Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Changes to the minimum mile accumulation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G

Effective for travel as of August 1, 2011, the minimum number of Aeroplan Miles accumulated based on distance flown on Air Canada and Star Alliance member airline flights is changing from 500 to 250 miles:

For distance flown up to 249 miles, Aeroplan members will earn 250 Aeroplan Miles.
For distance flown of 250 miles and more, Aeroplan members will earn miles according to the actual miles flown
This new policy will not impact Air Canada Super Elite, Elite and Prestige members, nor customers travelling on Rapidair flights between Toronto Pearson International Airport and Montreal or Ottawa, or between Toronto City Airport and Montreal as they’ll continue to earn a minimum number of 500 Aeroplan Miles.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/110502.html?src=hp_wn

another reason to leave aeroplan?
Old May 2, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
well that sucks!

YUL-YYZ-YOW is spared, but out west YEG-YYC or YXE/YXR- YEG/YYC not to mention the west coast! Man this is poor as you need to fly higher fares to earn status miles, it was OK on US carriers when paying lower fares having the actual miles earned, although some still gave you the moin of 500!

So if your already AP*E/SE/P you still get a minimum of 500 AP, only if your non status is your climb slowed down
Old May 2, 2011, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I find it odd I get 250 miles for a return flight to Vancouver costing $350+ yet often rent a 3 day weekend car rental from hertz for $55 and get 750 miles. Something is wrong with this!
Old May 2, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
That's an enhancement of benefits of P, E, and SE.
Old May 2, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Doesn't affect E/SE... yet. I don't understand the reasoning behind this, I highly doubt there's some non-elite member out there who's amassed a fortune of AP points from flying YYJ-YVR or YUL-YOW... Another blow to the guys qualifying on segments, as if they didn't have it bad already.
Old May 2, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The cynic in me smells a phased approach here - lower the minimum but protect those with status (even Prestige) then gradually enhance until the 250 mile minimum exists across the board.

But, call it what is is for now. With this latest enhancement (that oddly has a started date of August?!) AC / AE has done well to protect those with status.
Old May 2, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I find it odd I get 250 miles for a return flight to Vancouver costing $350+ yet often rent a 3 day weekend car rental from hertz for $55 and get 750 miles. Something is wrong with this!
I was thinking this also as a Delta Hotels P+ member I can spend $85 for a night and get 1,500 AP per stay!!! $50 avis rental for 500 AP. None of these are status though!

How many times have we read about those brave soles that travel weekly between two short distance cities and earn their status at 500 each way!

Man this change has me fired up!
Old May 2, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver
These changes and enhancements, just continue to be rolled out month after month.
I wonder what is next, and when will it ever stop?
Old May 2, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
United gives 500 minimum to MP members with status.
Non-status flyers get actually miles flown.
That is the way it should be.
Loyalty should be rewarded.
Old May 2, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by RCyyz
The cynic in me smells a phased approach here - lower the minimum but protect those with status (even Prestige) then gradually enhance until the 250 mile minimum exists across the board.

But, call it what is is for now. With this latest enhancement (that oddly has a started date of August?!) AC / AE has done well to protect those with status.
I agree, and I would wager that by the end of 2012 this will be the policy
for those with status as well.

Someone else commented about those qualifying on segments - this
change should not affect them.
Old May 2, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
The frog in the boiler pan

Its the old story- increase the temp in the water 1 degree per hour and the frog boils to death very slowly.......

(or the death by 1000 cuts analogy if you like)

I think I see a new toaster coming in my kitchen.....
Old May 2, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by muskoka
Its the old story- increase the temp in the water 1 degree per hour and the frog boils to death very slowly.......
Frogs, being rational creatures, would just leave the water.
Old May 2, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Just hope that P/E/SE will continue to have 500 statut miles for each segment... not like the 25/50/100 bonus you can choose as privilege
Old May 2, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Someone else commented about those qualifying on segments - this
change should not affect them.
What I meant was that somebody who qualifies based on flying, say YYC-YEG every week is doing a lot of flying but getting relatively few usable miles compared to somebody who goes across the pond every few months. This change would make it even worse for someone who's in their first year of this flying routine or someone who misses P by a couple thousand miles, at least in terms of using their miles. 10k miles for 40 segments?
Old May 2, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Given the price of short flights on AC, this is another insult. It's time FF status was detached from miles flown and tied to revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.