AC033 upgrading priority

Old Apr 23, 11, 8:22 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: Continental SE 2010, Air Canada Elite 2011
Posts: 82
AC033 upgrading priority

We are flying from LHR to SYD (via YYZ and YVR) on AC and we would like to try our luck upgrading. It looks like a few people have booked business class from YYZ but will leave at YVR, will those seats become available for YYZ passengers or will they be reserved for those getting on in YVR?
soconn is offline  
Old Apr 23, 11, 9:38 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,542
the upgrade list will be transferred over..... upgrade sequence will be based on status, booking class
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Apr 23, 11, 10:06 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: Continental SE 2010, Air Canada Elite 2011
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller View Post
the upgrade list will be transferred over..... upgrade sequence will be based on status, booking class
Thx. I can upgrade the LHR-YYZ segment right now but I'm holding off so that I can try to upgrade the YYZ-SYD leg first. It was booked as one trip and should all be just one upgrade (17 points) but I'm a little scared that the computer will not figure that out and leave me lacking points to do the YYZ-SYD upgrade later. If my first upgrade will cost me 14 points... will the second show as costing just 3 extra points? Has anyone had success / problems with such an itinerary?
soconn is offline  
Old Apr 23, 11, 10:32 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,542
i am guessing you are travelling YYZ-SYD on 26th April. Right now its showing no upgrade availability so it will be waitlisted until they juggle the seats before departure date or at the airport.

however there are 16 J seats open
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Apr 23, 11, 10:45 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SEMM
Posts: 1,903
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes it will calculate using the correct points required. As the previous poster mentioned though you probably will not have the upgrade clear until you arrive at YYZ or YVR.

Last edited by Argonaut1000; Apr 23, 11 at 10:46 am
Argonaut1000 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 11, 11:25 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: Continental SE 2010, Air Canada Elite 2011
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller View Post
i am guessing you are travelling YYZ-SYD on 26th April. Right now its showing no upgrade availability so it will be waitlisted until they juggle the seats before departure date or at the airport.

however there are 16 J seats open
We are flying on the 27th, I think there are 10 seats available but thats just from looking on the seat maps on AC. I'd like to be as high up the waiting list as possible but worried about having issues and needing to call the helpline and missing our chance.
soconn is offline  
Old Apr 23, 11, 12:13 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,542
Originally Posted by soconn View Post
We are flying on the 27th, I think there are 10 seats available but thats just from looking on the seat maps on AC. I'd like to be as high up the waiting list as possible but worried about having issues and needing to call the helpline and missing our chance.
27th is waitlisted now as well..... how high up the waiting list really depends on the number of Super Elites waitlisted already and Elites with higher fare classes than you... calling reservations and doing the ecredit upgrade yourself will end up the same place (the list).
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Apr 23, 11, 4:11 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 1,022
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller View Post
the upgrade list will be transferred over..... upgrade sequence will be based on status, booking class
------------
Are you really sure that upgrade sequence is based on booking class? When you book on-line a prompter advises that a higher fare does not improve upgrade chance.
Lllahim is offline  
Old Apr 23, 11, 5:06 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,542
Originally Posted by Lllahim View Post
------------
Are you really sure that upgrade sequence is based on booking class? When you book on-line a prompter advises that a higher fare does not improve upgrade chance.
1. if there is space available then no.....

2. if there passenger is waitlisted and there are more requests than J seats available (ie. 20 pax over 10 seats) then the deciding factors are status followed by booking class

3. no one ever said higher fare = better upgrade chances......... however with Latitude fare you can request upgrade instantly (either waitlist or confirmed) whereas with Tango Plus you need to wait for you corresponding days in advance 7, 4 and 2 days to request upgrade.

4. number of J seats opened for upgrade are reviewed periodically prior to departure, some passengers may be waitlisted for an upgrade but confirmed several days in advance. Once again the word is "may be"
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Apr 23, 11, 6:59 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: YYZ / IAH
Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, hhonors Diamond
Posts: 3,016
A connecting flight improves your chances considerably. Coming in from LHR will move you way up the upgrade list in YYZ. I'd confirm the LHR leg now as you're starting journey there and won't get the same advantage if the R space dries up.

Connecting brings you above at least those on status originating and perhaps even above the originating SEs on day of flight upgrades. Not fair for those of us that live in yyz, but the way it works.
yyzgigi is online now  
Old Apr 23, 11, 10:27 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Posts: 926
Originally Posted by yyzgigi View Post
A connecting flight improves your chances considerably. Coming in from LHR will move you way up the upgrade list in YYZ. I'd confirm the LHR leg now as you're starting journey there and won't get the same advantage if the R space dries up.

Connecting brings you above at least those on status originating and perhaps even above the originating SEs on day of flight upgrades. Not fair for those of us that live in yyz, but the way it works.
Am confused because I thought the new system did away with any form of advantage due to a connecting flight. Can you explain?
Wings100 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 11, 10:44 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,542
there is extensive discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...e-program.html
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Apr 23, 11, 10:53 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: YYZ / IAH
Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, hhonors Diamond
Posts: 3,016
Originally Posted by Wings100 View Post
Originally Posted by yyzgigi View Post
A connecting flight improves your chances considerably. Coming in from LHR will move you way up the upgrade list in YYZ. I'd confirm the LHR leg now as you're starting journey there and won't get the same advantage if the R space dries up.

Connecting brings you above at least those on status originating and perhaps even above the originating SEs on day of flight upgrades. Not fair for those of us that live in yyz, but the way it works.
Am confused because I thought the new system did away with any form of advantage due to a connecting flight. Can you explain?
The new e upgrade removed the advantage of getting on the list sooner for connecting flights at the upgrade windows. however, as far as I know there are no changes to the advantage placement on the airport priority list.

Of course this is published anywhere.
yyzgigi is online now  
Old Apr 24, 11, 12:12 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 1,022
[QUOTE=global_happy_traveller;16268902]1

if there passenger is waitlisted and there are more requests than J seats available (ie. 20 pax over 10 seats) then the deciding factors are status followed by booking class

----------
That should not happen because under the new system, the difference in fare class is accounted for by the difference in the number of certs required. In the old system, because all SWU are equal value, prioritizing based on fare class is appropriate.
Lllahim is offline  
Old Apr 24, 11, 12:35 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 1,022
Originally Posted by soconn View Post
Thx. I can upgrade the LHR-YYZ segment right now but I'm holding off so that I can try to upgrade the YYZ-SYD leg first. It was booked as one trip and should all be just one upgrade (17 points) but I'm a little scared that the computer will not figure that out and leave me lacking points to do the YYZ-SYD upgrade later. If my first upgrade will cost me 14 points... will the second show as costing just 3 extra points? Has anyone had success / problems with such an itinerary?
----------
I just spoke with an agent concerning upgrade on AC033. Just for the heck of it, I asked if I could be upgraded on the YYC-YVR portion of a YYC-SYD flight when the YYC-YVR window opens. He said I couldn't because the fare was booked YYC-SYD as a through flight. He said I must wait for the YVR-SYD window to request an upgrade for the two legs. Then I asked if I also have to wait for the YVR - YYC window to open before I request an upgrade for the return SYD-YYC leg? At that point he took leave to consult with his supervisor. He came back with this answer: Since YVR is one-day behind SYD, you can request for both legs when the SYD - YVR window opens.

This is all nonesense. I raised a similar question with a concierge at LHR. After a telephone call to someone, he came back with this great answer: "please refer your question to Aeroplan"!

Ask two agents, get three different responses!
Lllahim is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: