Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Why fly more with AC?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Why fly more with AC?

I just made SE in 3 1/2 months, and I'm wondering why I shouldn't start spreading my dollars around. AP and people on this thread are suggesting that there are good incentives to stay on AC, but all I can see are more upgrade certs. Does anyone know what the threshold bonuses are past 100k miles? Aeroplan's site keeps crashing when I try to find out.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
You can see some "Threshold gifts" here :

http://www1.aeroplan.com/your_aeropl...s_2011/home.do

150k = bonus 25k
200k = bonus 40k
250k = bonus 75k
300k = bonus 150k
(if you don't choose anything else, like a Ipad, a SE Flight-pass...)

Last edited by Yul_voyager; Apr 28, 2011 at 8:21 am
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:01 am

15 for every 20k, 30 for every 100k
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Welcome to FT! ^

Obviously your flying pattern will have some bearing on this, but why not go for top tier in another program?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: AC E50K
I fly other airlines when I have reached my E, usually around August. Last year I tried EVA, Korean, Air Asia, Mandela and Garuda. This year I plan to try China Airlines and other airlines out of HKG.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: AC E
If you fly AC almost exclusively, there's probably no point in splitting your miles. But if there are other airlines you fly fairly regularly, it may make sense to get status with them too, so you can take advantage of their perks when flying with them (e.g. UDU on UACO).
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:59 am

I've almost earned SE for the 3rd year in a row, and already have a few trips booked over the next couple of months that will take me over 100k.

I'm happy to fly *A for work, and earn more points, but I don't see any reason to pay for an AC ticket myself for leisure travel (which I do a lot of).

I'm using this as an opportunity to go to REK on FI, or DL ex JFK.

I also have over 1 million AE miles, so I see this as a time to redeem them. And, if I purchase a cheap Y ticket, and use eupgrades, all the better.

Last year I earned 170k status miles with AC/AE, and now I'm wondering why. Although I'll fly more than that this year, I don't see why I would chose to pay for a ticket on AC, past 100k (work travel aside).
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by SE/MM
I just made SE in 3 1/2 months, and I'm wondering why I shouldn't start spreading my dollars around. AP and people on this thread are suggesting that there are good incentives to stay on AC, but all I can see are more upgrade certs. Does anyone know what the threshold bonuses are past 100k miles? Aeroplan's site keeps crashing when I try to find out.
It seems our welcome mat has gone the way of the Dodo--so just to revive it--welcome to FT SE/MM.
Other than the fact that AC needs your money, the reason to continue with the mileage accumulation is:
1. Adding the miles and bonuses at this level is quite significant.
2. Using your miles--if you have the time--is still reasonable given adequate planning ahead
3. The IKK--when it works--is good deal
4. The concierges are fantastic
5. Of course you get to be more critical
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by SE/MM
Go for 2MM!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Given the recent changes in redemption rates, and that an SE generally piles on 200K in AE miles each year before bonuses, it comes down to how much time one has to actually redeem and use these miles. If you have a large family, then keep on earning those bonus AE miles.

However, it also depends on your travel patterns. If you fly to and within the US, then you should seriously consider earning elite status in the UA, AA or DL programs so you can benefit particularly from unlimited domestic upgrades that each of these carriers provides for its top tier elites with no certs, eCredits or miles required. UA is the easiest to make the transition to, since you keep all your STAR benefits, including lounge access, priority boarding, free checked bags, etc. DL and AA would require you to start as a newbie and suffer the indignities of non-status until you've hit the initial elite tier. Not sure about DL, but AA does offer a Fast Track Challenge to both its Gold and Platinum tiers which helps considerably ease the pain. (Best to start it after July since you will hold your status, if achieved through to the end of February 2013 by earning just the required number of qualifying miles/points which is about 1/3rd what you'd normally have to earn in a full year.)

I hold UA 1K status as well as AC elite status because my travels shifted heavily within the US, and transborder. I have been automatically upgraded to F on all but two flights since this program stated, and when I want to ensure I will be in F, I used regional upgrade credits which are easy to earn as a 1K. This has also led to flying UA on many overseas flights, being able to upgrade those with the 6 SWUs (which are less restrictive than AC's SSWUs and SWUs were). I'll be hitting 100K in AE flying AC flights by mid-summer, but also will have put 50K+ into my UA MP account. Any flying in the fall will be going into my MP account to requalify for 1K, even flight on AC, but I may go for another eCredit tier in AE so I'll have a good stock for flights next January and February on AC.

Everyone's travel differs, so again, the more important consideration is where you fly and who else you could fly other than AC, or who you are currently flying other than AC.

Last edited by Shareholder; Apr 28, 2011 at 10:16 pm
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Generally I can accumlate 125,000 straight points on my cc minimum.. I'm not loyal who I redeem with.. but I target AC for my AE redemptions simply because I can save $75 baggage fee for 3 passengers. Why fly more with AC? The baggage fee has been a reason in the past.. but I've flown DL, UA, US, CO as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.