangelists had already clarified this, and stated that changes are possible for the existing levels after July 15th. as long as you are staying in the same destination zone, and the ticket is issued before July 15th. Can someone please confirm this will be the case?
Old May 26, 2011, 9:41 am

As official as it gets:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16230321-post195.html
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Another confused person. Sorry.

Originally Posted by CdnTraveller
The conditions of change are actually listed on the website:

Prior to your reward travel, but after your reward ticket has been issued

37. Before you depart, you're welcome to change your flight reward travel with Air Canada, Star Alliance and Air Canada Jazz, depending on the availability of rewards. To make a change, please call the Aeroplan Contact Centre.

Once reward travel has begun

38. Once you embark, you can still make changes to your reward travel electronic tickets on Air Canada and Air Canada Jazz, depending on reward space availability. For paper ticket holders, the passenger can access an Air Canada ticket counter, if a ticket reissue is necessary. All changes must be within the same reward zone. To make a change, please call the Aeroplan Contact Center.[/I]
Item 38 seems to me like I am only able to change my return portion once travel has begun if I am flying on Air Canada metal. If I am flying on LH then I am out of luck, correct?

Thank you very much.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:38 am

Booking for multi-stop or flexible return date/location

I've done any complex travel reward booking. So, a few questions for some potential routings that I'm looking

1) Multi-Stop as 1 one-way: I'm in Hong Kong, and thinking to use miles to do a HKG->YYZ->LHR (London, UK). How do I do as 1 trip with a stop-over? (In this case, I may buy a one-way ticket from London back to HK)

2) Open Return date: if I book HKG->YYZ round trip, can I leave the return date open from YYZ, instead of paying the $90 fees? (In this case, I will buy a round trip ticket with AirTransact between London and Toronto)

3) Open Return location: If I book round trip from HKG<->YYZ, and decide to do HKG->YYZ, and then YVR->HKG as return, do I also pay $90 only?

Thanks a lot for any insights and help.
Eric

Originally Posted by mboca28
i wish i could have used this in the past a couple of times we wanted to stay longer or a better return option became available and i couldnt change

for example i have booked YYZ-DTW-FRA( A class)-BLQ 6/15

return BLQ-FRA-DTW-YYZ 7/6 but we want BLQ-FRA-MIA( stopover)-YYZ

this is a valid routing by the way and you get the A 380 fra to miami

Lufthansa always releases upon availabilty 3 weeks prior and based on availability and past experience the fra-mia will become available

Are you telling me that I can change my routing once I have travelled to BLQ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.