Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FYI - F Award Tickets using LH YYC-FRA-YYC Downgraded

FYI - F Award Tickets using LH YYC-FRA-YYC Downgraded

Old May 11, 2011, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A Few
Exclamation FYI - F Award Tickets using LH YYC-FRA-YYC Downgraded

Just a heads up for everyone. I checked a booking of mine this morning to find that for the second year in a row LH has switched to 2 cabin service for the Winter (2011-12) schedule.

Anyone holding F tickets on LH YYC-FRA-YYC will likely now find themselves bumped back into business.

It also looks like they are cancelling Tuesday and Thursday service.

I got on the phone after finding a new routing that I would be satisfied with. Agent processed my requested changes in about 15 minutes...and of course no charges apply so that's nice.
Old May 11, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
If you're going to have to fly business on this route, I'd see if you can transfer over to AC, a superior product to LH's business product.
Old May 11, 2011, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC*SE,SPG Platinum,HHounours Gold, FairmontPlat
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
If you're going to have to fly business on this route, I'd see if you can transfer over to AC, a superior product to LH's business product.
The seat on AC may be superior granted...but the serice on LH is much more superior than AC could ever dream of being in Business Class.
FYI, every winter sched the same happens to the LH#470/471 FRA-YYZ-FRA goes to a 2 cabin aircraft but the yearly YUL-MUC LH#475/474 stays a 3 cabin class aircraft.
Old May 11, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by EZESE
The seat on AC may be superior granted...but the serice on LH is much more superior than AC could ever dream of being in Business Class.
FYI, every winter sched the same happens to the LH#470/471 FRA-YYZ-FRA goes to a 2 cabin aircraft but the yearly YUL-MUC LH#475/474 stays a 3 cabin class aircraft.
Agreed on seat and service.

I would add AC's cabin is superior (everyone with a private seat and aisle access). The AC pax/fa/lav ratio is better. I prefer AC's IFE choices but that's just me. Wine (especially the unpublished "surprise" wines) on AC are better. Again, my personal preference but I prefer that almost all AC aircraft have air nozzles; none on LH on any aircraft.

But agree on LH service (not that AC is "bad"; it's just okay) and would also give LH the significant advantage on food (creatively, diversity, preparation, choices).
Old May 11, 2011, 10:24 pm

Beware AC's superior fuel surcharge.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tracon

Usually exactly the same as LH. If not, book the AC codeshare on lh.com.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Food and service is better on LH. Seat is fine. I can sleep anywhere.
Old May 12, 2011, 7:49 am
Original Poster

I prefer LH food and beverage over AC but certainly give AC higher marks for the Executive First pod. I don't like the LH Business Class seat at all for sleeping. However the AC flight didn't have any Business Award space on our travel dates and since it was LH making the downgrade AC/AE will not open space. It all worked out fine. I rerouted us to ORD on UA F (obviously nothing special) to catch LH F there and changed our return to LX F from ZRH to YUL and then home to YYC on AC J.
Old May 12, 2011, 8:37 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tracon
This is exactly the reason I try to avoid AC for Aeroplan travel whenever I can. I recently booked a roundtrip to Asia for next spring and Air Canada is charging $557.40 fuel surcharge for the ticket, bring the total taxes & fees to over $700. It's criminal. I'll be constantly monitoring availability on NZ, UA and OZ and will switch my ticket to get rid of the YQ.
Old May 12, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I can sleep anywhere.
You can sleep "anywhere" or you can sleep "anywhere so long as it's in the front of the bus"?
Old May 12, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Good to know at least one 3 cabin stays on route per year
Old May 12, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: AC SE
what can i do if this affects me? I am booked on lh495 feb 17 2012 in F
Old May 12, 2011, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 300rwhp
what can i do if this affects me? I am booked on lh495 feb 17 2012 in F
If you check your booking I think you'll see you are now booked into 'I' Class (Business). You can do nothing, fly in Business and ask Aeroplan for a partial refund of miles for the downgrade or you can look for alternatives.

I find I get the best results when I find alternative flights with available award inventory myself and they tell the AE agent or schedule change department what I want.

You do not have to anything now if you don't want to. AE will not likely inform you for months to come.

You now hold fully flexible award ticket. Any flight/routing changes required due the downgrade will not incur a change fee or tax/fee recalculation. You can also cancel with no cancel fee.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: AC SE
Thanks YYCworldtraveler. In response to the change i have altered to the following;

yyc-yul AC Y - can i force AC to open up J seats?
YUL-ZRH LX F
ZRH-FRA LH J

Will I be able to enter the FRA First Class Terminal? it is the only reason I was going through FRA.

Thank you especially to the OP
Old May 12, 2011, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by 300rwhp
Thanks YYCworldtraveler. In response to the change i have altered to the following;

yyc-yul AC Y - can i force AC to open up J seats?
YUL-ZRH LX F
ZRH-FRA LH J

Will I be able to enter the FRA First Class Terminal? it is the only reason I was going through FRA.

Thank you especially to the OP
What are you flying out of FRA? If you are departing on LH in F then yes, if not, then no.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.